Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2014, 10:14 PM

123 posts, read 155,890 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Facts are facts, but it is common for Republicans to ignore facts.
Like your fact that only Upstate is conservative and your fact that rural areas tend to be more conservative even though Obama won most of the rural counties in the state?

I agree the city of Columbia is majority Democratic. Just not the metro which includes Lexington, Irmo and N.E Columbia/Blythewood.

All nice suburbs in SC go Republican, regardless of the metro.

All Republicans care about is facts, that is why we would ban flights from countries with lot of people dying from Ebola. That is why we don't fearmonger people over increasing temperatures because factually temperatures are not increasing and have been cooling for twenty years. List goes on and on.

Do Columbians view Haley as the mayor of Columbia? Surprised this was posted in Columbia forum rather than the state.

Last edited by Back In Orange; 10-17-2014 at 10:27 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2014, 10:27 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In Orange View Post
Like your fact that only Upstate is conservative and your fact that rural areas tend to be more conservative even though Obama won most of the rural counties in the state?

I agree the city of Columbia is majority Democratic. Just not the metro which includes Lexington, Irmo and N.E Columbia/Blythewood.

All nice suburbs in SC go Republican, regardless of the metro.
Go back and reread my edit with facts attached.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Go back and reread my edit with facts attached.
Your facts jive with what I'm saying. Lexington county is 2nd biggest county in Columbia metro and Republlicans got twice as many votes as Obama. Those other counties aren't really part of the metro and probably don't even add up to 20000 votes. Most of the middle class and rich in Columbia vote Republican. Nothing you've said refutes that. All capital cities tend to be a little more liberal than rest of state simply because of all the government people and lobbyists and lawyers that come with it. Nobody denies that.

But again, and this may seem like distinction withiout a difference, but a lot of poor black voters are not really political liberals. They just voting for the party offering biggest entitlements. That isn't a criticism, I would too in their shoes. That doesn't make it good policy though. Obivously GOP has contraints on how much cash we can offer if we are saying we are the anti-tax and anti-spend party. We can't be the Santa Claus party and the fiscal responsiblity party at the same time, at least not with majority of media painting a picture, a web of lies, if you will.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:37 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In Orange View Post
Your facts jive with what I'm saying. Lexington county is 2nd biggest county in Columbia metro and Republlicans got twice as many votes as Obama. Those other counties aren't really part of the metro and probably don't even add up to 20000 votes. Most of the middle class and rich in Columbia vote Republican. Nothing you've said refutes that. All capital cities tend to be a little more liberal than rest of state simply because of all the government people and lobbyists and lawyers that come with it. Nobody denies that.
You have no proof to back up your statement. Democrats got twice as many votes in Richland County, so your point means nothing.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:41 PM

Quote:
You have no proof to back up your statement. Democrats got twice as many votes in Richland County, so your point means nothing.
You wrote off Lexington county as nothing, then act like Saluda and Fairfield counties are big part of the metro. I didn't add up numbers but Lexington is at least 1/3rd population of COlumiba metro and about 75 percent of the middle class and wealthy. I don't think Saluda and Orangeburg got much to do with Columbia myself.

I was surprised Democrats in Columbia would even claim Saluda, seems like part of state they would label the Upstate. lol Saluda county is how liberals depict Greenville.

How did the upstate get Greenwood and Columbia get Saluda? lol Greenwood and Saluda seems like same region in my mind. I would have included those two in the CSRA with augusta and aiken.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:04 PM

Subtle racism? Noticed a lot of white Democrats obsessed with Haley's Indian heritage.

But no, dog whistles to racists isn't going to help the Better Call Saul beat her in the election. It isn't 1860 anymore.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlevinKelevra View Post
nope, not at all. if there's any subtle racism, it's in her disavowing her given name for fear she will be unelectable (kind of like Bobby Jindal).

honestly, I'd like to see more asian americans in our government; they certainly don't represent the population on a proportional basis.
(but that's because I'm a dirty anti-american librul!!!! yeeehaw!)
Ok well well Jon Stewart doesn't go by his Jewish name and that is most librul's thought master. You are trying to ape him hard right now, even the premise that somehow conservatives misspell the word liberal. Given all the affluent counties in SC vote Republican big, somewhat odd that a Democrat voter wants to make us out as the dumb ones who can't spell.

Democrats like you have have helpfully reminded voters she is both female and Indian, and she still won.

I never said liberals were dirty or anti-American. Just wrong about everything. Can't even see the logic in banning flights from countires with people dying from Ebola. Other countries figured that out real quick. Even Canada, I think.

I don't think your IQ is higher than most people's, based on what you've said so far and how you've expressed yourself. So you might want to lay off the ridicule approach. Clowning Republicans is easy when they aren't around to respond back but Jon Stewart can't roll with a conservative in a debate.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:27 PM

Quote:
so your argument is you don't even understand what a given name is?

interesting. have fun with that.
Nah my argument is you are a racist who is trying to race bait. THere is no other logical resason why you would be talking about her name. Lot of foreigners go by American names just b/c Americans have trouble pronouncing their real name. I think your take is cynical and people have right to go by any name they want. You want to dictate to Mrs. Haley on what she calls herself.

My other opinion is you typing "librul" is lame attempt at humor and it isn't even original. Every librul on internet does that. If you are so bright, where's the originality?

Old 10-17-2014, 11:33 PM

Quote:
holy crap... and you had the nerve to call ME a "racist" ?

wow.
What was racist about that? I have no idea how to pronounce that name. You are so phony. You even trying to ape Stewart's faux indignation about stuff.

You are obviously race baiting,. your whole post was essentially, look, she's an Indian. You have not said one thing about the issues.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:37 PM

Quote:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/36921506-post33.html

for someone quick to throw out the whole "oooh look a racist herrr derr" you sure do make a lot of uninformed, presumptive judgments about people without knowing much about them.

interesting. might be projection. who knows
You are the guy who accused me of accusing you of being "dirty" and "unAmerican". I never said or implied either one of those about your or liberals in general. You are obviously a hack, intellectually dishonest. You keep implying you are the smartest guy in the world and anybody who disagrees with your Obama big government politics is a caveman. Despite most lower income and less educational attainment people voting for Democrats.

You are the one projecting, putting words in people's mouths. ALl I did is observe you made a big deal out of Haley being Indian. Dont' see any reason to do that other than to race bait. You've offered no belivable explanation so far. SOme mealymouthed response about how she is running away from who she is but I pointed out Jon Stewart, beloved by most liberals, doesn't go by his Jewish name. I personally don't care if he chooses to go by Stewart.

Haley may believe she couldn't have won in SC if she went by her real name and that is due to there being guys like you and other Democrats in SC who have talked about her going back to wherever she is from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area