Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2014, 07:41 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,561,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissingSC View Post
Lake Carolina is a great neighborhood especially if you have a young child. The elementary school (which now has a brand new upper elem. campus for 3rd-5th grades) is one of the very best in the state. There are walking trails so that all children can walk or bike to school if they choose. There are two nice swimming pools, playgrounds, large park spaces, a dog park, tennis courts, the neighborhood Y, story time at the lake house for the little ones, etc. Lake Carolina is also extremely safe with a sheriff's office right on the village green in the middle of the neighborhood. There should be several nice homes available to rent when you move down -- rental rates and home prices vary a lot because each different neighborhood within LC has different size/quality homes. I think the zillow app is the easiest to use to see the rental houses available. There are also upscale apartments opening this fall that start at $1300 for a two bedroom. I lived in LC for 8 years and would move back in a heartbeat. It's actually very diverse and welcoming also -- much more than the in-town neighborhoods, but they're okay (just not as safe and lots of drunk college kids). Good luck with everything!
Hmmm, I live in-town and I never see drunk college kids on my street. Besides, the suburbs are passé'.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2014, 09:44 PM

23 posts, read 35,185 times
Lake Carolina is not just any suburban neighborhood. It has the most extensive and beautiful landscaping you'll come across in the midlands, it's pedestrian friendly, and it's anchored by Harborside and the town center which were planned by Andres Duany. Kids have an amazing time there with all of the amenities. What kid-friendly amenities are available in your in-town neighborhood? Do you have safe playgrounds, parks, and pools that kids can walk or bike too? Do you have after school programs at your local elementary school? (Many Richland One schools don't). Do you have a Y that's within walking/biking distance? Kids at the LC schools can attend afterschool programs at the schools or at the Y -- this is a very important amenity for working parents. Does your elementary school have a 1:1 program? Richland Two has fully implemented 1TWO1 in the district, and each student in 3rd-5th at LCE is provided a Chromebook. Last I heard, Richland One is just starting a 1:1 initiative for 9th and 10th grades. I love the in-town neighborhoods of Columbia, but Lake Carolina is a much better environment for kids.

Old 08-17-2014, 09:12 AM

12,891 posts, read 18,748,565 times
If I had children the Shandon-Rosewood area would be the best environment for them.

Old 08-18-2014, 10:05 AM

10 posts, read 10,244 times
Yes - you can get any kind of food you can imagine in New York. And I'm, not talking chains or fast food. Because it is such a melting pot of diverse cultures and races, you can find delicious authentic food of nearly every nationality close by, from anywhere in NY City. Gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, BBQ, Korean, Indian, Asian, American, Seafood, Organic - you name it. It's the variety and quality of the food that you won't find anywhere else in the US.

Old 08-19-2014, 07:54 AM

55 posts, read 68,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaMoe View Post
Yes - you can get any kind of food you can imagine in New York. And I'm, not talking chains or fast food. Because it is such a melting pot of diverse cultures and races, you can find delicious authentic food of nearly every nationality close by, from anywhere in NY City. Gluten free, vegan, vegetarian, BBQ, Korean, Indian, Asian, American, Seafood, Organic - you name it. It's the variety and quality of the food that you won't find anywhere else in the US.

Totally agree!

Old 08-19-2014, 07:23 PM

199 posts, read 257,778 times
Thanks for the insight y'all on the food of NY, I appreciate it.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post
The NY bragging even happens on SC forums. You can find most if not everything in that list in the bigger cities in SC.

I worked up in NYC area for awhile and never found the food to be anything more than the standard fare you can get anywhere else. Never noticed the extra quality. There are def. bad restaurants up there.
I disagree; you can find any kind of cuisine you want, 24 hours a day in New York. Are there bad restaurants, too? Of course.

Old 08-19-2014, 08:48 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,030,690 times
I don't think anyone meant that everything is open 24/7 in New York, but it certainly has more of a 24 hour culture than perhaps anywhere else in the country.

Being the point of entry for so many immigrants, the depth and breadth of the ethnic cuisine is second to none in New York. Bad restaurants? Sure, but if you search for it, you can find great food representing almost any part of the world. Columbia has a strong ethnic food scene for a city of its size in the Southeast, but a New Yorker who enjoys that sort of thing will certainly be taking a step down in that regard.

Old 08-19-2014, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentle Giant View Post
lol what cuisine can't you find in South Carolina these days? Pakistani? Oh no.

You only going to live in a small part of NYC if you live there. Yes, it has a lot more restaurants but you dont' live in the entire city.

The previous guy basically said that there is nothing but quality food up there. lol They always exaggerate their food quality, my view.

I will say they do have more local delis than we have down here.

I doubt you going to get any food you want 24 hours a day in NYC, that would be highly dependent on where you live in NYC. They do sleep up there too. lol
The biggest difference in South Carolina is that you get Americanized versions of most types of food. Columbia does have a good range of ethnic food, as does Charleston, but still, nothing like NYC.

Old 08-20-2014, 06:05 AM

12,891 posts, read 18,748,565 times
The question is how does NYC do new southern cuisine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area