U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2015, 08:31 AM

19,960 posts, read 18,786,557 times

Advertisements

There is speculation Kroger is seeking to construct and open a store in Blythewood.

Two grocers operate in Blythewood:
  • Food Lion #2604; 740 University Village Drive, Blythewood, South Carolina 29016-7611
  • IGA; 135 Blythewood Road, Blythewood, South Carolina 29016-8426
Kroger's nearest store, presently in the construction process, would be store #678 at Killian's Crossing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 08:44 AM

1,710 posts, read 1,501,248 times
Interesting. Blythewood is an underserved market.

It seems there is a new Kroger rumor every week!

Old 06-11-2015, 10:00 AM

Blythewood is an underserved market indeed through present and future growth in northern Richland and southern Fairfield counties.

Kroger's possible arrival would create competition against Food Lion #2604 and IGA, and provide another pharmacy option beside Blythewood Pharmacy (710 University Village Drive Suite C, Blythewood, South Carolina 29016-7611).

Old 06-11-2015, 03:44 PM

6,147 posts, read 9,355,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Blythewood is an underserved market indeed through present and future growth in northern Richland and southern Fairfield counties.

Kroger's possible arrival would create competition against Food Lion #2604 and IGA, and provide another pharmacy option beside Blythewood Pharmacy (710 University Village Drive Suite C, Blythewood, South Carolina 29016-7611).

Southern Fairfield County? I can imagine that it would serve Southern Fairfield.. but I dont know if there will be any "growth" there.....

Old 06-11-2015, 10:16 PM

The Blythewood food retailing and pharmacy market should be able to attract customers from Ridgeway. Winnsboro is the other nearest market.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:36 PM

44 posts, read 48,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Southern Fairfield County? I can imagine that it would serve Southern Fairfield.. but I dont know if there will be any "growth" there.....
I guess you don't follow economic development projects. The Giti Tire plant was listed as #3 in Site Selection mag's top deals of 2014 in North America. It will be in Richburg right off I-77 about 35 miles from Blythewood. Bomag's new North America headquarters is in Ridgeway. There is a new econ dev group dedicated solely to bringing big projects to I-77 from Richland to York. Blythewood and the surrounding areas will most certainly be growing.

Old 06-12-2015, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPetal View Post
I guess you don't follow economic development projects. The Giti Tire plant was listed as #3 in Site Selection mag's top deals of 2014 in North America. It will be in Richburg right off I-77 about 35 miles from Blythewood. Bomag's new North America headquarters is in Ridgeway. There is a new econ dev group dedicated solely to bringing big projects to I-77 from Richland to York. Blythewood and the surrounding areas will most certainly be growing.
Hard to see how Giti will help southern Fairfield anytime soon. I wasn't aware of any sort of headquarters in the Ridgeway area, but that is certainly good news.

I think the poster's point, which is largely accurate, is that Fairfield County is not exactly a hotbed of growth. Blythewood is growing because of its status as a desirable Columbia exurb, not because it is close to Fairfield County.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:28 PM

44 posts, read 48,927 times
It's hard to get through to the posters who are totally focused on downtown Columbia. I love Columbia, but my husband and I moved to NE Richland (Lake Carolina to be exact) because of the great jobs in outlying areas, extremely low crime, and the excellent schools in Richland 2 -- not because it's a "Columbia exurb." A lot of people who live out here are manufacturing/distribution executives. Giti will start hiring soon (1700 manufacturing/distribution jobs), and NE Richland and even Fairfield County will see growth because of the coming ED projects.

Old 06-12-2015, 01:39 PM

Quote:
It's hard to get through to the posters who are totally focused on downtown Columbia. I love Columbia, but my husband and I moved to NE Richland (Lake Carolina to be exact) because of the great jobs in outlying areas, extremely low crime, and the excellent schools in Richland 2 -- not because it's a "Columbia exurb." A lot of people who live out here are manufacturing/distribution executives. Giti will start hiring soon (1700 manufacturing/distribution jobs), and NE Richland and even Fairfield County will see growth because of the coming ED projects.
I understand. There is more to the Midlands than downtown Columbia, but it is hard to argue that the jobs, good schools, and development in Northeast Richland would be there without the economic driver of Columbia.

Old 06-12-2015, 04:58 PM

6,632 posts, read 14,132,531 times
Quote:
Lake Carolina wouldn't exist if it wasn't a suburb of Columbia. As far as Fairfield County is concerned, it's been losing population for years so I doubt that's going to change much in the short term. Giti may hire a few people from Fairfield County, but there are plenty of other places (York, Chester, Lancaster) with workers, too. Fairfield County barely has 20,000 people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area