U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 09:02 AM

6,635 posts, read 14,134,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Thanks for all of your comments. I tried to be diplomatic by leaving out something else she said which was "You'll see what I mean. Those people think they are better than everyone. Just look at the last names."

Being from a Jewish family, I really thought that's what she was referring to, which is why I never called her back. I've been on this Earth for a long time and I've heard blatant anti-semitism (not just a subtle hint) many times, so I'm certainly not going to point my finger at SC. Maybe I took what she said the wrong way. However, my gut told me that's what she meant by "look at the last names" but legally couldn't say it.

Nancy,

I am Jewish and while there are several synagogues in the Forest Acres/Arcadia Lakes area, the Jewish population of Forest Acres is not that large; it's bigger than the overall metro, but still only a small percentage of the population. I grew up in Forest Acres so I'm pretty familiar with the area. I'd say there is a much larger Jewish population in the Spring Valley area as evidenced by the JCC's move from the Forest Acres area to the northeast several years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
yes, although there are a few synagogues in that area, I'd be surprised if that's what she was referring to.

Certain areas of Forest Acres have some very nice homes, particularly near the water. I remember that many of the families who had kids at Hammond and Heathwood lived in Forest Acres, as well as members of the Forest Lake CC. If I had to guess, this is what I'd assume she was referring to.
I agree; she was probably referring to some old, moneyed Columbia families (of which I do not qualify .

Old 02-21-2008, 12:31 PM

432 posts, read 1,355,268 times
Default Forest Acres "last names" and the local personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I agree; she was probably referring to some old, moneyed Columbia families (of which I do not qualify .
I'd chime in and also agree that that was my first impression when I read the quote about "last names" (i.e., it was more about the impression about "old money blue bloods" than anything else). That still doesn't excuse her rude behavior - she should not be in the real estate business at all.

My sense is that I think you would be quite comfortable living in Forest Acres. The Columbia/Midlands area only has two synagogues that I am aware of, and they are both along Trenholm Boulevard in the Forest Acres/Arcadia Lakes area. Regardless, Forest Acres is not OVERWHELMINGLY one way or another - there is not a cookie-cutter social mold you absolutely must fit into. I'll describe it again - generally established 40-50 something upper-middle class folks. Yes, it's mostly white but these are moderate-to-moderately conservative professionals, businesspeople, etc. Yes, there are some old-money folks, but they do not dominate the personality of the area (but do anticipate to come across such folks, and their wannabe counterparts - so you might come across some families with kids named "Fripp" who go to local private schools like Heathwood Hall or Hammond, or even the local public HS AC Flora etc.). But we have known young singles and couples and families to live in the area as well, so we know not all of them are "snooty". Forest Acres is not some caricature of "Great Gatsby"-type North Shore blue bloods or an upper-middle-class Long Island/New Jersey stereotype. Drive around the area, step into a few stores/restaurants, and determine for yourself.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:59 PM

Chi2 is right; there is not a singular "Forest Acres" type of person as the residents run the gamut from rich to poor. Overall, though, the average income in Forest Acres would be above the metro average. Now Arcadia Lakes, which is right next to Forest Acres, is (or was at one time) the wealthiest town in South Carolina.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:49 AM

14,269 posts, read 15,856,090 times
Thanks everyone for your replies. Maybe it was a misunderstanding.

Old 02-27-2008, 07:54 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,626,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi2Midlands View Post
(but do anticipate to come across such folks, and their wannabe counterparts - so you might come across some families with kids named "Fripp" who go to local private schools like Heathwood Hall or Hammond, or even the local public HS AC Flora etc.)
LOL

you hit the nail on the head.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:59 AM

Everyone keeps telling me to rent for a while before I buy a home. I've already wasted a lot of money, so I want to just take a chance & settle down, but I was looking online at apartments anyway. I came across a web site called the Landing at Forest Acres and I'm surprised the monthly rates are so low. Is this a nice place?

Old 02-28-2008, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Everyone keeps telling me to rent for a while before I buy a home. I've already wasted a lot of money, so I want to just take a chance & settle down, but I was looking online at apartments anyway. I came across a web site called the Landing at Forest Acres and I'm surprised the monthly rates are so low. Is this a nice place?
I've never heard of it; do you have a link?

Old 02-28-2008, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I've never heard of it; do you have a link?
I didn't realize I could post it. Here it is. Thanks for your opinion.

[url=http://www.landingsatforestacres.com/s/homepage]Find Columbia apartments and homes for rent in South Carolina at Landings at Forest Acres.[/url]

Old 02-28-2008, 07:33 PM

Nancy, I think those apartments used to be called Camelot-in-the-hills, but I'm not certain. If they are the ones I'm thinking of, the neighborhood is old, but fairly nice and the location pretty decent. I don't go through that neighborhood very often, but if I'm in that general vicinity this weekend I'll drive by. If those are the former Camelot Apartments, they have been there for years. A friend of my mom's lived there long before we moved to Columbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or