Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 02:59 PM

48 posts, read 149,274 times

Advertisements

Hello, everyone!

I am new to this forum and seeking information on a move my husband and I are to make this year. He has taken a job in Blythewood, but will be using the Columbia (mainly) and Charlotte airports. Here is what I am wanting to know, and yes, I have been doing a lot of reading on this forum, but some of the responses are from 5 or more years ago and a lot could have changed since then.

We have no children (in our 50's so do not plan for any) so we are not worried about schools, though we know that neighborhoods who care about education tend to care about community as well and are usually safer to live in. I was raised in Los Angeles (not Beverly Hills) and lived through much gang activity and *Mash* type scenarios with police helicopters turning the middle of the night into BRIGHT daylight while chasing suspects. I lost an older sister when I was 10 due to a stranger/pedophile/kidnapper/rapist. Lived through the terror of the Manson murders. I don't ever want to live with that again. Nor do I want to live with the angry, gang mentality. (Gangs come in all colors, so this is NOT a race issue. Bullies are bullies!) So...

We are looking for a safe, yet fun community... or a rural area close to a fun community. Small is fine and within a reasonable driving distance to Blythewood and mainly the Columbia airport (CAE).

We want to garden/small farm. Family orchard and the like. Maybe (maybe) horses. We are going to set up an organic garden, so we don't want to be near commercial, GMO, Franken-farms. Soils are different within varying areas the state. Dams on the lakes make for rocky bottom, hard to work with soils. We are older and don't have years to spend getting set up. What areas have the kindest soils?

So...

... where would you all suggest for a nervous Nell who wants to get her hands dirty?

Thank you for reading. I am really looking forward to this move as we gain at least one zone more of warmth and growing season! Wahoo!
(Plus... I have heard Southern hospitality and friendliness is still beautifully present. Looking forward to that as well. )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 03:23 PM

12,916 posts, read 18,761,054 times
Blythewood, I reckon.

Old 04-13-2015, 04:16 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
I agree; look in Blythewood or even Cedar Creek.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:04 AM

229 posts, read 395,565 times
Blythewood is the perfect area for a quieter lifestyle.

As far as Soil in Blythewood, the area is nicknamed the "sandhills". According to the Clemson Agricultural area off of Clemson Road, the area use to be a prehistoric beach shore. So the soil is pretty terrible and sandy. It won't hold water well or nutrients. Of course over a few years you can get the soil in shape but also depends where you are and soil can vary but in general Blythewood/NE = Sand. I've heard Lexington has Clay.

I don't think there's a perfect soil out there anyhow. Just take a soil test and fix up the soil accordingly.

Old 04-14-2015, 07:41 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
or she could do raised beds and just put down the black plastic weed guard stuff and use broken down pallets and then add the mg garden soil which is what I am planning to do when I buy a home here in Columbia . I know I will enjoy having a full fledged garden . Good luck with whatever you decide to do .

Old 04-14-2015, 07:57 AM

Thank you all for the responses.

Waccamatt - Where is Cedar Creek?

Vinceisvince - I agree... there is usually no perfect area for soil, but I would rather deal with sand than a rocky bottom soil. Been there. Uggh.

Phonelady61 - I too am planning on raised beds as my husband and I want to prepare to live on a property long term. I wonder how fruit/nut trees would do in sandy soil. I will look up the Clemson extension and see what grows in the area.

Thanks again, everyone! It is appreciated.

Old 04-14-2015, 08:12 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,274,047 times
As far as soil goes, Blythewood will have a predominantly clay soil. There is a sandhills region that runs through North Carolina and South Carolina and it just so happens to run through some of the midlands in Lexington, Richland and Kershaw counties. I'm not sure if it's all completely sand, but there are places where the sand can be seen exposed on bare spots without grass. Clay is bothersome, so hopefully with a little sand mixed in you can find a happy medium, no pun intended

Old 04-14-2015, 09:07 AM

/love the pun Smithgn Great information. Thank you.

OK, so basically... Blythewood is a good place to land (pun intended). Amend as needed and enjoy.

Any other areas that fit the bill? Blythewood's town website boasts of lots going on but their "things to do", "festivals", and "calendar" are blank. Am I missing something here? Ridgeway seems to have it together, though it is a very small town. They at least show spark of life and a sense of "our town" togetherness. To an outsider it looks impressive. I am hoping for a sense of community. I just don't know if Blythewood has that. They are certainly growing at an amazing rate. Subdivision heaven.

Blythewood is well situated for enjoying other area happenings. I just don't get a sense of its flavor or personality. Does it have one?

Old 04-14-2015, 04:04 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davryn View Post
Thank you all for the responses.

Waccamatt - Where is Cedar Creek?

Vinceisvince - I agree... there is usually no perfect area for soil, but I would rather deal with sand than a rocky bottom soil. Been there. Uggh.

Phonelady61 - I too am planning on raised beds as my husband and I want to prepare to live on a property long term. I wonder how fruit/nut trees would do in sandy soil. I will look up the Clemson extension and see what grows in the area.

Thanks again, everyone! It is appreciated.
Cedar Creek is in northern Richland County around U.S. Rt. 321. It is rural, hilly and secluded.

Old 04-15-2015, 10:08 PM

Thank you, Waccamatt. I'll take a look in that area.

No one has spoken up about Blythewood, so I gather there really isn't much to do there.

Thanks everyone.
Have a great weekend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area