Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2007, 03:00 PM

9 posts, read 58,928 times

Advertisements

Hello all!
My husband just accepted a job at USC and we will be moving to Columbia from Atlanta in Jan 09. We were looking at Vsion condos in the downtown area in hopes of still living the "city" lifestyle. Any thoughts about condos in the area? These condos are in the pre-construction phase which makes us both a little nervous. Is this a good idea or should we buy a house instead?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 11:45 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
I would love to live in Vsion Condos, but there are a number of condo developments going up in downtown Columbia. Before making a decision I would also look at Canalside (on the river), Adesso (immediately next to campus) and the other developments Capital Places (developers of Vsion) has on Main Street. Also ask Capital Places about their new development in the old Columbia main fire station in the Vista and check on the new Five Points South development in Five Points. There are also some new condominiums going up on Pulaski Street in the Vista. I live on the edge of downtown and I've contemplated selling my house and moving into a condo. If I did, any of the above developments would interest me. Do you have a price range in mind and do you have any children?

Old 12-30-2007, 09:18 PM

20 posts, read 24,003 times
I'd buy something a little closer to the Vista. The downtown area, where Capital Places' properties are located, is as dead as a door nail.

Old 12-31-2007, 04:40 PM

Seeing as how Main Street is only 2 blocks and Vsion only a 3 block walk to the Vista, I wouldn't take them out of consideration. If he will be working at USC, then Vsion is a short walk to both USC and the Vista so it might work for them. Canalside is in the Vista, but is just as long a walk to the heart of the Vista as the other locations.

Old 12-31-2007, 10:45 PM

20 posts, read 24,003 times
Allow me correct myself. I'd look for something in the heart of the Vista. Main Street may be great in 10 or 20 years but right now it is pretty sketchy.

Old 01-02-2008, 07:41 PM

4 posts, read 12,610 times
dewfur30 - I shopped all around and chose Vsion when looking for downtown Condo. I live in the Barringer Apartment Building - which Capitol Places developed until Vsion is completed. Although Main Street is not where it needs to be yet (but feel it is more like 3 years away than 10 to 20), this location is closer than most residential properties to the Vista and is really a short walk. I chose Vsion because of the amentities. Addesso has some nice amenties at a much higher price. Canalside is kind of out of the way for me - can't walk to anything and it wood built which I am not a big fan of. JMO

Old 01-02-2008, 11:17 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Vsion's location is on Lady Street, along the border of the downtown historic district which contains many of the city's oldest homes and churches. So of course it isn't located in a "24-hour" nightlife district because that's not what that part of downtown is supposed to be. I tend to think of it as the "Old South" part of downtown. When the Garden District (broken link) and the Bull Street development (http://www.dpz.com/project.aspx?Project_Number=507&Project_Name=Bull+ Street - broken link) get underway, you'll see a bit more activity on that side of downtown, but honestly, I like that area the way it is. It gives more of a laid back, "slow down and enjoy your surroundings" kind of vibe.

Old 01-03-2008, 06:38 AM

9 posts, read 58,928 times
Default Thanks for the info

I appreciate all of the responses to my inquiry. We have definitely looked into some of the other condos, but were not as excited as with Vsion. The amenities package, as well as the urban design really appeals to us.

Unfortunately, the more I thought about buying a condo, the less sense it makes from an investment standpoint. With all of the other condo complexes going up, it seems like it might be really difficult to resell in the future. We are young (mid 20s) and are thinking of having children in 5 years, but wanted to still live the city lifestyle now.

We're also looking for homes in the Shandon area. Devine Street looks like a cute place with alot to do. I'm really excited about the Earthfare, yoga studios, etc. Any advice? Price range is in the 200-250.

Thanks!

Old 01-03-2008, 04:29 PM

You can't go wrong with Shandon; homes consistently appreciate there and there are many places within walking distance. If you can't find a home in Shandon in your price range, try Melrose Heights, which is the next neighborhood north of Shandon (Woodrow, Maple, Fairview, Carlisle north of Millwood Ave).

Old 01-03-2008, 08:48 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dewfur30 View Post
I appreciate all of the responses to my inquiry. We have definitely looked into some of the other condos, but were not as excited as with Vsion. The amenities package, as well as the urban design really appeals to us.

Unfortunately, the more I thought about buying a condo, the less sense it makes from an investment standpoint. With all of the other condo complexes going up, it seems like it might be really difficult to resell in the future. We are young (mid 20s) and are thinking of having children in 5 years, but wanted to still live the city lifestyle now.

We're also looking for homes in the Shandon area. Devine Street looks like a cute place with alot to do. I'm really excited about the Earthfare, yoga studios, etc. Any advice? Price range is in the 200-250.

Thanks!
Shandon is probably a safer investment standpoint than a condo. I can't tell you that that one condo is better than another condo but I'm comfortable telling historically the single family residence, aka stick built home, has appreciated better than condos. I would suggest taking a look at Canalside too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area