Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2015, 06:02 AM

362 posts, read 991,731 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
Aspyre has gone up. It is now $635 for the cheapest unfurnished apartment and that does not include electricity.
Wow that is a big jump in only 2 years! I guess you have also looked at The Retreat and Olympia and Granby Mills? Those were also places my daughter had friends living at.

I'm jealous I wish my son were transferring to USC next year. We just moved here and I would love to have him closer. Good luck with the search.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2015, 09:15 AM

2,163 posts, read 3,098,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StJohnD View Post
Just from experience and being in both places, I think Uoaks is a more livable area, more fun place to be.
Better Room layout in my opinion, and closer to the stadium.

However, one you should also consider is Riverside Columbia. for a 4 bedroom, 2 bath it's $495,
and a 2b2b is $595, fully furnished, with water. Probably the most cost-efficient student housing out there.
I've looked into Riverside and my son actually has a friend that lives there now. He (and his parents) want out and are looking with us. They have not had a good experience there. Said the place was disgusting upon move in. Had to go to walmart to buy cleaning supplies and cleaned it from top to bottom before they even moved in. Also said there is a really bad bug problem as well as security issues. The security issues were non-students riding the shuttle and non-residents taking over the basketball courts at night and on weekends. Both of these concerns were brought to the attention of the management and nothing is done about it.

Old 01-06-2015, 07:32 PM

47 posts, read 70,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
I've looked into Riverside and my son actually has a friend that lives there now. He (and his parents) want out and are looking with us. They have not had a good experience there. Said the place was disgusting upon move in. Had to go to walmart to buy cleaning supplies and cleaned it from top to bottom before they even moved in. Also said there is a really bad bug problem as well as security issues. The security issues were non-students riding the shuttle and non-residents taking over the basketball courts at night and on weekends. Both of these concerns were brought to the attention of the management and nothing is done about it.

Yeah, I've heard good and bad things about that place. I mentioned Riverside because i'm pretty sure that's going to be the only one that's in the "Budget of $500 to $575 month" range, unless you sublease from somebody - which is an option.

Old 01-07-2015, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StJohnD View Post
Yeah, I've heard good and bad things about that place. I mentioned Riverside because i'm pretty sure that's going to be the only one that's in the "Budget of $500 to $575 month" range, unless you sublease from somebody - which is an option.
All the ones by the stadium are $575 or below.

Old 01-25-2015, 08:00 PM

Well, we've done more research and toured 3 places. And we've made our decision. We are going back Friday to sign a contract at The Oaks.

We toured Riverside, The Oaks and University Suites. Riverside was everything I expected. Even the "model" unit was pretty sad looking. There was barely a kitchen. There was no security gate so anyone can enter the complex.

University Suites was nice but walking around the place I noticed a lot of maintenance issues going unattended. Broken doors, windows, gates, light fixtures. These were just things I noticed walking the grounds. Also, while the landscaping was kept in good shape, there was a lot of paper, trash and cigarette butts around the grounds.

For the same price and a little closer was The Oaks. The difference was the fact that I did not notice a single piece of trash or cigarette buts on the grounds. Also, everything seems well maintained. I didn't notice a single maintenance issues like I saw all over the place at the Suites. Plus, it was the only one of the three we looked at that offers an optional covered parking space which I will gladly pay an extra $25 a month for.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:56 AM

362 posts, read 991,731 times
Glad that worked out for you. All the best to your son at USC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area