U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-16-2015, 11:25 AM
 
109 posts, read 109,873 times
Reputation: 53

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
No, actually I am asking you to prove your claim that USC paid for CLA solely.

Also, I think you have misunderstood my issues with USC and are making assumptions yourself. I did not say that USC was bad for the city, it is not and no one would argue differently. But having it dominate the city and the city allowing the university to call the shots is in issue and something that I feel is harmful to the city.
"Is a $64 million project with $44 million coming from USC Athletics Department funds. Other funding from the project came from state-appropriated funds ($12.5 million), and $2.5 million each from Richland County, Lexington County and the City of Columbia. The $64 million figure does not include land acquired for the site that was obtained in an exchange involving a Norfolk & Southern donation to the University. "(Link - http://www.gamecocksonline.com/facilities/colonial-life-arena.html )

They didn't, but they did pay for most of it and are also the primary owner and operator of the building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
No since Little John is solely used for Clemson University unlike Colonial Life Arena and more so, the intended uses for CLA.

I am well aware USC helped fund this, I never said they didn't. I'm just saying it was a partnership between the city and the university that I feel like became a bit one- sided. For example (and this isn't just because I am a Clemson fan) I hate the fact that the CLA logo has the Gamecock on it. It makes it look more like Little John or something.
The fact that USC paid for most of the arena, with the county and city getting tax revenue from it every year, is one reason the USC logo is on the building. I am confused as to why you think the city should be able to dictate what goes on in a building where their investment was around 4%. One could argue very easily that the City has already received their investment back in the form of tax revenue over the past 12 or so years.

Will have an estimated $23 million annual impact on the Midlands area. During the two-year construction period, Colonial Life Arena had an estimated economic impact of $60 million annually on the Midlands.

- On the topic of the housing development, the City is not shown that they will even entertain USC's objection. This is the first time they have been against any of the off campus housing, as they didn't say anything for the 14 story building planned for the block next to the Arnold Health school. With the tax revenue that USC brings into the city, they have to right to object to anything they want. We shouldn't blindly listen, but they have the right.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-16-2015, 12:17 PM
 
1,495 posts, read 1,512,578 times
Reputation: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd803 View Post
"Is a $64 million project with $44 million coming from USC Athletics Department funds. Other funding from the project came from state-appropriated funds ($12.5 million), and $2.5 million each from Richland County, Lexington County and the City of Columbia. The $64 million figure does not include land acquired for the site that was obtained in an exchange involving a Norfolk & Southern donation to the University. "(Link - http://www.gamecocksonline.com/facilities/colonial-life-arena.html )

They didn't, but they did pay for most of it and are also the primary owner and operator of the building.



The fact that USC paid for most of the arena, with the county and city getting tax revenue from it every year, is one reason the USC logo is on the building. I am confused as to why you think the city should be able to dictate what goes on in a building where their investment was around 4%. One could argue very easily that the City has already received their investment back in the form of tax revenue over the past 12 or so years.

Will have an estimated $23 million annual impact on the Midlands area. During the two-year construction period, Colonial Life Arena had an estimated economic impact of $60 million annually on the Midlands.

- On the topic of the housing development, the City is not shown that they will even entertain USC's objection. This is the first time they have been against any of the off campus housing, as they didn't say anything for the 14 story building planned for the block next to the Arnold Health school. With the tax revenue that USC brings into the city, they have to right to object to anything they want. We shouldn't blindly listen, but they have the right.
Todd, thank you for the wealth of information and I do believe you have some valid points about USC owning the arena I just still feel as though there could have been a greater partnership on this venue in the beginning stages and not allowing the hockey team to play there is an example of such but in general I have to agree with you to a point considering USC is primary owner of the arena but I do still feel that the city should have some say so in it since even though a small amount, money was put up for it.

The gamecock logo on the arena is just a personal distaste and really nothing more...IMO I think it makes it look more like a college basketball arena rather than a multipurpose facility that is designed to serve more than just USC but thats just me and youre right, they paid for it so I don't have an argument all I can do is complain.

As for the development itself, I couldn't agree with you more and of course they have the right to complain or object to anything, as does anyone in the city of Columbia and quite frankly I have been against all the student housing coming into the city so I could care less if this development happens or not, I just don't want to see the city have to stop plans on something just because USC doesn't want it, thats all I am saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2015, 03:35 PM
 
109 posts, read 109,873 times
Reputation: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Todd, thank you for the wealth of information and I do believe you have some valid points about USC owning the arena I just still feel as though there could have been a greater partnership on this venue in the beginning stages and not allowing the hockey team to play there is an example of such but in general I have to agree with you to a point considering USC is primary owner of the arena but I do still feel that the city should have some say so in it since even though a small amount, money was put up for it.

The gamecock logo on the arena is just a personal distaste and really nothing more...IMO I think it makes it look more like a college basketball arena rather than a multipurpose facility that is designed to serve more than just USC but thats just me and youre right, they paid for it so I don't have an argument all I can do is complain.

As for the development itself, I couldn't agree with you more and of course they have the right to complain or object to anything, as does anyone in the city of Columbia and quite frankly I have been against all the student housing coming into the city so I could care less if this development happens or not, I just don't want to see the city have to stop plans on something just because USC doesn't want it, thats all I am saying.
Great points, thanks for the discussion. I do think the city needs to be aware that not everyone here is a fan of USC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-16-2015, 05:50 PM
 
1,495 posts, read 1,512,578 times
Reputation: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd803 View Post
Great points, thanks for the discussion. I do think the city needs to be aware that not everyone here is a fan of USC.
For sure, I think the new baseball team will help a lot with that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2015, 04:42 AM
 
Location: the sticks
810 posts, read 1,298,238 times
Reputation: 572
yes it is hard to understand how a major state univ has any influence or footprint in its' homebase. clempson of course has its own little town, complete with pawprints all over everthing, and thats OK as long as their big city next door is not so influenced, yea right.

whether you like it or not, this is also a little college town, and we get a part of it just like yall. unbelievable
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2015, 06:59 AM
 
1,495 posts, read 1,512,578 times
Reputation: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
yes it is hard to understand how a major state univ has any influence or footprint in its' homebase. clempson of course has its own little town, complete with pawprints all over everthing, and thats OK as long as their big city next door is not so influenced, yea right.

whether you like it or not, this is also a little college town, and we get a part of it just like yall. unbelievable
I hate to break it to you, but Columbia has a few more things going on there than just Carolina and unlike Clemson, Columbia is not centered around the college. Its fine for USC to have a big footprint in Columbia as it rightfully does and similar to Clemson's large footprint in Greenville and no one has any problem with that.

You have to deal with the fact that while there is a big footprint for USC in Columbia, the USC home base is also the capital, largest city, and filled with many people who dont have any affiliation with USC as a student, alumni, faculty/staff, etc. and that many of Columbia residents have an affiliation with Clemson instead who moved here for jobs or grew up here and went to Clemson over USC...Columbia metro High Schools primarily Lexington/Irmo area consistently are some of the Top feeder high schools for Clemson so no I dont think we need to paint gamecocks all over Gervais Street leading into the city.

I mean if you really hate that youre college's home base is a center for commerce and government and isn't solely here to serve the university, you can always put on orange and come up to the Upstate!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2015, 07:11 AM
 
Location: Columbia, South Carolina
1,710 posts, read 1,504,222 times
Reputation: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
I hate to break it to you, but Columbia has a few more things going on there than just Carolina and unlike Clemson, Columbia is not centered around the college. Its fine for USC to have a big footprint in Columbia as it rightfully does and similar to Clemson's large footprint in Greenville and no one has any problem with that.

You have to deal with the fact that while there is a big footprint for USC in Columbia, the USC home base is also the capital, largest city, and filled with many people who dont have any affiliation with USC as a student, alumni, faculty/staff, etc. and that many of Columbia residents have an affiliation with Clemson instead who moved here for jobs or grew up here and went to Clemson over USC...Columbia metro High Schools primarily Lexington/Irmo area consistently are some of the Top feeder high schools for Clemson so no I dont think we need to paint gamecocks all over Gervais Street leading into the city.

I mean if you really hate that youre college's home base is a center for commerce and government and isn't solely here to serve the university, you can always put on orange and come up to the Upstate!
Perhaps burr will clarify, because I read his comment the opposite of how you did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2015, 07:27 AM
 
Location: the sticks
810 posts, read 1,298,238 times
Reputation: 572
No need to clarify Brussel, you don't seem to have the attitude that resents a college logo on the home court but also paints orange paws up and down the road and on Carolinas' stadium turfgrass and the cabooses ect. Columbia is the home of the University of South Carolina and just so happens to be the state capitol as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-17-2015, 07:42 AM
 
1,495 posts, read 1,512,578 times
Reputation: 615
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
No need to clarify Brussel, you don't seem to have the attitude that resents a college logo on the home court but also paints orange paws up and down the road and on Carolinas' stadium turfgrass and the cabooses ect. Columbia is the home of the University of South Carolina and just so happens to be the state capitol as well.
Right, because this is what were talking about here... and I think we all know that when you say you oppose having a gamecock logo on Colonial Life Arena it means you obviously support the vandalism that was caused at Williams Brice Stadium...duh!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-24-2015, 07:59 PM
 
Location: Lexington & Columbia, SC
222 posts, read 257,482 times
Reputation: 67
Looks like the developer is going to present their proposal largely unchanged from initial plans.

Student tower developers stick to their 15-story plan | The State The State
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:34 AM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top