Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 02:58 PM

1,462 posts, read 2,959,088 times

Advertisements

Columbia among cities considered for Hornets

I really would like the city to land this. I'm just scared that USC runs everything and would be a factor in. It choosing th city....other cities on the list are Greenville, Charleston, Greensboro, Asheville, Raleigh, and Fayeteville. But maybe, with the talent USC has that would be a great next step for those USC players!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 03:06 PM

8,239 posts, read 13,360,755 times
To me.. this would be great for Columbia.. they could play in the old Coliseum.... Perfect location... but oh I forgot... USC....SMH....Then again Mike McGee may be long gone.. He was best know for rejecting the Panthers when they wanted to play their first season in Columbia..

Old 05-04-2015, 04:22 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
If the season is the same as USC then I say no. If they play at a different time I'm all for it.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:41 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,032,122 times
I think Columbia is a long-shot to win this. My bet would be on Greensboro with Raleigh second. Even out of the SC cities, I think Columbia would be the third choice. There are already big time sports in town, and the Gamecocks are most people's focus.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:42 PM

421 posts, read 574,378 times
It will fail in Columbia.

If the Blowfish couldn't sell tickets, a D league basketball team wouldn't move tickets either.

Old 05-04-2015, 06:20 PM

1,101 posts, read 1,337,669 times
Also d league basketball is no prize look at the cities that have teams
Also look at average attendance it's pretty much 0 economic impact
So don't really care

Old 05-04-2015, 07:47 PM

2,167 posts, read 3,133,606 times
The old coliseum is probably not an option. USC tore out a lot of the lower level seating and turned the court sideways so they could fit 3 full size practice courts in there. It is strictly a practice facility now. A D team isn't going to warrant the money needed to turn it back into a single use court again.

Old 05-05-2015, 06:15 AM

40 posts, read 66,953 times
You don't expect a D-league team to bring vast revenues to a city (there are debates on whether pro-teams even bring substantial net financial benefits to cities) but they can be a nice form of local entertainment (typical arena capacity of D-league teams is about 5000). Most teams don't expect to even make money but are an expense to develop young players. The d-league could become more important in future years as the NBA moves to a more formal minor league, similar to baseball, where the best young players can play, forgoing college.
USC's basketball team doesn't have a rich enough tradition to worry about overlap with their season. The league only plays 50 games a year between November and April.

I'd like to see Columbia get the team.

Old 05-05-2015, 08:06 AM

8,239 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulrich1 View Post
You don't expect a D-league team to bring vast revenues to a city (there are debates on whether pro-teams even bring substantial net financial benefits to cities) but they can be a nice form of local entertainment (typical arena capacity of D-league teams is about 5000). Most teams don't expect to even make money but are an expense to develop young players. The d-league could become more important in future years as the NBA moves to a more formal minor league, similar to baseball, where the best young players can play, forgoing college.
USC's basketball team doesn't have a rich enough tradition to worry about overlap with their season. The league only plays 50 games a year between November and April.

I'd like to see Columbia get the team.

Those were my thoughts.. though the entire term "D league" seems to trivialize it Having gone to high school in Columbia.. Basketball is pretty popular here ever since the days of the Lower Richland and Eau Claire HS rivalries...It seems on the rebound since the Lady Gamecocks made their run.....Football in the Midlands seems more popular on the college level than high school unless things have changed. Baseball has always seemed problematic in the City except when the Gamecocks took the College championship... other than that the Bombers and the Blowfish seemed always lukewarm relationship with fans....Over in Lexington.. that may be a different story...

Old 05-14-2015, 12:04 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,274,047 times
A new arena in Columbia?! Sign me up. Is this even feasible with all the money Columbia has sunk into the new baseball stadium? But then again, you'd almost need to build a new arena to even have a chance to attract something like this. We'll see what happens...

Mayor Wants to Build Pro Basketball Facility - Free-Times.com

Woodlands- You echo a little bit of what Carey Rich says in this article.

“Columbia will support any good product, whether it is football, basketball or baseball,” Rich says. “I think, when there is a good product, Columbia has shown it will support any sport. … How many people ever thought the USC women’s basketball team could generate that kind of home court advantage? How many people thought South Carolina women’s basketball could generate 14,000 or 15,000 for a game? Any time there is a good product, Columbia will support it. I played during the era when high school games sold out the Carolina Coliseum. So, I laugh at the notion that nobody cares about basketball. I laugh at that notion because I lived it. My experience defies that myth.”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area