Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2015, 03:04 PM

1,065 posts, read 2,250,243 times

Advertisements

I think it is a classic case of NIMBYNMW (not in my back yard no matter what), the kind that gets a group the reputation about being mad about water being wet. I could see the complaint if they were locating near schools or homes but this is a pure industrial site. Probably the best fit available at this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2015, 03:28 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,475,443 times
I live on the north side of downtown and it really doesn't bother me. I'm more bothered by the ugly paint color on a Chinese place taking over the former KFC location on North Main.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:40 AM

8,130 posts, read 13,177,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
I know next to nothing about the demographics of long distance bus riders but I would imagine that the area of North Columbia they are relocating could be more central for their local clientele. As long as it is on the comet line it might be easier to access at the new location.

I don't know what the community is worried about. The location they are moving to is in an industrial area that already has a very busy truck stop and mostly fast food restaurants. I can't see Greyhound bringing down the area.

Many of the activists in North Columbia feel that the area has been a dumping ground for undesirable uses .. that on top of being neglected. If you look at the area.. just on a map.. it should be booming. Monticello Road, Fairfield Road, Farrow Road, 277 all are major roadways with interchanges along an Interstate I-20. However; if you change from "map view" to "satellite view" and zoom in.. There is subpar development around each of those interchanges and along each of those corridors.. not to mention some of the connecting neighborhoods.. When you look at other interchanges like Two Notch, Alpine, Clemson Road, Garners Ferry, etc etc.. totally different development patterns. So, I think much of their contempt for Greyhound or similiar uses is that its just going to add to that negative perception/equation especially where Flyin J's is right there.... which is one of two major Truck Stops in the area.. which have their own negative reputation.. associated with interstate truck stops...... Not saying they are right or wrong... but that is what I have heard coming from the community.

Now why would someone want a Greyhound station in their neighborhood if its that bad? Good question.. I believe that a Greyhound Station in a bad or marginal area.. will only further the negative activities occurring there. A Greyhound Station in a Business District or busy commercial area may not enhance or detract from that area if the area is bustling..People hanging out and what not would just blend in with the regular goings on in the commercial area... That is why I think the station in Five Points got a bad rap. It was in a marginal area so it did nothing but further marginalize that area.. Being in the CBD or commercial core surrounded by better uses with foot traffic reduces the likelihood that things will happen since there are people on the street and presumably police among the people etc. and people hanging out is to be expected in a commercial area.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
I emailed the mayor the concerns about whether he himself reached out to Greyhound. He (or his staff) responded with the following.

"For your post.
The mayor did meet with twice with both Greyhound & Southeastern Stages executives and with city staff and looked at several potential locations in southeast Columbia, Shop Rd, River Drive and West Columbia.

We also had discussions with the COMET about joint use of several of its facilities including the transfer facility at Sumter & Laurel Sts but they just didn't work.

We also discussed the property (privately owned) near the existing Amtrak station ( the existing station was not big enough and with inadequate area for busses to turn) but the price was too high AND development was already moving forward there.

As we look forward, the future of an intercity transit hub will likely be a part of what happens at the public private city complex on Laurel Sts between Sumter & Main Sts ( Parking garage, electric car charging pods, COMET, Greyhound, Taxi, Trolleys etc. rail not likely here-different ideas for that)

Thanks."

Thanks for the update. Ironically the best Greyhound Bus Stations in the State of SC (what a great title to hold) are in Sumter and Spartanburg. Both are nice clean facilities in transit centers in the middle of their downtown areas.. Greenville, Charleston, and now Columbia will have their facilities outside of their downtown areas and are the three largest cities.....I wonder what made Greyhound "work" in Sumter and Spartanburg.. but not in Columbia, Greenville, Charleston?

Granted in Sumter.. Greyhound is in the ONLY service in and out of the City.. while Spartanburg has GSP and Amtrak. I guess I am from the Old School..Airports, Train Stations, and Bus Stations are gateways into your city.. Even if people are not traveling to your city but going through it.. it says something about your community.. How it looks and where it is and how its valued.... If you look at Greyhound Bus Stations and Train Stations of the 20th Century they were symbols and statements of their organizations and their Cities.. Columbia's old Greyhound Bus Station on Blanding and Sumter St downtown was an example of the pride the company had and the City had in the facility.

I know the world will not end with Greyhound moving into a trailer on the northside.. but hopefully it may only be temporary aka 20 years.....

Old 02-23-2015, 01:15 AM

4 posts, read 9,142 times
Default BUS STATION Location Influences

The reasons could be multiple. Generally, there is a money issue for someone selling the land being moved to( or leased from) and/or wanting the better downtown location for a more profitable enterprise.

Also adding to the mix online ticketing. AGENCY stations, (not generally big city ones) in order to be profitable , need to be used as selling agents, but increasing internet use for buying and further printathome ticketing devalues the agent directly fincancially as well as longterm utility. So a choice to discard the agency is worse than moving it to an undesirable location.

Lastly, local politics, wont get into it, but someone is always trying to do something. the BUS USING public, if they care enough, and have enough people, is the only entity which coudl have the power to influence the station location.

Old 02-25-2015, 02:50 PM

Ironically, I saw on the Planning Commission Agenda a request to rezone a property off of Buckner Road from Industrial to Multi Family. I believe someone wants to build an apartment complex on the cul de sac that runs off of Buckner south towards the old Fairfield Arms site. Fairfield Arms was a crime ridden apartment complex that was eventually torn down. It also affected the privately held apartments of Hillendale and another complex along Winmet Drive.. There is an abandon complex also adjacent to these apartments that faces Fairfield Road..All of the existing and former developments had a huge crime problem.. I believe it has gotten better over the years.. I am curious on what the new complex will be..>Senior or Income Restricted is likely because of the location....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area