Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2014, 12:54 PM

8,237 posts, read 13,357,122 times

Advertisements

This new housing development should go here... the Burnside Farm Master Planned community off of Garners Ferry Road.. It would match the suburban nature of the development and there is walkable service retail nearby.. This area really isnt that much further from Williams Brice if you use Shop Road which can be accessed from Pineview Road straight into the stadium area. The retail planned for the outparcels would be accessible to residents not to mention other amenties like the grocery store, restaurants, pharmacy etc.. The style of this development lends itself to this type of site as opposed to where it is currently being proposed in addition to the fact that it will likely appeal to a wide range of residents.

Garners Ferry Road and Pineview Road, Columbia, SC, 29209 - Retail (land) Property for Sale on LoopNet.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2014, 01:20 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,845,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonatco View Post
So much has been done to clean up that area around the stadium but it seems like such a tall task with all the industrial business down there. I personally wouldn't want to live down there even if I was college age again because of the lack of grocery/restaraunt options. Area has gotten amazing for game days but still seems to be a stretch to call it a desirable location for full time residence. Someone mentioned trenching out the river to the stadium and that made me think it would be neat to see a new road built from the backside of the old farmers market to 277. Land looks clear... Is this feasible?? Most of that land is USC's now and that would create a true USC/Williams-Brice exit that could be further developed to attract travelers/restaraunts/housing to that area rather than forcing the issue on Shop and Bluff. This would make those new apartments being built a lot more desirable over long term as well
That is no where near feasible. If u look at a map that is all the way across downtown and the residence would not go for this project as they turned down connecting 277 with 126.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
This new housing development should go here... the Burnside Farm Master Planned community off of Garners Ferry Road.. It would match the suburban nature of the development and there is walkable service retail nearby.. This area really isnt that much further from Williams Brice if you use Shop Road which can be accessed from Pineview Road straight into the stadium area. The retail planned for the outparcels would be accessible to residents not to mention other amenties like the grocery store, restaurants, pharmacy etc.. The style of this development lends itself to this type of site as opposed to where it is currently being proposed in addition to the fact that it will likely appeal to a wide range of residents.

Garners Ferry Road and Pineview Road, Columbia, SC, 29209 - Retail (land) Property for Sale on LoopNet.com
That is sooooooo far away from where this project would take place. Thats all the way up shop road across 77 up that other road. It takes 8-9 minutes to get there from the stadium. This project is only 1 minute away.

Old 12-30-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
That is sooooooo far away from where this project would take place. Thats all the way up shop road across 77 up that other road. It takes 8-9 minutes to get there from the stadium. This project is only 1 minute away.

Well I guess I was looking at it from the perspective of how often does one need to go to WB Stadium? I would think that most folks are moving down there because of the "general" proximity to USC Campus and affordability as opposed to the Stadium itself though that could certainly be percieved as a benefit. Being 10 minutes away shouldnt really make or break ones decision to move into an apartment complex even iif they are moving solely based on the proximity to the stadium. The location I was referencing is good to be close to the stadium.. but also if you want a place to live the other nine months out of the year with amenities close by... I guess I dont get why these developers are building down there if it just for the stadium since clearly once these folks graduate they are going to relocate.....

Old 12-30-2014, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Well I guess I was looking at it from the perspective of how often does one need to go to WB Stadium? I would think that most folks are moving down there because of the "general" proximity to USC Campus and affordability as opposed to the Stadium itself though that could certainly be percieved as a benefit. Being 10 minutes away shouldnt really make or break ones decision to move into an apartment complex even iif they are moving solely based on the proximity to the stadium. The location I was referencing is good to be close to the stadium.. but also if you want a place to live the other nine months out of the year with amenities close by... I guess I dont get why these developers are building down there if it just for the stadium since clearly once these folks graduate they are going to relocate.....
Well I'm looking at it from the perspective of how close would someone need to be to campus. If u don't have a car then there is still some walk ability or bike ability. If u take the bus then it's also short. If you have a car then it's considerably shorter. If it were the property you were talking about then someone would propose an apartment complex and not a student housing complex. This developer specializes in student housing and this is where they want to build there investment. In a underused area close to campus this a great project outside of the suburban style which I'm also not a fan of but won't turn down something better then what's there now.

Old 12-30-2014, 06:14 PM

117 posts, read 183,880 times
Just google mapped it... Looks like it would be similar to length it takes from bluff rd. I did say 277 when I meant 77 though. Just saying to have an exit before bluff that catches backside of national guard rd. Looks like it would be a couple miles but maybe not. Def not going through town

Old 12-30-2014, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonatco View Post
Just google mapped it... Looks like it would be similar to length it takes from bluff rd. I did say 277 when I meant 77 though. Just saying to have an exit before bluff that catches backside of national guard rd. Looks like it would be a couple miles but maybe not. Def not going through town
Well if you meant that then that is feasible aside from the wetlands and private land you would have to go through and aquire which takes time and a lot of money.

Old 12-30-2014, 10:27 PM

117 posts, read 183,880 times
That's why I asked... Thanks. Wasn't sure if it was flood area but it does have heathwood hall and a couple other roads out there that look like it would be possible. Shop and bluff are enormous obstacles for reviving the area so new road would possibly be easier than turning all that around

Old 12-31-2014, 02:32 AM

22 posts, read 37,634 times
They should upgrade shop to being four lanes the entire way to george rogers blvd and that would substantially help with traffic through the area. shop is already very busy.

A couple more traffic lights along both shop and bluff would help with the area traffic flow.

I've also heard rumors of development coming to the area across the street from the shell/pittstop/BK including a grocery store and a subdivision style complex. If this were to happen, we could see a nice resurgence in the area of "Arthurtown" as an actual community rather than student housing/government planned projects.

Old 12-31-2014, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero0nc View Post
They should upgrade shop to being four lanes the entire way to george rogers blvd and that would substantially help with traffic through the area. shop is already very busy.

A couple more traffic lights along both shop and bluff would help with the area traffic flow.

I've also heard rumors of development coming to the area across the street from the shell/pittstop/BK including a grocery store and a subdivision style complex. If this were to happen, we could see a nice resurgence in the area of "Arthurtown" as an actual community rather than student housing/government planned projects.

The widening of Shop Road has been opposed by the residents of Washington Park(?). The area is primarily African American and low income. The successful argument that has been made.. thus far.. has been why encourage folks who are clearly visiting the area on a recreational level..to destroy our neighborhood with traffic/cars/trucks and pollution. Granted the traffic and cars are already there but widening the road would likely encourage more folks to use it. I think it will happen eventually, but I think most politicos are treading softly around the issue especially since you have some residents that actually face Shop Road and whose houses come awfully close to the street.

Road building and widening in low income particularly African American Communities is a sore spot back from the old urban renewal and inner city highway days where roads/highways were planned to go through african american neighborhoods because they had little clout to mount opposition. A whole slew of federal rules/laws are in place concerning enviromental justice that could challenge such projects. Columbia didnt have many.. but 277 from NE Columbia is a good local example..It bisected a once connected African American neighborhood and it took decades of pleading and several deaths of people running across that road before the Clyburn pedestrian overpass was builtin the 1990s. By that time though, the community had already deteriorated to a point where I think that the overpass is not widely used...but it looks nice....There were plans at one time in the 90s to build a residential neighborhood and a shopping Center on Farrow Road near Busby St. and the pedestrian bridge was to connect The Colony and Bethal Bishop Apt to that Center. I think it was scrapped after the grant money dried up in the Clinton years and lack of success in finding a anchor grocery store... though several rental housing developments were built on either side of 277 and a homeownership community (Burton Heights) on the Farrow Road side.

Last edited by Woodlands; 12-31-2014 at 11:48 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area