Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:08 PM

22 posts, read 72,035 times

Advertisements

Read online that there is a whole foods in Chas. and Greenville but not in Columbia yet. Anyone know if there area any plans to open one in Columbia or is there some other healthy type grocery currently in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 01:00 PM

7,331 posts, read 15,386,950 times
There used to be an Earth Fare on Devine in Shandon. Not 100% sure if it's still there, as I haven't been around there in a year or two. Familiar with Earth Fare? They're Asheville-based and pretty similar to Whole Foods, I'd say.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:01 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,861,813 times
There is an Earth Fare in Columbia. Here is their website:
Earth Fare Home

There is also a Fresh Market in Columbia.

Whole Foods is only in Greenville and Charleston. If you happen to be in Greenville, you can also check out Earth Fare, Fresh Market, Garner's (a local natural foods chain) or Pott's (another local natural food store).

Old 01-30-2008, 03:11 PM

293 posts, read 826,808 times
It's true that there isn't a "Whole Food Market" store in Columbia...there isn't even one in Charlotte [yet but coming soon]. However like stated above there is an Earth Fare on Devine St, There's a Fresh Market on Rosewood...Solar Farms in West Columbia is a great local place not to many know about...then 14 Carrots Whole Food is a local shop on Sunset Blvd in Lexington. Another local shop is Murraywood Health Foods on St. Andrews Rd in Irmo. Let's not forget Nature's Treasure Health Foods in Camden off of Jeff Davis Hwy. Then it's Cormas on Forest Drive...although they focus more on speciality items as to groceries. I'm gonna mention Destinys Organics in Blythewood eventhough they are more of a buyers club and open seasonally. I'm not sure about the Springbranch Store or Healthy Family Foods still being open for business though.

I'm fairly sure their are a few more but I'm not the expert on them...these are just the shops i know of because of a few healthy conscious cousin's of mine having discussions about them over the holiday season.

So in short....you don't have to drive to Greenville to get other natural foods [as the above poster is hinting at]...just remember that the county that Columbia sits in is Richland for a reason. Many local farmer have been very sucessful at the Farmers Market and Open air Markets with produce they farmed via these "Rich"lands in the area.... I hope that helps though!!!!

Old 01-30-2008, 09:02 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Actually "The Fresh Market" is in Trenholm Plaza in Forest Acres. The natural foods store on Rosewood is called Rosewood Market. The Earth Fare is still open and it is located on Devine Street across from Dreher High School.

Old 01-30-2008, 09:18 PM

1,710 posts, read 5,681,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaSouth803 View Post
It's true that there isn't a "Whole Food Market" store in Columbia...there isn't even one in Charlotte [yet but coming soon]. However like stated above there is an Earth Fare on Devine St, There's a Fresh Market on Rosewood...Solar Farms in West Columbia is a great local place not to many know about...then 14 Carrots Whole Food is a local shop on Sunset Blvd in Lexington. Another local shop is Murraywood Health Foods on St. Andrews Rd in Irmo. Let's not forget Nature's Treasure Health Foods in Camden off of Jeff Davis Hwy. Then it's Cormas on Forest Drive...although they focus more on speciality items as to groceries. I'm gonna mention Destinys Organics in Blythewood eventhough they are more of a buyers club and open seasonally. I'm not sure about the Springbranch Store or Healthy Family Foods still being open for business though.

I'm fairly sure their are a few more but I'm not the expert on them...these are just the shops i know of because of a few healthy conscious cousin's of mine having discussions about them over the holiday season.

So in short....you don't have to drive to Greenville to get other natural foods [as the above poster is hinting at]...just remember that the county that Columbia sits in is Richland for a reason. Many local farmer have been very sucessful at the Farmers Market and Open air Markets with produce they farmed via these "Rich"lands in the area.... I hope that helps though!!!!
Are any of these market's near Columbia College?

Old 01-31-2008, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvsdabeach View Post
Are any of these market's near Columbia College?
Both Earth Fare and Rosewood Market are about a 10-15 minute drive from the Columbia College area, depending on traffic. They aren't near like walking or biking distance, but it isn't terribly far.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:42 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,533,449 times
Earth Fare is basically the same as Whole Foods, but not as expensive.

Likewise, Publix has a lot of organic food, without the higher cost of Whole Food.

They have a good array of bread in Rosewood Mkt. The specialty kind is in the refrig - not frozen.

I love Whole Food, but the prices are a bit OTT.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:55 AM

1,710 posts, read 5,681,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Both Earth Fare and Rosewood Market are about a 10-15 minute drive from the Columbia College area, depending on traffic. They aren't near like walking or biking distance, but it isn't terribly far.
Thanks Waccamatt! We are heading up to the college this weekend so I'll check them out.

Nausikaa, I agree with you on Whole Foods. I only pick up the things I can't find at Publix or Walmart...Yes our Walmart has started selling organinc. lol But the meats at Whole Foods are the best. We have a Earth Fare in Charleston, there used to be two but the one in Mt P closed a year or so ago. I did go into the one in Mt P.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:09 AM

IMO, the meat department at the Fresh Market is the best in-town other than specialty grocers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area