U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2015, 09:33 AM

116 posts, read 139,636 times

Advertisements

Hi. My husband and I are in our early 30's with 3 young kids. He is a truck driver while I stay at home with the kids. I'm looking for opinions on areas to look to buy a home. We'd prefer to build new if possible so any recommendations of reputable builders would be appreciated. We recently moved from Buffalo, NY to Jacksonville, FL so my husband could be home more. Unfortunately, he was mislead and that didn't happen. We were planning on building new in FL, but he was presented with a job near Columbia so we might move there if it's worth it.

How are the new home communities and home prices? Our budget is $150-180k for a house. Any amenities offered? Are there CDD/HOA fees? What is the weather like? Any areas to avoid (I heard West Columbia)? What is the vibe like? I was surprised at how welcoming people have been with the move to FL. Although most people we've met are transplants from other areas (a lot of NYer's). Income state and property tax info? Cost of living...car insurance, homeowners, etc.

I know this is a lot of questions. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2015, 06:25 AM

13,820 posts, read 18,779,327 times
I used to live in florida for 18 yrs and I can tell you things including the cost of homes are cheaper here in sc than florida . also your property taxes are much cheaper as well .car insurance is a lil more here and homeowners is cheaper . Income tax is state not county or city so therefore that is cheaper .you will do fine with a budget like that for a house . we just bought our 3 bdr , 2 full bath and 1/4 acre lot home for 100 k in Lexington sc , right outside Columbia sc . I do believe Lexington sc is the best bet for all of you . However that being said a new home can run anywhere from 130 to 200 ,000.00 . I have seen many subdivisions signs with prices . our home is used though and we preferred that . This is one of the nicest areas I have ever lived and people are so down to earth here and will accept you no matter where you are from . make sure you get your house in Lexington 1 school district those are the best school from what I have been told by my realtor she has kids in school . I hope this helps a lil and hope you like it here if you decide to move here . It is really pretty here too .

Old 10-15-2015, 09:45 AM

Thank you for the info. Lexington is mentioned in a lot of other forum posts as well. Does SC have any major issues with homes if buying pre-owned? For example, FL has mold/moisture issues and our apt. has had fire ants everywhere outside and coming in. In Buffalo, we obviously had a lot of snow and road conditions were awful.

Also, I heard you pay a lot for car taxes annually in SC???

Old 10-15-2015, 10:00 AM

199 posts, read 205,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcsn0122 View Post
Thank you for the info. Lexington is mentioned in a lot of other forum posts as well. Does SC have any major issues with homes if buying pre-owned? For example, FL has mold/moisture issues and our apt. has had fire ants everywhere outside and coming in. In Buffalo, we obviously had a lot of snow and road conditions were awful.

Also, I heard you pay a lot for car taxes annually in SC???
Car taxes are done by county. Some counties are going to charge you more then others. I can't speak for Lexington county since I live in Richland so I don't really know how it compares. I'm sure the folks who live in Lexington county can give you a better idea.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:03 PM

We don't have car tax in FL or NY. What's the average? This one is new to me. What about electricity and water bill in SC?

Old 10-15-2015, 12:19 PM

13,820 posts, read 18,779,327 times
electricity bill and water bill are hard to say because some months run more and some less . I believe my husband told me that the county goes by the year of your car . If it is an older car it is pretty cheap A newer model they really snag you on . don't ask me I don't own a new car . well homes usually get inspected before you buy them that way they will find any problems such as the ones you mentioned . fireants are prevalent in florida . I have not seen them very much here in sc .

Old 10-15-2015, 01:53 PM

199 posts, read 205,494 times
phonelady61 hit on it with the water and electric. Some months you'll pay more and some you'll pay less. I just checked my previous years vehicle tax forms and it went down about 20 to 30 dollars a year as my truck gets older.

Old 10-15-2015, 03:41 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,508,551 times
A brand new $45,000 vehicle in Richland County would be taxed around $1100 for the first year, $900 or so in year two, and so on. Richland has higher property taxes than other counties, so Lexington may be less. I live in Richland so I can't speak for LexCo.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:02 PM

Ok. Figures, I have a newer car lol. Anyone have recommendations on new home builders? I've noticed SC doesn't have many large 1 story homes. A realtor told me it's because it's cheaper to build up that out. But, I'm still surprised that they're not really even offered. FL has both ranch type, cape code and 2 story homes as well as NY.

Old 10-15-2015, 05:23 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,508,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcsn0122 View Post
Ok. Figures, I have a newer car lol. Anyone have recommendations on new home builders? I've noticed SC doesn't have many large 1 story homes. A realtor told me it's because it's cheaper to build up that out. But, I'm still surprised that they're not really even offered. FL has both ranch type, cape code and 2 story homes as well as NY.
I've never heard this before. There are definitely neighborhoods with larger ranch-style homes. Maybe look in older neighborhoods? Now that you mention it, most newer neighborhoods feature two story homes, but I'm sure there are some that have one story houses. Are you working with a realtor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or