U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2015, 10:33 AM

9 posts, read 5,681 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are considering relocating back to SC within the next year. Once we list our home and it sells we should have a large down payment for a new home. We currently live in a stick built traditional ranch home but we are aching for more space. We live in one of these planned communities where your neighbors house is 12 feet away, our back yard is small, our front yard is small. We have 3 dogs and 2 kids so we desperately want SPACE. So we are looking into getting land and putting a manufactured home on it.

We went to one of our local Clayton Home centers and walked through some of their homes. Honestly we were fairly impressed with the overall quality of them. I've personally lived in a "mobile home" for a few years when I was younger and my dad has lived in one his whole life (very very rural area where cost of stick built homes is outrageous) so I have a very good idea of what they are like.

I've tried looking up reviews of Clayton Homes and all I can find is really really bad reviews. I'm looking for any kind of testimony from people that have bought one and haven't had any issues. I know that with a manufactured home the cabinetry for instance isn't like the Merillat ones I have in my current home, the plumbing fixtures are cheap...etc.

I'm already planning on replacing cheap vinyl floors for hardwood, replacing plumbing fixtures, even cabinetry a ways down the road if necessary. But what concerns me is, are Clayton Homes so poor in quality that "normal maintenance and general home improvements" a waste of time?

I wouldn't be very thrilled to put $8-$10k in cabinets for a home that has the sub floor crumble and rot away.

It seems like all the reviews I read everyone is complaining about mold, sub floors deteriorating, walls bowing, roofs sagging....etc after a few months or a couple of years down the road.

The appeal is obviously idea of having more SPACE for the dogs and the kids. But I wouldn't want to waste a ton of money on a home that is going to become a hazard. The price range of these homes are very tempting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2015, 10:57 AM

6,629 posts, read 14,129,401 times
Personally, I'd always choose a stick-built home over pre-fab. The initial savings are quickly overcome by depreciation versus appreciation and quality of the product.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:44 AM

I would prefer a stick built home over prefab as well. Just researching options is all. Like I said the price makes them very appealing and if it is a viable option this would give us the opportunity to have a very very small mortgage payment compared to going the stick built route. With the amount that we would put down we would still have enough to pay off other debts and bring our total cost of living down to about 1/4 of what it is now.

We are still quite young and I understand that depreciation would be an issue years down the road but if we could have it paid off in 5 and have NO other debt then we could save to have a custom dream home built and paid in full in 10 years or when the time came.

Our biggest concern is if one of these homes would hold up for 10 years without dumping everything we are saving into keeping it liveable.

Old 08-31-2015, 07:37 AM

223 posts, read 313,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjpoppy View Post
I would prefer a stick built home over prefab as well. Just researching options is all. Like I said the price makes them very appealing and if it is a viable option this would give us the opportunity to have a very very small mortgage payment compared to going the stick built route. With the amount that we would put down we would still have enough to pay off other debts and bring our total cost of living down to about 1/4 of what it is now.

We are still quite young and I understand that depreciation would be an issue years down the road but if we could have it paid off in 5 and have NO other debt then we could save to have a custom dream home built and paid in full in 10 years or when the time came.

Our biggest concern is if one of these homes would hold up for 10 years without dumping everything we are saving into keeping it liveable.
Sounds like you should just stay where you are and make it work and save up towards your dream house. Our house is pretty small and I was looking to move too but figured i'll just hold out and save some more.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:35 PM

Hi Vince. Other than needing more elbow room we want to be closer to family. My in-laws are beginning to show signs of slowing in their age and we want to be closer to give them more time with their grandkids. We've been so far away from them for so long and getting out to see them is so expensive. Watching their children grow up in pictures and a few minutes of Skype once a week is not really quality time or substantial memories we want to give them.

This decision is less about a house and more about a better quality of life and more memories that we can create together as a family. More space to move around for the dogs and the kids and be able to have family come over for dinner is really what we want.

We are genuinely okay with going with a pre-fab home as a short term solution. A more permanent home is the ultimate goal and if we can find the right one that meets all the criteria during our timeline then that would be great and I'm hoping that is what happens. If not then we are considering pre-fab...keep in mind we want plenty of space. I am so tired of being in one of these master planned communities. Never again.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:52 PM

8,846 posts, read 7,638,261 times
JJ

Are you considering the cost of preparing a lot to accept a home?

Old 09-01-2015, 06:20 PM

Hi John, yes we have taken into consideration the cost for lot prep and land itself. From what I understand we could be looking at around $10k if not more depending on the size of the lot, condition, if electricity lines are present, septic, etc, in addition to the cost of the land itself.

We are still researching all options and don't have our hearts set on one or the other yet. It's still way too soon to get too invested in anything that could change in 6 months.

Old 09-02-2015, 12:25 PM

1,826 posts, read 2,057,209 times
There is no appreciation for a manufactured home. So the only equity you will ever build is in the value of the land which will be minimal. Make the investment on a stick built home. Over time, it is the greatest investment you can make.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:38 PM

I fully agree that traditional stick built homes are the smarter investment.

I figured I could see if anyone knew anything about this particular manufacturer for this particular option that we are considering. Yes we will have a substantial down payment but right now the main issue is finding a home within our budget that meets our needs and some wants. We have time but I just figured I would ask.

Old 09-12-2015, 01:14 PM

8,846 posts, read 7,638,261 times
There is a Clayton Dealer near where I live. The homes upfront in the lot look good but what make me question their business practices is they have a lot of used, shabby looking ones on the back of the lot. This says to me quick and dirty financing and later repossession. Am I wrong?

There is an electronic/appliance chain with stores in not nice areas that I am told they are more interested in selling credit then product.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area