Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2014, 10:06 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinetree9 View Post
You mean there are states that don't impose a property tax on cars? That's pretty hard to believe in the era of big government and heavy taxation.

I know one state where only land is taxed as personal property. All the other things like cars, boats, planes, motorcycles, etc. are taxed with a tax called Excise Tax. Call it what you will but most all get their taxes one way or another.

I know one state with no sales, tax but their property taxes are outrageous. Same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2014, 06:53 AM

101 posts, read 186,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinetree9 View Post
You mean there are states that don't impose a property tax on cars? That's pretty hard to believe in the era of big government and heavy taxation.
We're moving to Tennessee, which does not have a state income tax or property taxes on cars. However, we'll be paying double property taxes (city and county) on a house, so about three times what we're paying in SC on the same value house. The sales tax is 9.25 percent and there's only a 1.5 percent break on sales tax for food items, so we'll pay 7.75 percent tax on bread, milk, etc. vs. 1 percent in SC.

Personally, I'd rather pay property taxes on a vehicle than to pay such high taxes on a necessity like food. As Tennessee surrounded by so many other states, people can easily save money on purchasing high-dollar items by purchasing across state lines where sales taxes are lower. Tennessee also recently posed a sales tax on Amazon purchases, which will dramatically decrease my purchases from my favorite online retailer. While I do believe the sales-tax-exemption for Amazon and other online retailers is unfair to brick-and-mortar stores, I think it's silly for Tennessee to impose the sales tax when most of the surrounding states do not. I could easily avoid the sales tax by having by Amazon purchases shipped to a family member's home in Mississippi, just across the state line and 20 minutes from where I'll live.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:52 AM

33 posts, read 68,268 times
Pinetree9 I have lived in Wyoming, South Dakota, Nevada and Texas. There is no yearly personal property tax on cars, boats etc. Only small registration fee's each year. Not like the tax in South Carolina.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:20 PM

730 posts, read 1,401,282 times
In SC, you only pay a max of $350 sales tax on those purchases. In most states, you probably pay the full sales tax on them at the purchase. The government will get their money, whether its upfront or over time.

Old 05-03-2014, 01:31 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragdoll27 View Post
Pinetree9 I have lived in Wyoming, South Dakota, Nevada and Texas. There is no yearly personal property tax on cars, boats etc. Only small registration fee's each year. Not like the tax in South Carolina.

Tangible personal property (TPP) is property that can be touched and moved, such as equipment, furniture, boats, automobiles, and other possessions. All states except Oklahoma have exempted from their TPP tax goods that are not used for the production of income, such as household items like furniture and jewelry. (Even in Oklahoma, only six of the 77 counties in the state levy this tax on household property). Many states do continue to tax large household items like motor vehicles and personal watercraft, while other states opt to tax these items with separate excise taxes instead.

Teton County Wyoming:
Vehicle Registration Fees

• Annual county fee (factory cost x depreciation factor x 3%)
    1. This fee is an ad valorem personal property tax and is tax deductible
  • Annual state fee
    1. Passenger vehicle/$15
    2. Vehicle with truck plate/$15-$60 (depending on empty wt.)
  • Sales Tax (paid the first time a vehicle, motorized or non-motorized, is registered)
    1. 6% of net purchase price including documentary fees
    2. Must be paid within 50 days of purchase to avoid penalty or interest
    3. State sales and use tax is 4%.Teton County voters have approved a 1% General Purpose County Option Tax and a 1% Specific Purpose County Option Tax for a total of 6%.
What would you call #1 above?

Generally all are getting it some how. Just under different names.

Old 07-22-2014, 02:42 PM

1 posts, read 1,268 times
I just saw a hime for sale in Vintner's Wood that was reduced from 258 to 239. It's in tne Lex 1 school district, has a community pool. All brick homes. Fenced in yard. The house is 2800 sq feet. If we were moving I would be tempted, but we just relocated here last year.

Old 05-03-2015, 10:05 AM

2 posts, read 5,288 times
Thumbs up Find a realtor

In 2006, I purchased a home in Lexington which has been very satisfactory for me as a single. There are a number of new homes available off of Mineral Springs Rd. you could look at with a realtor. Check out Zillow.com or Realtor.com for your requirements. People do build fences if they want their privacy.

This area is great (I've lived in a dozen different states), and the location I live in is 10 minutes from USC Columbia, 6 minutes from Lake Murray, and within 5 minutes of fine restaurants (Miyo's, Travinia), Best Buy, Target, Publix, Lowes, Home Depot, Kohls, Panera Bread, and more retail establishments moving in soon. It's a nice community with excellent schools. The large mall is about 15 minutes away and has a ton of stores (Dillard's, Belk, JCPenney, Macy's) and eateries (Outback, Olive Garden) anyone would need.

Old 05-05-2015, 10:37 AM

25 posts, read 25,663 times
You won't find anything on the lake with a yard in your price range, not even a fixer-upper. If you want on the lake under 300k, then you are looking at condos.

Homes in upper 200's near the lake aren't hard to find, but if you want a 1/2 acre lot, you may want to consider an older home at a lesser price, then put some renovations into it. 29072 is a very expensive zip code, and proximity to the lake adds to the price.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area