Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 03:10 PM

196 posts, read 212,885 times

Advertisements

Is there a decent mall here? Anchored by stores like Macy's and Seats?

The Richland Mall has poor reviews on Yelp...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 03:15 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,029,916 times
Columbiana Centre in the Irmo/Harbison area. That is the regional suburban-style shopping epicenter for the area. It is of I-26 headed towards Spartanburg, about fifteen minutes or so from downtown (can be much longer with traffic, and that area has Columbia's worst congestion).

Columbia's Macy's is at Columbia Mall in the Two Notch Road area near I-20. That mall is also in decline, but still retains its Macy's. The mall was doing well as recently as the late 90s / early 2000s, but started losing stores to the new town center concept Village at Sandhills built a few miles further out.

For department stores, Belk is king in the South, followed by Dillard's. The Belk at Columbiana has been expanded into a mini-flagship store and should be sufficient for what you're looking for.

Columbiana has Belk, JCPenney, and Dillard's as well as The Limited, Express, Banana Republic, Coach, Michael Kors, Forever 21, etc. Trenholm Plaza in Forest Acres has JCrew and Anthropologie. Urban Outfitters is in the Vista on Gervais St.

Last edited by SCxpBrussel; 04-30-2015 at 03:23 PM..

Old 04-30-2015, 03:50 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
^What SCxpBrussel said. Richland Mall is a declining inner-ring suburban mall that has seen better days. There have been attempts to revitalize it as a premier in-town shopping destination of sorts, but all to no avail.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:10 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Columbiana Mall, Trenholm Plaza, the Village at Sandhill, Devine Street near Five Points, and Crosshill Market at Devine and Fort Jackson Boulevard would be good for starters. For consignment there's DoubleTakes on Lincoln Street in the Vista and Revente on Saluda Avenue in Five Points. There's a women's line at Granger Owings on Main between Lady and Washington. Did you get a chance to pick up a Free Times and any of the little visitors' guides, ByeByeSanDiego? Even though Richland Mall is only one mile from here, I never go there. I can't even think of what's there besides Belk and Barnes & Noble. The whole thing should be torn down and rebuilt with a whole different concept ($$$$$$).

Old 04-30-2015, 04:58 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Convenient to you would be Trenholm Plaza, Columbia Place (Macy's and Sear's), Richland Mall (Belk's and Barnes and Noble), Devine Street, Five Points, the Vista and Main Street. I live in town and almost never go to Columbiana or Sandhills.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:22 PM

196 posts, read 212,885 times
Thanks, everyone! This is very helpful.
As always, you are all wonderful :-)

Old 04-30-2015, 06:58 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeSanDiego View Post
Thanks, everyone! This is very helpful.
As always, you are all wonderful :-)
I would bet you would find much of what you want on Forest Drive, in Trenholm Plaza and on Devine Street, very close to where you're living.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:07 AM

91 posts, read 135,809 times
The Macy's in Columbia Mall is probably the worst Macy's I've ever been to. The selection is poor and just does not measure up to other Macy's in my opinion. They really need to move it out to Columbiana and upgrade the brands they carry. The new Belk Men's store blows them away in terms of what brands and selection they offer for men's clothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area