Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 02:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,866 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I will be relocating to Columbia summer 2015. He will be attending USC in the fall. I am seeking opinions about neighborhoods that will suit our needs so I can begin researching. I have found that asking people who live in the area is the best place to start. What we are looking for:
- Close to USC (under 20 minute drive)
- Close to recreational activities for our 3 dogs.
- 1-2 bedroom house with fenced yard
- Close enough to 5 points to taxi it home after a night out without going broke
- Rental price range $500-$800 monthly
- Preferably quiet neighborhood

Thanks in advance for the input!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2014, 03:01 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coming.homeSC View Post
My boyfriend and I will be relocating to Columbia summer 2015. He will be attending USC in the fall. I am seeking opinions about neighborhoods that will suit our needs so I can begin researching. I have found that asking people who live in the area is the best place to start. What we are looking for:
- Close to USC (under 20 minute drive)
- Close to recreational activities for our 3 dogs.
- 1-2 bedroom house with fenced yard
- Close enough to 5 points to taxi it home after a night out without going broke
- Rental price range $500-$800 monthly
- Preferably quiet neighborhood

Thanks in advance for the input!
Earlewood Park Neighborhood; the NOMA Dog Park is located in Earlewood Park and it's 5 minutes from USC, the Vista and Five Points.

Old 04-27-2014, 05:08 PM

4,899 posts, read 7,444,707 times
We are also interested in hearing about Elmwood Park. Waccamatt, can you describe it more fully?

Old 04-27-2014, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LynchburgLover View Post
We are also interested in hearing about Elmwood Park. Waccamatt, can you describe it more fully?
Elmwood Park is older and more expensive - homes mostly from the 1900's and 1910's. Earlewood would be mostly homes from the 1920's - 1960's. Cottontown is also nearby and the homes there are mostly 1910's - 1930's. The dog park is part of Earlewood Park, which is a very large park, in general. All 3 neighborhoods are adjacent to one another.

Edit: Laurel Hill is a development of newer homes that is part of the Earlewood Park neighborhood.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:54 AM

362 posts, read 995,216 times
Quote:
Hey Lynchburg, how are you? Both our daughters went to USC, hope your is well. We are going to make the move to Columbia, you thinking about it also?

Old 04-28-2014, 04:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Elmwood Park is older and more expensive - homes mostly from the 1900's and 1910's. Earlewood would be mostly homes from the 1920's - 1960's. Cottontown is also nearby and the homes there are mostly 1910's - 1930's. The dog park is part of Earlewood Park, which is a very large park, in general. All 3 neighborhoods are adjacent to one another.

Edit: Laurel Hill is a development of newer homes that is part of the Earlewood Park neighborhood.
Elmwood park has some beautiful homes. I noticed there is such a spread in property taxes on them, some are posted around $1500, then $6,000, and even $10,000. Matt can you explain why such a spread? They seem to be around the same square footage and lot size.

Thanks

Old 04-28-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraNJ View Post
Hey Lynchburg, how are you? Both our daughters went to USC, hope your is well. We are going to make the move to Columbia, you thinking about it also?
Yes, we are! We're debating between out by Lake Murray or in-town. We want a boat so we're weighing our options. That's why I'd like to hear more about Elmwood Park. We've driven through and it looks very cute. It appears to be undergoing a gentrification because there seems to be a lot of recently remodeled houses on real estate sites. I think it must have been recently designated historic. Is that correct, Waccamatt or Columbiadata? Y'all seem to be the great sources of information.

We're also looking at a number of other lakes but we keep coming back to Columbia! The University has so many activities that we could enjoy -- football, baseball, musical/drama performances and maybe even a class or two!

Regarding daughter: yes, she got a very good job in Northern Virginia, is dating a very nice Gamecock she met through the Alumni Association, found a group house with several other girls and is happy as a clam! Hope yours is doing well, too.

Old 04-28-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Yes, we are! We're debating between out by Lake Murray or in-town. We want a boat so we're weighing our options. That's why I'd like to hear more about Elmwood Park. We've driven through and it looks very cute. It appears to be undergoing a gentrification because there seems to be a lot of recently remodeled houses on real estate sites. I think it must have been recently designated historic. Is that correct, Waccamatt or Columbiadata? Y'all seem to be the great sources of information.

We're also looking at a number of other lakes but we keep coming back to Columbia! The University has so many activities that we could enjoy -- football, baseball, musical/drama performances and maybe even a class or two!

Regarding daughter: yes, she got a very good job in Northern Virginia, is dating a very nice Gamecock she met through the Alumni Association, found a group house with several other girls and is happy as a clam! Hope yours is doing well, too.
Hey Lynchburg,
I tried to send you a direct message so as not to hijack the thread but it won't seem to go through. Are you unable to receive them?

Barbara

Old 04-28-2014, 11:51 AM

I blocked directs because of a couple trolls on here. They're just a bit too weird and you never know about people these days. Same with friend requests. I just don't do those.

Old 04-28-2014, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbaraNJ View Post
Elmwood park has some beautiful homes. I noticed there is such a spread in property taxes on them, some are posted around $1500, then $6,000, and even $10,000. Matt can you explain why such a spread? They seem to be around the same square footage and lot size.

Thanks
Barbara, there are two parts to Elmwood Park. The more expensive homes are located on Park Street and west and the less expensive homes, though mostly still once, are east of Park to Main Street. The $10,000 property taxes may be on multi-family units. I think there are some quadriplexes/small apartment buildings in Elmwood Park. You could look them up on Google street view.

Lynchburg, most of Elmwood Park was gentrified about 25-30 years ago, but parts are still being renovated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area