Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 01:26 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,032,122 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeSanDiego View Post
What about other neighborhoods away from campus? St. Andrews? Arcadia Lakes? NE Columbia? (I'm just throwing out areas I see on Craig's List and Zillow). I've also seen listings near the Midlands Technical College (?)

I'm an older student, and don't want to be in an area saturated with partying students. Been there, done that.

Also, for two full days a week I won't even be on campus. I'll be at a field placement that could be at a government agency, hospital, nonprofit, etc.

I appreciate your help :-)
I would still recommend downtown, although not necessarily a student housing complex or neighborhood. St. Andrews is hit-or-miss and the Northeast is just generic, American suburbia.

I wouldn't worry too much about traffic coming in from The Avenues in Cayce. You may have to sit through a traffic light cycle or two, but it will be a cakewalk compared to California. Elmwood Park and Earlewood would be good areas. I lived there when I was a law student and it is convenient to everything while being cheaper than Shandon.

Vista Commons is a traditional garden-style apartment complex off Gervais that is popular with grad students and young professionals. Excellent location, but is rather expensive by Columbia standards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 02:44 PM

678 posts, read 800,008 times
Also check out Capitol Places portfolio and the Palms on Main. The main downside for you with these places would be you'd have no yard, but most of the Capitol Places apartments do allow pets and there are very few students there and the ones that are there must be quiet because where I live (the Tapps) is very quiet. The main upside is you are in the middle of everything. Every Saturday morning there would be a farmers market literally right outside your front door (with lots of dogs I might add!!).

Old 04-21-2015, 04:15 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Waccamatt: for the two years that I'll be in school, I'm OK with living in a less-than-glamorous place. I won't be working so i have to keep my rent as low as i can without compromising safety or comfort.

I know it's only temporary. A house or something-plex, with a yard for my tiny dog, would be preferable. Are there coyotes in Columbia?

The College of Social Work is in DeSausssure College (a building with an interesting history). Not sure if this map pops up, but if the top of the Gamecock's head is 12 o'clock, DeSaussure is at 1 o'clock.

Looks like Pendleton, between Marion and Bull is closest.

Columbiadata, I think I saw that apartment on CL!

Any thoughts on West Columbia? Someone suggested The Avenues (?) there. I have a car, and don't have to be next to campus.
I'd highly recommend being within walking distance of campus so you don't have to look for parking or pay for a space. Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I'd highly recommend being within walking distance of campus so you don't have to look for parking or pay for a space. Just my 2 cents.
Plus, you'll be moving to Columbia during a time when the city is really growing quickly and becoming more exciting. Perhaps not compared to San Diego, but this is an interesting time to live here. You will probably enjoy your experience more if you live closer in.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:18 PM

196 posts, read 213,076 times
All great suggestions, thanks! I have been looking at Cottontown, Earlwood, Heathwood (?), Elmwood and Melrose Heights.

Bouje2, I'll check out the places you mentioned, too.

I would classify myself as an "urban" person (even urban pioneer when I lived in SE Atlanta 16 years ago) so those areas sound terrific.

I would prefer to have a yard. My tiny dog likes to go out every few hours, and it's so much easier to simply let her go out in the yard. Even a balcony or private patio would work.

I am seeing a lot of weird ads on Craigs List and Zillow. The rents listed are odd amounts - like $704/mo or $639/mo. The homes are offered by an LLC, and are described as "rent to own." They look like OK places but all stipulate that they require $2000 down, with the rent going towards principal.

Does that seem scammy to you?

Old 04-21-2015, 04:21 PM

Quote:
All great suggestions, thanks! I have been looking at Cottontown, Earlwood, Heathwood (?), Elmwood and Melrose Heights.

I would classify myself as an "urban" person (even urban pioneer when I lived in SE Atlanta 16 years ago) so those areas sound terrific.

I would prefer to have a yard. My tiny dog likes to go out every few hours, and it's so much easier to simply let her go out in the yard. Even a balcony or private patio would work.

I am seeing a lot of weird ads on Craigs List and Zillow. The rents listed are odd amounts - like $704/mo or $639/mo. The homes are offered by an LLC, and are described as "rent to own." They look like OK places but all stipulate that they require $2000 down, with the rent going towards principal.

I would definitely do my due diligence before committing. May want to have a lawyer friend (if you have one) take a look at the contract, and check with the BBB and other sources to see if the LLC is legitimate.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:22 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:

Yes; there are several companies that have a lot of quads/duplexes, etc. Check out the Wolfe Company, Furman Fulmer Co., etc. They all advertise in the State.

Old 04-21-2015, 04:25 PM

678 posts, read 800,008 times
Quote:

Yes, you have good intuition. I wouldn't ever do any silly rent-to-own setup. You're in luck because the palms on main do as far as I know have balconies with at least some of their apartments. I would definitely look at them when you visit because they are within walking distance of campus and everywhere else you'd ever want to frequent in columbia.

Last edited by Bouje2; 04-21-2015 at 05:51 PM..

Old 04-21-2015, 04:27 PM

196 posts, read 213,076 times
SCxpBrussel, I meant to say that you are right! I had to choose between Tucson, AZ and Columbia.

Apart from its proximity to family in GA, Columbia has always been in the "lead." The kindness that I have experienced from people (both on and offline) has been terrific, as well as the excitement about the city's growth and development that I see on this forum.

In contrast, the Tucson forum seems sad and depressing, with posters complaining about independent businesses closing, lack of development, highways, too much corruption, crime, and too many potholes.

The staff at USC have been spectacularly nice and very helpful. Even the Dean took the time to write a personal note on my acceptance letter, saying how pleased she was that I would be joining the program, and how well my experiences would complement their diverse faculty, etc. Communications have been extremely professional and thorough, too. It has been impressive.

I can't wait to visit Cola next week!

Old 04-21-2015, 04:34 PM

Quote:
SCxpBrussel, I meant to say that you are right! I had to choose between Tucson, AZ and Columbia.

Apart from its proximity to family in GA, Columbia has always been in the "lead." The kindness that I have experienced from people (both on and offline) has been terrific, as well as the excitement about the city's growth and development that I see on this forum.

In contrast, the Tucson forum seems sad and depressing, with posters complaining about independent businesses closing, lack of development, highways, too much corruption, crime, and too many potholes.

The staff at USC have been spectacularly nice and very helpful. Even the Dean took the time to write a personal note on my acceptance letter, saying how pleased she was that I would be joining the program, and how well my experiences would complement their diverse faculty, etc. Communications have been extremely professional and thorough, too. It has been impressive.

I can't wait to visit Cola next week!
That's great! Southern hospitality is a real thing.

Let us know if you want advice on things to see and do next week. You're coming at a beautiful time of year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area