Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 4,735 times

Advertisements

Okay. I'm going to settle this debate. I want your experiences and honest opinions. I was living in Memphis and I'm currently living in Columbia. I'm tired of people complaining about gangs and crime when they live in a suburb area were they have fiestas with their neighbors. I acknowledge that there are gangs in crime in this city, I acknowledge the the occasional gunshots, the "delinquents" who bully older people, and I'm phased by the two early AM drive bys, but theres no way in hell Columbia is worse then Memphis. "The Colonies". The whole city is synonymous with a project with free wifi? Is the Colonies always on the First 48? Is Richland county always on the first 48 like Shelby county? Do you die on your couch after getting stabbed after school in Columbia? Did that active gang start at the middle school you went to?The worst schools in Columbia are better then the bad schools in Memphis. Its way harder for a young black male to end up dead in Columbia. At every other party in Memphis, there's a young black male laying on the floor with his brains blown out. The gangs in Memphis are worse. I think Memphis is worse. The media could be giving you guys the leeway though. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2014, 12:59 PM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Crime is everywhere, but based on what I've read there's no comparison. Columbia is never on the nation's 100 highest-crime cities or metros lists. I would think Memphis is at least on those lists if not high on them.

Old 09-15-2014, 07:57 AM

377 posts, read 709,864 times
Memphis has some serious issues with crime, that's for sure. That's a city that's, for lack of a better term, in decline. Poverty and unemployment are higher, which translates directly to more and worse crime. Who accused Columbia of being worse than Memphis in this regard?

Old 10-03-2014, 06:06 PM

2 posts, read 4,735 times
People in my current neighborhood in Columbia. I'm sitting here telling them what it is but every discussion seems to start with "this aint Memphis, blah blah blah"

Old 01-01-2015, 07:14 PM

45 posts, read 47,924 times
Default Wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqualadd View Post
Okay. I'm going to settle this debate. I want your experiences and honest opinions. I was living in Memphis and I'm currently living in Columbia. I'm tired of people complaining about gangs and crime when they live in a suburb area were they have fiestas with their neighbors. I acknowledge that there are gangs in crime in this city, I acknowledge the the occasional gunshots, the "delinquents" who bully older people, and I'm phased by the two early AM drive bys, but theres no way in hell Columbia is worse then Memphis. "The Colonies". The whole city is synonymous with a project with free wifi? Is the Colonies always on the First 48? Is Richland county always on the first 48 like Shelby county? Do you die on your couch after getting stabbed after school in Columbia? Did that active gang start at the middle school you went to?The worst schools in Columbia are better then the bad schools in Memphis. Its way harder for a young black male to end up dead in Columbia. At every other party in Memphis, there's a young black male laying on the floor with his brains blown out. The gangs in Memphis are worse. I think Memphis is worse. The media could be giving you guys the leeway though. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Having lived in both cities Memphis for several years during college and after and Columbia for a year. I do believe that Memphis is worst, Columbia is great the schools are awesome and the areas are great compared to Memphis along with the pricing, but both are great places to live IMO

Old 01-05-2015, 03:22 PM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Memphis is way bigger than Columbia as well no?

Old 01-05-2015, 03:51 PM

678 posts, read 800,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Memphis is way bigger than Columbia as well no?
Memphis MSA is about 68% bigger than Columbia's.. We are around 800K and they are around 1.34 million.

Old 07-25-2015, 12:24 AM

9,681 posts, read 9,398,464 times
Shooting reported at SE Memphis fitness center - The Commercial Appeal

Old 07-25-2015, 09:37 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
What's that supposed to prove?

Old 07-27-2015, 08:38 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
Memphis MSA is about 68% bigger than Columbia's.. We are around 800K and they are around 1.34 million.

Yeah.. there is no way Columbia is on par with Memphis when it comes to crime.. Yes Columbia has some tough areas..around Beltline, Two Notch, or even parts of my beloved Eau Claire.. But Memphis is WAY worse. I didnt know Columbia was always on the First 48.. thats a new one for me.. I did see it on Gangland about the G-Shine Crew that operated out of Saxon Homes. Even that hugely distorted the City by showing places like the Vista as "hot beds" for gang activity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
View detailed profiles of: