Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2015, 12:43 PM

2 posts, read 3,416 times

Advertisements

I am beginning a new job at USC in July 2015 and need to move to Columbia fast.

I have looked at a nice house just off of Rhame Rd (in the Summit neighborhood off of Clemson Rd). I'm thinking about taking it but just want some advice about the area and traffic.

Can anyone give me an estimate of time to get to USC campus (Pickens Street)?
Any suggestions on the best route to work that would be great too? Do I go Hard Scrabble? I-20?

Any advice would be great. Thank you for your time and your information is greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Lby54229; 06-22-2015 at 01:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2015, 01:02 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,029,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lby54229 View Post
I am beginning a new job at USC in July 2015 and need to move to Columbia fast.

I have looked at a nice house just off of Rhame Rd (in the Summit neighborhood off of Clemson Rd). I'm thinking about taking it but just want some advice about the area and traffic.

Can anyone give me an estimate of time to get to USC campus (Pickens Street)?
And, the best way to get to work that would be great too? Do I go Hard Scrabble? I-20?

Any advice would be great. Thank you for your time and your information is greatly appreciated.
I don't live in that area, so I'm not sure about the best shortcuts. Off the top of my head, I would take Clemson/Killian Roads to I-77 to 277 to Bull Street to the USC campus. Thirty minutes should be enough time, perhaps 45 minutes on a bad day.

Old 06-22-2015, 01:43 PM

730 posts, read 1,401,153 times
Do some homework. Some parts of the Summit are good, others not so much. Very hit and miss with the sections of that development.

Old 06-22-2015, 11:32 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,444,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger17 View Post
Do some homework. Some parts of the Summit are good, others not so much. Very hit and miss with the sections of that development.
x2

A friend of ours lived in The Summit for some years, her first house after college. Moved out after all the problems she experienced, and crime reports from nearby (Summit) neighborhoods.

The Summit is actually several neighborhoods, rolled into one big housing area. Each neighborhood has houses suitable for different income levels. It may surprise some, but some of the higher-end homes are home to drug dealers.

I wouldn't live there if I were single, and young, but to each their own. Family, maybe.

The Summit just looks like it was thrown together, without any neighborhood feel to it, and there's no retail in the middle, like a corner store or something along those lines. I guess it appeals to some folks who really like living in NE Richland Cty Don't get me wrong, there are some nice areas in NE, but the Summit is not my cup of tea.

The upside is it's close to a lot of retail, very convenient.

If you make the move to The Summit, try to avoid Two Notch and Decker, traffic-wise.

Old 06-23-2015, 10:53 AM

44 posts, read 66,212 times
Why the Summit? If I were looking at living in the NE it would be for a safer neighborhood w/excellent schools. Lake Carolina, wildewood, various neighborhoods in Blythewood, etc., but probably not the Summit.

Old 06-23-2015, 11:39 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,197,531 times
I live in the Northeast, but much closer to I-20. Thus, I-20 is the route that I take when I travel to work, which is located in downtown Columbia. There are several routes that you could take to get to the University of South Carolina. It takes me approximately 25 minutes to get downtown. If you travel from the Summit on Clemson to I-20, then I would anticipate a 35 minute commute (with heavy traffic). You could take the route that SCxpBrussel suggested, but I suspect that may take more time. I have friends who live in Lake Carolina, which is very close to the Summit, and they take Killian Rd. to Farrow Rd to I-77. Again, I suspect that may take a little longer than I-20, but I am somewhat biased because I never drive on Clemson Rd, nor toward the Summit area, in the morning hours.

As for the Summit area more generally, I really cannot provide comments because I never really drive through it. I do know two people at my church who live there, and both are professors at the University of South Carolina. We typically do not talk about the Summit area. However, I do not recall either of them mentioning feeling unsafe or seeing drug-related activities in their neighborhood. Also, I sometimes see this retired couple at the Starbucks located at the Village at Sandhills, which is very close to the Summit area. On one occasion, I struck of a conversation with them. Both are retirees from the University of South Carolina. They live in the Summit, but I do not recall them mentioning feeling unsafe. This, of course, does not mean what others have said about the Summit are not true. It just means that there clearly are a number of professionals who live in the Summit area also.

Old 06-24-2015, 11:09 AM

1,477 posts, read 2,197,531 times
I forgot to mention something that is probably obvious. The time that you leave in the morning will determine how fast you are able to get downtown. I left at 7:30 this morning and headed out on Spears Creek Church Rd to I-20. Spears Creek Church Rd is one exit beyond the Clemson Rd. exit. The traffic wasn't terribly heavy, and I was able to get to the Bull Street and Harden intersection in exactly 13 minutes. Of course, Bull Street typically is where the traffic slows down significantly. (Oh, I cannot say that speeding was not a factor in my drive .)

Old 06-24-2015, 12:20 PM

744 posts, read 747,209 times
The drive will probably take anywhere from 30-45 minutes, depending on traffic. I drive from Longreen Parkway area to Two Notch and Forest Dr. every day, and it generally takes me about 25-35 minutes. Best time being about 22 minutes, worst time being 60 min +.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area