Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 08:31 PM

744 posts, read 747,318 times

Advertisements

Is there a gayborhood in Columbia? What would you all rank as the most gay neighborhoods? Looking to move back in-town, but can't decide!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 09:43 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
Earlewood

Old 12-03-2015, 10:23 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Earlewood is number 1, but Keenan Terrace, Cottontown, Elmwood Park, Melrose Heights, Shandon, Rosewood and new Forest Hills are all heavily gay, too.

Old 12-04-2015, 06:44 AM

2,167 posts, read 3,130,907 times
I stumbled across an interesting article about gay life in SC. Columbia (or Richland or Lexington Counties) isn't even in the top 5 counties for gay population density. Jasper, Beaufort, Charleston, Hampton and Horry are the top 5. A bit surprising that other than Charleston, the other larger metro counties aren't there.

Old 12-04-2015, 03:43 PM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times
This report says Bamberg County is in the top five. Why - I have no clue, unless places where people can feel secluded and left alone, like out in the country, are attractive to some gays.

http://wpde.com/features/community-n...each?id=653559

Old 12-04-2015, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iam4USC View Post
I stumbled across an interesting article about gay life in SC. Columbia (or Richland or Lexington Counties) isn't even in the top 5 counties for gay population density. Jasper, Beaufort, Charleston, Hampton and Horry are the top 5. A bit surprising that other than Charleston, the other larger metro counties aren't there.
Those things are very deceptive because those only take into account couples who live together. Columbia has a very young population so many gay people aren't both coupled and living together. Also, very few single gay people would want to live in small towns or the country. Those counties you mentioned all have older populations with lots of retirees. The average age in the City of Columbia is like 28.4 and is also relatively young in Richland County.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:22 PM

Yeah, this thread was not intended to spark a discussion about who has more gay people! I have lived here long enough to know that there is a very robust community similar to that of large cities. The city is very supportive as well. Matt, do you have more info on each neighborhood you could share to aid in my decision. I think Forest Hills is out of my price range! I could maybe get into Shandon, but that area has always struck me as a destination for wealthy young families. I know we don't quite have an area like midtown atlanta, but what do you think would be closest to that?

Old 12-04-2015, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
Yeah, this thread was not intended to spark a discussion about who has more gay people! I have lived here long enough to know that there is a very robust community similar to that of large cities. The city is very supportive as well. Matt, do you have more info on each neighborhood you could share to aid in my decision. I think Forest Hills is out of my price range! I could maybe get into Shandon, but that area has always struck me as a destination for wealthy young families. I know we don't quite have an area like midtown atlanta, but what do you think would be closest to that?
The part of Forest Hills I was referring to is north of Forest Drive and east of Middleburg Mall, not the part you're thinking of. I live in Keenan Terrace and I like it here except I wish there were more restaurants and retail within walking distance. Earlewood is just across Sunset and has the same issues. A lot depends on your budget as Earlewood is more expensive. If you care about going out a lot, most of the gay bars are in the Vista, which isn't far from any of the neighborhoods I listed, for the benefit of anyone unfamiliar with Columbia. The LGBT Center is in Melrose Heights, so that's another plus for that neighborhood. The top benefit of Shandon or Rosewood is walkability to shopping and restaurants.

Old 12-05-2015, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
The part of Forest Hills I was referring to is north of Forest Drive and east of Middleburg Mall, not the part you're thinking of. I live in Keenan Terrace and I like it here except I wish there were more restaurants and retail within walking distance. Earlewood is just across Sunset and has the same issues. A lot depends on your budget as Earlewood is more expensive. If you care about going out a lot, most of the gay bars are in the Vista, which isn't far from any of the neighborhoods I listed, for the benefit of anyone unfamiliar with Columbia. The LGBT Center is in Melrose Heights, so that's another plus for that neighborhood. The top benefit of Shandon or Rosewood is walkability to shopping and restaurants.
Thanks for clarifying the Forest Hills thing. I work near there and always kinda like the homes in that neighborhood. Seems pretty quite, but is close to trader joes, whole foods, and downtown. I don't mind paying for a home, but the other forest hills seems way out of wack!

Old 12-05-2015, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
Thanks for clarifying the Forest Hills thing. I work near there and always kinda like the homes in that neighborhood. Seems pretty quite, but is close to trader joes, whole foods, and downtown. I don't mind paying for a home, but the other forest hills seems way out of wack!
Most definitely!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area