U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2015, 03:06 PM

2 posts, read 3,315 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My family is moving to either Chapin, Irmo or Blythewood since my husband will be working at VC Summer. I am looking for suggestions on good public schools in these areas. I've done some research and have narrowed it down to a few schools, but would love to hear peoples experiences with these schools. We are looking to only live 30-40 minutes from the plant. That's one reason I've looked into these particular schools. Thanks!

Chapin Elementary

Lake Murray

Ballentine

Oak Pointe

Bethel Hanberry

Round Top
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2015, 11:51 AM

127 posts, read 97,336 times
You will have good experiences with the Chapin High (Chapin Elem and Lake Murray Elem) or the Dutch Fork High group of schools in Lex-Rich 5 school district. Dutch Fork High tends to show up in top high school lists in SC.

I know you're asking about elementary schools, but if the high schools are good, then that success tends to be reflected in the middle and elementary schools.

Old 07-06-2015, 12:24 PM

15 posts, read 25,585 times
They probably would rank out like this:

1. LMES/Oak Pointe

2. BES

3. CES

4. Round Top

5. Bethel Hanberry

Old 07-06-2015, 04:53 PM

44 posts, read 48,712 times
Lake Murray (Lex 1), Brockman, and Lake Carolina (which is in Blythewood) are the midlands area schools in the statewide top ten of all 600+ elementary schools. Lake Murray (Lex 5) and Ballentine are in the top 25, but the rest on your list are in the 70s and higher. They are all probably decent -- we have lots of great schools in the midlands.

Old 07-06-2015, 05:27 PM

70 posts, read 93,384 times
Lake Murray(Lex 5). My daughter goes there and they have so many year round after school activities! In my neighborhood next to Lake Murray, there are at least 2 people I know that work at nuclear plant(I can't remember which ones).

Old 07-19-2015, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 3,315 times
Thanks everyone! We have narrowed it down to Chapin or Irmo. We're mostly looking at houses in the zone for Ballentine or Lake Murray elementary schools now.

Old 07-19-2015, 11:37 PM

320 posts, read 372,223 times
Milford park isn't a bad place to live but as someone alluding to in another thread traffic can get backed up at times. I don't believe the road widening will happen for 2-3 more years.

Milford park is a nice young neighborhood with lots of young families

Old 07-20-2015, 07:20 PM

70 posts, read 93,384 times
If you pick Lake Murray, I would look at Foxport subdivision which there is a walkway to the school from the subdivision--no need to drive unless you are in first phase(near entrance) of subdivision. We save lots of gas because our daughter just walks to and from school!

Old 05-02-2016, 07:29 AM

222 posts, read 312,159 times
Is there any bad areas in Irmo? I work at alpine road and wondering if the commute would be that horrible? My commute is 10-15 minutes right now in the NE.

Looking for better schools and better lifestyle. Seems like there's a lot of cheaper housing and don't understand why it's so cheap?

I really can find what I'm looking anywhere but I like the Harbison area, I like the lake area (maybe shared dock community).

I'm really upgrading my house and have looked at wildewood (older houses, maybe older people, i'm 32), lake carolina (apartments concern me, hard scrabble sucks, crappy location, crammed together but love the community), woodcreek farms (very nice, but for my budget wouldn't get much of what I want, and expensive HOA with pool).

I also have looked around the "well known" areas of downtown but we don't even have kids yet and schools concern me. That is Shandon, melrose heights, heathwood areas... Nice but a little pricey.

Why are those areas so desirable? Proximity to downtown? Other than that they are older houses with not much in walking distance. It'd be nice to be close to maybe Devine street. I can see if you have money to do private schools and but whatever you want it'd be great.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:54 AM

6,621 posts, read 14,108,103 times
^ A lot of people don't want to live in the suburbs, myself included. Dreher and Flora feeder schools are good - proximity to Devine Street, Five Points, Main Street and the Vista.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area