Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 06:32 PM

199 posts, read 256,376 times

Advertisements

Your not going to have an issue here, honestly I wouldn't even worry about it. Maybe it's because I generally don't get into political conversations when I speak to folks here but I don't think you being very conservative is going to be a deal breaker with anyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 10:24 AM

110 posts, read 138,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
When I say conservative, I mean I'm extremely conservative. I was raised in a really conservative suburb of Milwaukee (WI). I just really don't like being in atmospheres where everyone is pro-gay marriage, pro-abortion, etc. It drives me nuts. I'm not one of those people that enjoys being in areas with 'diverse thought' and people with beliefs of all kinds. I'm not speaking racially, I love being in racially diverse areas, just not politically diverse. Maybe that makes me a bad person or close-minded bigot, but I enjoy being surrounded by conservative thought and ideals. It's what I'm used to.

I'm not talking the type of conservative where there is no alcohol, long dresses, etc. I'm speaking in terms of things like abortion, the church, gay marriage, gun control, not pushing for government handouts, etc.

I am going to Columbia regardless, but don't want to be a neighborhood where I feel like a minority for believing in traditional marriage or less government assistance.

One of things I appreciate most about the south is it's conservative reputation.
You will be fine. You will be visiting after November elections and will probably not see anything regarding the things you mentioned above the whole time you are here. You will be much more likely to hear someone speaking of our president in a terrible manor (please do not turn that into a political discussion, just stating a fact of what I hear, not agreeing or disagreeing with the POTUS). Most places you will go just don't have any type of that conversation or dialog.

Old 07-23-2014, 06:11 PM

4,892 posts, read 7,380,838 times
College is a time to expand your horizons. I'm not saying you have to become a wild-eyed whatever and lose your convictions but learning to be around lots of different people and their views is part of growing up. Whatever your future occupation, you will be around diverse opinions and you must learn to get along with others.

Best of luck.

Old 07-24-2014, 11:13 PM

37 posts, read 40,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midwest Gent View Post
When I say conservative, I mean I'm extremely conservative. I was raised in a really conservative suburb of Milwaukee (WI). I just really don't like being in atmospheres where everyone is pro-gay marriage, pro-abortion, etc. It drives me nuts. I'm not one of those people that enjoys being in areas with 'diverse thought' and people with beliefs of all kinds. I'm not speaking racially, I love being in racially diverse areas, just not politically diverse. Maybe that makes me a bad person or close-minded bigot, but I enjoy being surrounded by conservative thought and ideals. It's what I'm used to.

I'm not talking the type of conservative where there is no alcohol, long dresses, etc. I'm speaking in terms of things like abortion, the church, gay marriage, gun control, not pushing for government handouts, etc.

I am going to Columbia regardless, but don't want to be a neighborhood where I feel like a minority for believing in traditional marriage or less government assistance.

One of things I appreciate most about the south is it's conservative reputation.
Look, this is certainly not San Francisco, not by a longshot, but the city of Columbia itself does offer political diversity and in the core of the city, near the university, downtown, etc., you should fully expect a significant number of people to be pro-choice, pro-equality, and generally more socially liberal. Even some of the conservatives will lean toward libertarian and make a case for same-sex marriage (or just get the government out of the business of marriage). The more you move into the suburbs, the more uniformly conservative and Christian it gets.

Gun control is pretty much a non-starter around here, though. Even most of the democratic candidates for state office are pro-gun hunters.

Basically, if you are only comfortable around people who share your socially conservative (and I am guessing religious) beliefs, you will be better off in a more suburban or rural part of the area. Just open a map, locate the university, draw a circle about 4-5 miles out in all directions. That is the zone in which you should expect to actually have to interact with a good number of people who don't think the same way that you do. If you are outside that area, odds are much higher that the vast majority of folks will be socially conservative and probably Christian in the politically conservative sense.

You know, though, that it's generally not the norm here for these kinds of topics to be brought up in conversations with strangers or casual acquaintances. We socially liberal types, even when we have home turf advantage and are travelling in packs, don't exactly go around town looking for a fight...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area