U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-03-2014, 05:07 PM

28 posts, read 35,621 times

Advertisements

Currently, I live in Michigan City, IN. I'm 2 miles (a 7-8 minute drive) from the beach along the shores of Lake Michigan. The beach is beautiful, with free access and easy parking. It's almost indistinguishable from the ocean. In the morning or evening, I can take a quick drive, bring a coffee, and relax for an hour. It's close enough so that I don't need to make a day of it. The only thing wrong with MC is the Midwestern winter. But that's oh, so wrong! So, I'm thinking of moving to SC. I thought I might be able to find something similar if I locate in one of the towns along Lake Murray: Lexington, Irmo, Prosperity, Chapin.... But I'm getting the impression that beach access is limited and is not free. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find what I'm looking for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 10:39 PM

6,495 posts, read 13,546,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocPit45 View Post
Currently, I live in Michigan City, IN. I'm 2 miles (a 7-8 minute drive) from the beach along the shores of Lake Michigan. The beach is beautiful, with free access and easy parking. It's almost indistinguishable from the ocean. In the morning or evening, I can take a quick drive, bring a coffee, and relax for an hour. It's close enough so that I don't need to make a day of it. The only thing wrong with MC is the Midwestern winter. But that's oh, so wrong! So, I'm thinking of moving to SC. I thought I might be able to find something similar if I locate in one of the towns along Lake Murray: Lexington, Irmo, Prosperity, Chapin.... But I'm getting the impression that beach access is limited and is not free. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where I might find what I'm looking for?
Lake Murray is nothing like a great lake; it is much smaller and most of the lakefront property is occupied with single family homes. There also aren't really any waves. There is a public beach next to the dam. I think there is a small charge to enter. There is also Dreher Island State Park, which is located on the lake. Columbia is less than 2 hours from the Charleston area beaches and we also have nice riverfront parks in the downtown area.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 983 times
Hello, new member here, although I remember waccamatt from another forum years ago.

I moved here from Florida in 2004. Lake Murray is beautiful but like many public works around the city, access is lacking. The aformentioned parks are nice enough, but overloaded and honestly not always the crowd I like to hang around with. There are no grand projects on the lake or river with nice access. I am very disappointed that non lake residents are shut out the way we are. In Florida if there was a beautiful area, you can be sure there was a way to access it. But in South Carolina, if you don't live on the lake, then it does not exist. At least that's how I feel. I don't feel entitled to a $1 million dollar house on the lake, but I do feel entitled to more/better parks. Don't let me turn you off to Columbia. As there are many things I am disappointed with and things I think are a complete joke and shameful, overall I have enjoyed life better since moving here. It IS a great place to live. I just don't understand why I pay state taxes for nothing when in FL I paid nothing for everything. But FL priced me out of the housing market. That's why I left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or