Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2015, 12:40 PM

2,099 posts, read 2,274,543 times

Advertisements

It's the only southern city I have to compare it with having lived in. I was exaggerating on Jax. But I still think Columbia could use a lot of infill. Bouje, wacca, SCxp had informative posts. It sounds like things are going in the right direction. I am still surprised it is controversial to describe Columbia as conservative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2015, 01:34 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,029,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SavannahLife View Post
It's the only southern city I have to compare it with having lived in. I was exaggerating on Jax. But I still think Columbia could use a lot of infill. Bouje, wacca, SCxp had informative posts. It sounds like things are going in the right direction. I am still surprised it is controversial to describe Columbia as conservative.
It's not that it is controversial, it's that it is unsupported by empirical evidence.

Columbia does need a lot of infill, but the built environment is set up to support it. From what I've seen of Jacksonville (and most of Florida, for that matter) it what built with sprawl and the automobile in mind. I lived in Tampa for a while, so I speak from experience here.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:05 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,555,957 times
Quote:
It's not controversial, it just isn't true.

Old 07-29-2015, 12:52 PM

SCxp has a point on empirical, as the statistics are solid. But it did not feel that way a few years back. Maybe it was just my neighborhood (northeast). Everyone went to Shandon, watched Fox etc. Anyway I find it surprising ya'll are in to this. At the least, do you acknowledge SC is a deep red state?

Old 07-29-2015, 01:33 PM

Quote:
SCxp has a point on empirical, as the statistics are solid. But it did not feel that way a few years back. Maybe it was just my neighborhood (northeast). Everyone went to Shandon, watched Fox etc. Anyway I find it surprising ya'll are in to this. At the least, do you acknowledge SC is a deep red state?
Of course SC is a red state, although not as deep red as others. Mississippi, Alabama, Oklahoma, Kansas are all governed by more extreme Republican parties. Presidential elections here are generally 55-45% in favor of the Republican candidate. That's solidly red, but not as slanted as other places. Without the Upstate, SC would be trending purple like Georgia (as in, not there yet, but maybe in a decade or so). As it is, SC will be a GOP stronghold for the foreseeable future, but our Republicans aren't as radicalized as other places.

I suspect your experience in Columbia has a lot to do with living in the Northeast suburbs. Judging by the wait time for a table for Sunday brunch at 11am, there are a lot of people skipping church pretty regularly

Old 08-12-2015, 06:04 AM

11 posts, read 18,985 times
I think these debates are good. But it's rude to say someone is "wrong" for what they describe about a city. Perspective is like feelings. They aren't right or wrong. They just are. And while numbers are important, and interesting, and even encouraging to read, as the stats quoted are for me, the reality is that your perception of a city is going to be vastly different from that of the person, any person, standing next to you. And, it's going to be heavily affected by where you live and work, as well as your age.

Person A from Dillon who is 60 and works for a small private company is going to experience Columbia as liberal, with lots to do and lots of restaurants. Person B from Charleston who is 25 will find it middle-of-the-road politically and pretty boring, with little to do. Person C from Charlotte who is 41 will agree with Person B, and say that Columbia feels "very conservative, not middle." And Person D, from San Francisco, who is in her 60s, will say that she WOULD HAVE felt that way years ago, but is now looking for something "small and quiet" and doesn't need as much as much to do.

SCxp, I'm guessing you're not a trial lawyer.

Old 08-12-2015, 06:30 AM

3 posts, read 2,527 times
Not sure how you would feel about the Lexington area, but I have neighbors who sound like your kind of people and they seem to really love the quiet and family friendliness in Lexington. You can also find a large home schooling group as well as some great house rentals. I recommend contacting Ted Sutton with Sutton and Sons Realty - [url=http://suttonandsonsrealty.com/]Sutton and Sons Realty - Home[/url].

Walking: I'm not sure you'll find all of the great places together in one walking distance area, but I do agree that the Rosewood area can offer that. I have heard stories of the homeless using hosepipes in the front yard to take showers, but my friend still enjoys living there and finds it easy to walk to school with her kids.

I recommend checking out [url=http://www.kidfriendlycolumbia.com/]Kid Friendly Columbia - Columbia, South Carolina - Things to Do[/url] for a list of things going on in the Columbia area for kids.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-12-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCLawyerGal View Post
I think these debates are good. But it's rude to say someone is "wrong" for what they describe about a city. Perspective is like feelings. They aren't right or wrong. They just are. And while numbers are important, and interesting, and even encouraging to read, as the stats quoted are for me, the reality is that your perception of a city is going to be vastly different from that of the person, any person, standing next to you. And, it's going to be heavily affected by where you live and work, as well as your age.

Person A from Dillon who is 60 and works for a small private company is going to experience Columbia as liberal, with lots to do and lots of restaurants. Person B from Charleston who is 25 will find it middle-of-the-road politically and pretty boring, with little to do. Person C from Charlotte who is 41 will agree with Person B, and say that Columbia feels "very conservative, not middle." And Person D, from San Francisco, who is in her 60s, will say that she WOULD HAVE felt that way years ago, but is now looking for something "small and quiet" and doesn't need as much as much to do.

When someone makes a statement that goes against empirical, verifiable evidence, they are wrong and I do not care if you consider it rude to say so. Sometimes people's feelings are wrong as well. Feeling something doesn't make it true. Get over yourself.

Last edited by SCxpBrussel; 08-12-2015 at 07:17 AM..

Old 08-12-2015, 07:24 AM

Quote:

This is a great City-Data post Lawyer Gal. I enjoy your cogent logic. Person A-B-C description...reminds me of the LSAT games.

Old 08-12-2015, 09:15 AM

678 posts, read 799,077 times
Quote:

Oh please... "nothing to do" compared to charleston ? We have plenty to do here when compared to charleston, without all the Louis Vuitton-wearing tourists, and much more affordable housing in the downtown district. And who thinks Charlotte is liberal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area