U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 06:01 AM

975 posts, read 1,899,759 times

Advertisements

Lots of good places to live around LMC. We have friends that work there and live in Quail Hollow subdivision who have about a 5 minute commute. Draw a 20 minute circle around LMC and you have more living options that you can count.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 12:45 PM

36 posts, read 40,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaac View Post
We are originally from the Atlanta area, lived in Columbus, OH for 4 years, and moved to Lexington 4 months ago.....we absolutely LOVE it here! Much better than Atlanta, and doesn't even compare to Ohio. Everyone is friendly, we've made more genuine friends in the 4 months here than we did in 4 years in Ohio. Schools are awesome (my kids attend private school, but the public schools are great too). And I love the small town feel, yet there's plenty to do, shopping, etc. You may hear from some people that traffic is bad here too...don't listen, lol! It's not even a fraction of Atlanta traffic, I assume they've either been here for a really long time, or have always lived here.

You should definitely visit. We knew the first time coming to Lexington, this is where we wanted to live, and never leave! And we could choose absolutely anywhere to move!
Would you mind to list some good private schools in Lexington? I heard Ben Flipen is a good one.

Old 11-11-2015, 12:54 PM

1,710 posts, read 1,508,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldhead View Post
Would you mind to list some good private schools in Lexington? I heard Ben Flipen is a good one.
The most prestigious private schools in the Midlands are in Columbia (Heathwood, Hammond, Cardinal Newman). Lexington has excellent public schools. Not sure about what private schools are there - if any, they would be parochial.

Old 11-11-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
The most prestigious private schools in the Midlands are in Columbia (Heathwood, Hammond, Cardinal Newman). Lexington has excellent public schools. Not sure about what private schools are there - if any, they would be parochial.
Thank you.

Old 11-11-2015, 02:23 PM

8,959 posts, read 7,733,997 times
Bald

The general consensus is Lexington public schools are of a higher quality than most SC schools. Heathwood, Hammond, and Lippen are out the other side of Columbia thus a commute issue.

Old 11-13-2015, 08:49 AM

1,495 posts, read 1,517,511 times
You honestly couldn't ask for a much better place to raise kids than in Columbia Suburbs. Being a mid-sized metro and state capital, it has most if not all the amenties you would get from major city and just enough of a city feel, yet small enough to not have horrible traffic (its not wonderful but nothing like ATL), and negatives that come with a large city.

For kids, endless things to do...EdVenture, Riverbanks Zoo, State House tours, great rec leagues, national parks, Lake Murray, Children's Theaters...and if your son is into Piano check out the Columbia Arts Academy (they have a Lexington location too)...its a music and arts after school program for children its really something else!

Lexington and Irmo have the best schools in the state and some of the best in the nation (Dutch Fork High has been a top 100 HS in the US or something like that for years now), and is really centered around families with kids.

It is not completely cookie-cutter, but is very much a suburban area with a lot of new developments and a lot of new money and both are fairly affluent.

What Atlanta suburb do you currently live in? It would be good to offer a comparison between here and there.

Old 11-13-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
Lexington and Irmo have the best schools in the state and some of the best in the nation (Dutch Fork High has been a top 100 HS in the US or something like that for years now), and is really centered around families with kids.
Do you have any trusted source for school rating? I used this to check the rating of Dutch Fork High School and the result is quite low. Not sure how they rated it but I think good school should have rating above 8.

Dutch Fork High School - Irmo, South carolina - SC - School overview

Old 11-13-2015, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldhead View Post
Do you have any trusted source for school rating? I used this to check the rating of Dutch Fork High School and the result is quite low. Not sure how they rated it but I think good school should have rating above 8.

Dutch Fork High School - Irmo, South carolina - SC - School overview
It was top 1000 not 100 nationally and #6 in the state. It used to be in the top 100 when I was there (10 years ago) but I don't think that was on the same scale they are using here (unless it went way down hill..which it didnt).

I am not too sure about the other rankings you just shared but I can tell you DF along with River Bluff, Lexington, & Chapin are great high schools and all consistently some of the best in the state.

Dutch Fork High School in IRMO, SC | Best High Schools | US News

Old 11-16-2015, 08:24 AM

1,547 posts, read 1,431,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
It was top 1000 not 100 nationally and #6 in the state. It used to be in the top 100 when I was there (10 years ago) but I don't think that was on the same scale they are using here (unless it went way down hill..which it didnt).

I am not too sure about the other rankings you just shared but I can tell you DF along with River Bluff, Lexington, & Chapin are great high schools and all consistently some of the best in the state.

Dutch Fork High School in IRMO, SC | Best High Schools | US News
Funny, I graduated from Dutch Fork in 2006. We may have crossed paths at some point lol

Dutch Fork was very good about hammering home their top status in the 100 ranking, or 1000 ranking... Whichever it was.

Old 11-16-2015, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Funny, I graduated from Dutch Fork in 2006. We may have crossed paths at some point lol

Dutch Fork was very good about hammering home their top status in the 100 ranking, or 1000 ranking... Whichever it was.
Oh wow small world we probably did at some point!

Yeah I will say DF is very proud of itself LOL!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or