U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2014, 12:39 PM

1 posts, read 1,543 times

Advertisements

Hello.

We just moved form Charlotte, NC to Columbia, SC.. and been looking to buy a house in Northeast Columbia or Blythewood.. close to I-77, so that it is easy for commute for my wife's office to downtown and for myself to get on I-20 east and head towards Florence.

We heard a lot of bad reviews wrt to the traffic in the Summit and Lake Carolina..So not even considering looking at houses on that side of I-77.

We liked couple of communities, like the Weston Woods (Mungo Homes) and the Cobblestone Park (DR Horton Homes) which were within our price range of $300,000.
We would like all your suggestions on the DR Horton Homes and about the community at Cobblestone Park...
please anybody who could advice on this..And also the quality of DR Horton Homes there?
Is Cobblestone really a good place to live with all those ammenities? (Although I am not a golf player.. but a Tennis player)
How about the surroundings? and Blythewood area?

And also about on the Bethel Hanberry Elementary School? or any other good programs or elementary schools?

And as well, please leave your advice/suggestions on Wren Creek and Weston Woods, which are going to share their ammenities once Weston Woods is complete.

We would really appreciate your advice/suggestions.
Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2014, 07:08 AM

30 posts, read 35,253 times
I wouldn't necessarily discount all the houses on the side of I-77 that Lake Carolina is on for traffic purposes. As someone posted, there is a plan to widen Hardscrabble, which could help alleviate some of the traffic issues.

I don't know much about Bethel Hanberry, but Lake Carolina Elementary is a good elementary school. I've also heard good things about Round Top, Catawba Trail, and Bookman. If your price range is $300k, I'd also consider looking at Greenhill Parish as there are some homes in that price range and it's about a mile from I-20.

Old 11-28-2014, 12:01 PM

171 posts, read 153,699 times
I would try your commutes on a typical morning from the Summit or Lake Carolina to test it out before you eliminate those areas completely on hearsay. The traffic here is nothing compared to Charlotte's traffic. We eliminated Cobblestone Park because it will be under construction for at least the next 10 years and we didn't necessarily need a golf course in the neighborhood. I think Cobblestone Park is finally headed in the right direction now after the previous developer's problems a few years ago. Good luck to you!

Old 11-29-2014, 01:22 PM

7,736 posts, read 6,438,075 times
Sun

My concern with Cobblestone is that the golf club has had past financial issues and if such arose again, could it damage my property value. I am not suggesting anything but I am saying it is one thing that should be considered.

With any new development there is always the question of what will come later? Issues like a rental apartment development next to my standalone home. Tract homes across the street from our more expensive homes. Association dues that double once the developer is gone. A grocery store being developed behind my house, etc. I prefer to buy later or toward the end of development thus less surprises.

Old Today, 09:13 AM

10 posts, read 16,770 times
Cobblestone golf course is doing great. The other courses in the area that once were good have fallen on hard times being Crickentree and Windermere. DR Horton has built in Cobblestone stone park and there are angry neighbors. Home warranty claims not addressed. Security gates broken constantly by contractors. The HOA representatives do not react to problems also high turn over. HOA is still under Horton. Community is suing DR Horton because they want build homes in land promised as green spaces. Another note even though Cobblestone is in Blythewood they do not go to B.H.S. which has good rating they go to Westwood which at the bottom

Old Today, 08:36 PM

217 posts, read 289,429 times
We considered cobblestone but as someone said they will be building in there for quite some time.

Moved to Windermere which the golf course has slowly creeped back up into relevance. After reading what they’re doing with crickentree it kinda freaks me out. Lake carolina is not a bad drive and there are really good deals but it’s another development that will take ages which easily can hurt your property (newer cheaper housing).

Green Hill parish is very nice but was a tad too expensive.

Wood creek farms is also nice but is very expensive but you can get some housing for 300k.

Try wildewood too. All these are easy commutes.

How was Charlotte? Just better jobs here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area