U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2015, 12:23 PM

3,680 posts, read 1,401,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
A college town is Clemson, Chapel Hill, Athens, Charlottesville, etc. Columbia is too big to be a college town. And there's nothing wrong with healthy, moderate growth. Stay in Charlotte if you want a city growing like gangbusters; nobody's making you leave.
I'm not saying it's a bad thing to be a college town. Obviously the city goes along with whatever USC wants so that's the fate of the city College towns can be mid-sized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2015, 01:49 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,501,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpretori View Post
I think Columbia's fate is to become a college town and grow at a slow to moderate pace. I guess the only positive would be is that the town has a positive net population growth.
"Fate." What insight.

There are lots of cities with big student populations that do quite well. Boston, Montreal, and Austin come to mind.

Columbia is growing nicely now and the census predictions are for increased growth in the future. We have nothing to apologize for, and if one housing project being slow-walked to death wants to give you a case of the feels, whatever.

Old 12-31-2015, 01:52 PM

29,709 posts, read 27,133,604 times
Quote:
I'm not saying it's a bad thing to be a college town. Obviously the city goes along with whatever USC wants so that's the fate of the city College towns can be mid-sized.
Columbia isn't a traditional college town; it's a city with a large university downtown. Obviously USC plays a big role in the life of the city, but the city doesn't completely revolve around the university like in quintessential college towns. And no, the city doesn't go along with whatever USC wants; that's a gross oversimplification of town and gown relations in Columbia.

And it seems like you'd be happy that this project got scrapped. Aren't you constantly talking about how there's too much student-oriented housing developments in Columbia?

Old 12-31-2015, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
"Fate." What insight.

There are lots of cities with big student populations that do quite well. Boston, Montreal, and Austin come to mind.

Columbia is growing nicely now and the census predictions are for increased growth in the future. We have nothing to apologize for, and if one housing project being slow-walked to death wants to give you a case of the feels, whatever.
Columbia is far from Boston and Montreal and Austin especially. Yea, Columbia is growing moderately, but not exponential. I consider any growth good, but my expectations were too high coming from Charlotte. The "slow walk of death" will have repercussions for the City as the article stated in turning off prospective developers.

Quote:
Columbia isn't a traditional college town; it's a city with a large university downtown. Obviously USC plays a big role in the life of the city, but the city doesn't completely revolve around the university like in quintessential college towns. And no, the city doesn't go along with whatever USC wants; that's a gross oversimplification of town and gown relations in Columbia.

And it seems like you'd be happy that this project got scrapped. Aren't you constantly talking about how there's too much student-oriented housing developments in Columbia?
Oh, it would have been better if it was more young professional oriented or at least had retail on the lower levels. But in the end, something would have been better than nothing. Now there is nothing, and a p###d off developer. Developers talk and this could set a bad precedent.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:25 PM

29,709 posts, read 27,133,604 times
Quote:
Oh, it would have been better if it was more young professional oriented or at least had retail on the lower levels. But in the end, something would have been better than nothing. Now there is nothing, and a p###d off developer. Developers talk and this could set a bad precedent.
I disagree with the notion that "something is better than nothing." That's the mindset that permits bad development and reeks of desperatism. In many cases, it's better to wait until a better proposal comes along. Either way, I think you're making way too much of this one development; it's not the first proposal to die and it won't be the last. These things happen in cities, including Charlotte. But Columbia is in the midst of a development boom now so it's not like that one project was the only thing going on in the city.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:33 PM

6,634 posts, read 14,132,531 times
Quote:
I disagree with the notion that "something is better than nothing." That's the mindset that permits bad development and reeks of desperatism. In many cases, it's better to wait until a better proposal comes along. Either way, I think you're making way too much of this one development; it's not the first proposal to die and it won't be the last. These things happen in cities, including Charlotte. But Columbia is in the midst of a development boom now so it's not like that one project was the only thing going on in the city.
I totally agree; we don't need to be beholden to developers at all costs. IMO, moderate, sustainable growth is much better than unbridled and poorly planned growth.

Old 12-31-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I agree, I hope a better proposal comes along. I guess we will find out the effects of it in the coming months. I just hope that the new owner will build mixed use. That would be really nice. I hope Kline gets approved next month and bull street. If they start construction on Lady next year, that would be a huge feat for Columbia. Lady isn't seeking legal advice next meeting, so that means that they have moved to the next step hopefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I totally agree; we don't need to be beholden to developers at all costs. IMO, moderate, sustainable growth is much better than unbridled and poorly planned growth.
It wasnt so much poor but conniving. If USC would have said to the developer that they wanted to build their own dorm before they bought the land or publicly told all prospective developers how many beds they would need that would be a different story. Not some BS shadow study.

Old 01-01-2016, 08:52 AM

975 posts, read 998,370 times
The hidden silver lining is tgst land is growing more and more valuable as prime downturn tracts become more scarce. If that trend continues this spot could be a high end condo (think a more opulent version of the adesso catering to college professors)

Old 01-01-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
The hidden silver lining is tgst land is growing more and more valuable as prime downturn tracts become more scarce. If that trend continues this spot could be a high end condo (think a more opulent version of the adesso catering to college professors)
That is true Property prices in Downtown have gone up alot since the recession. The only downside is, the time on the market for properties in downtown has increased also. With more inventory coming on the market, i hope it does not drive land prices down.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:38 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,510,288 times
I agree USC is a large economic engine for the area and that is not a bad thing. But that being said, the city should not cater to their every needs.

Now, I am glad that we wont have yet another large student housing development downtown, but its crazy to think that USC's influence played a role in pushing the project away.

No, Columbia is not a Clemson, Chapel Hill, or Auburn, its too large. BUT, the more Columbia bends over to USC, the more developments cater to students, all downtown in the city's focal point, the more it gives off a perception of being a college town and why would you want to have that perception when the city could be so much more?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area