U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-15-2015, 03:27 PM
 
6,144 posts, read 9,353,285 times
Reputation: 1784

Advertisements

USC got the City to close Greene Street....now I cant cruise through the campus and check out the hot babes.. Didnt Benedict try to get the City to close Oak Street? Last I checked it was still open..they just painted a nicer crosswalk..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-15-2015, 03:31 PM
 
1,495 posts, read 1,509,720 times
Reputation: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
Do you have a link to prove this? If not, then I assume this is wrong. I've never seen anything to support your claim that Columbia paid for the CLA. USC pays for all of its buildings with its own funds and federal education grants, like every other university. Is the City of Clemson paying for the Littlejohn renovations? No, and the same is true for Columbia.
No since Little John is solely used for Clemson University unlike Colonial Life Arena and more so, the intended uses for CLA.

I am well aware USC helped fund this, I never said they didn't. I'm just saying it was a partnership between the city and the university that I feel like became a bit one- sided. For example (and this isn't just because I am a Clemson fan) I hate the fact that the CLA logo has the Gamecock on it. It makes it look more like Little John or something.

Also let me say this, I am a 26 year old post grad, so I happen to know what I am talking about when I say folks in my age group dont want to be surrounded by college kids or college stuff. We graduated and therefore want to move on from that as much as we can considering that we can no longer be in college and have the fun we used to.

I would also like to point out that this the main reason I left Columbia and no it has nothing to do with Clemson fan...if Clemson was in downtown Columbia I would have done the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2015, 03:31 PM
 
Location: Columbia, South Carolina
1,710 posts, read 1,500,983 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
I have the cut out from a newspaper article from the State at my parents house from when it opened that says so (I was a hockey player when I was a kid and was excited about getting a team) but I can't find it online anywhere. Where is you' re evidence that says I am incorrect on this?
You're asking me to prove a negative. I've never seen anything that said Columbia helped pay for the CLA, which is generally a solid footing upon which to believe something didn't exist.

Regardless of who is right or wrong, let's assume you are right for a moment. The CLA would have been a good investment by Columbia. The other projects you mentioned were paid for by USC and yet are still net positives for the city. Our debate on this began by you asserting USC has been more harmful than helpful to Columbia's development. I think that is ridiculous. Even granting USC has made some bad calls from time to time still does not lend any credence to your claim.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2015, 03:38 PM
 
1,495 posts, read 1,509,720 times
Reputation: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
You're asking me to prove a negative. I've never seen anything that said Columbia helped pay for the CLA, which is generally a solid footing upon which to believe something didn't exist.

Regardless of who is right or wrong, let's assume you are right for a moment. The CLA would have been a good investment by Columbia. The other projects you mentioned were paid for by USC and yet are still net positives for the city. Our debate on this began by you asserting USC has been more harmful than helpful to Columbia's development. I think that is ridiculous. Even granting USC has made some bad calls from time to time still does not lend any credence to your claim.
No, actually I am asking you to prove your claim that USC paid for CLA solely.

Also, I think you have misunderstood my issues with USC and are making assumptions yourself. I did not say that USC was bad for the city, it is not and no one would argue differently. But having it dominate the city and the city allowing the university to call the shots is in issue and something that I feel is harmful to the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2015, 03:49 PM
 
Location: Columbia, South Carolina
1,710 posts, read 1,500,983 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
No since Little John is solely used for Clemson University unlike Colonial Life Arena and more so, the intended uses for CLA.

I am well aware USC helped fund this, I never said they didn't. I'm just saying it was a partnership between the city and the university that I feel like became a bit one- sided. For example (and this isn't just because I am a Clemson fan) I hate the fact that the CLA logo has the Gamecock on it. It makes it look more like Little John or something.

Also let me say this, I am a 26 year old post grad, so I happen to know what I am talking about when I say folks in my age group dont want to be surrounded by college kids or college stuff. We graduated and therefore want to move on from that as much as we can considering that we can no longer be in college and have the fun we used to.

I would also like to point out that this the main reason I left Columbia and no it has nothing to do with Clemson fan...if Clemson was in downtown Columbia I would have done the same thing.
I'm only a few years older than you. We are both post-grad Millennials. I don't hang out at college bars either, but proximity to college stuff doesn't cause me to go into hysterics. It is not hard at all to live a young professional life in Columbia and not have "college stuff" shoved down your throat. I think it is safe to say that it was a wise decision for you to move because you clearly weren't going to be happy here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2015, 04:49 PM
 
Location: Columbia, SC
665 posts, read 602,853 times
Reputation: 188
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
I'm only a few years older than you. We are both post-grad Millennials. I don't hang out at college bars either, but proximity to college stuff doesn't cause me to go into hysterics. It is not hard at all to live a young professional life in Columbia and not have "college stuff" shoved down your throat. I think it is safe to say that it was a wise decision for you to move because you clearly weren't going to be happy here.
I agree. Columbia has something for everyone. Certainly it has a college flavor to it, but you can easily go out in the vista and not run into many college students, especially at certain bars, though there are a few "five points" type bars in the vista (eg, tin roof). This is not Athens, not Clemson, not Gainesville, where I can imagine it might truly be very tough to be some years after graduating. We are more like a smaller version of Raleigh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2015, 05:20 PM
 
Location: Columbia, South Carolina
1,710 posts, read 1,500,983 times
Reputation: 353
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
I agree. Columbia has something for everyone. Certainly it has a college flavor to it, but you can easily go out in the vista and not run into many college students, especially at certain bars, though there are a few "five points" type bars in the vista (eg, tin roof). This is not Athens, not Clemson, not Gainesville, where I can imagine it might truly be very tough to be some years after graduating. We are more like a smaller version of Raleigh.
Or Austin
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2015, 06:05 PM
 
Location: Columbia SC
8,846 posts, read 7,638,261 times
Reputation: 11957
I think the new Bull St development area and baseball team is one of the first and best push backs from Columbia to USC. It is almost like saying OK, we will give you one side of Gervais St, but the other side is ours.

Let us hope the city pulls it off, if not USC will be saying nice try but leave it up to us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-15-2015, 07:06 PM
 
1,495 posts, read 1,509,720 times
Reputation: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
I'm only a few years older than you. We are both post-grad Millennials. I don't hang out at college bars either, but proximity to college stuff doesn't cause me to go into hysterics. It is not hard at all to live a young professional life in Columbia and not have "college stuff" shoved down your throat. I think it is safe to say that it was a wise decision for you to move because you clearly weren't going to be happy here.
I am not saying that it is that way in Columbia now, as I said the relationship between the city and university has become much more mutually beneficial in recent years thus allowing Columbia to grow further away from just being centered around USC but things like bending for USC will hurt that to a point.

I lived on Main for two years as a post grad and completely agree that Columbia has something for everyone and that is due to Columbia re gaining control of their city and revamping their relationship with USC. All Im saying is the city does not need to go backwards and bend over for USC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2015, 08:01 AM
 
6,144 posts, read 9,353,285 times
Reputation: 1784
"they are trying to turn Main Street into Manhattan.......people in Moscow live in highrises...its unAmerican. This land is your land.. this land aint Thailand... stay in California.. and the NY Highlands... this land aint made for you.. just me......."

Lifelong Columbia Resident- from 1956
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:28 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top