U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 03:22 AM

14,269 posts, read 15,902,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Nancy, I think those apartments used to be called Camelot-in-the-hills, but I'm not certain. If they are the ones I'm thinking of, the neighborhood is old, but fairly nice and the location pretty decent. I don't go through that neighborhood very often, but if I'm in that general vicinity this weekend I'll drive by. If those are the former Camelot Apartments, they have been there for years. A friend of my mom's lived there long before we moved to Columbia.
Thanks. You're great! I was going to give them a call to find out if I can get a short-term lease. The problem with renting is that I hate to buy furniture when I want to get a home. I am just nervous about finding work and making enough money, especially in this economy. I wonder how many people "just do it" and keep their fingers crossed. The worst that would happen is I'd have to get a housemate to help with bills. Yikes...that might be worse than getting married. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 07:30 PM

2 posts, read 5,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
It is more expensive because it is far more desirable. In my opinion, a lot of the things that make Forest Acres desirable are the subtle (yet very important) things that transplants and newcomers overlook when moving to a new place.

-No (or few) gated neighborhoods and/or neighborhoods with pretentious faux-aristocratic names
-An established tree canopy for shade, birds, and aesthetics
-Close proximity to the Vista, 5 Points, and the CBD
-Close proximity to the University, but not too close
-Great public schools
-Great (sometimes overboard) police force
-Great traffic design and planning (wide, safe thorougfares, people commute in all directions)

Compare this to a hypothetical brand new subdivision in Irmo or Lexington County, where:
-they clear-cut all the trees that take 50-100 years to grow
-the roads weren't designed to handle your subdivision's traffic, or your neighbors', or their neighbors'
-everyone drives the same direction to work & back, which exacerbates traffic problems
-You're close to... what, exactly? Strip malls, big box stores, and more treeless subdivisions?

I'm sure some Lexingtonians or folks from Irmo will step up and give me a verbal lashing, but I'd choose forest acres any day of the week. If this qualifies as "snobbery," then I don't want to be humble
forest acres schools are not good unless you can afford hammond or heathwood. the people are not nice they are more like the people that live in New york. the neighborhoods in forest acres have more crime (both reported and unreported) then i have ever known and the police force is more like Barney Miller. Forest acres is full of snobs and wannabes. as a former resident i know this as true. when you call for help or need assistance you won't get it or it will be slow in coming. the kids raised there are usually snobs and make the other kids feel inferior or bullied.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:26 AM

6,643 posts, read 14,168,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brhace View Post
forest acres schools are not good unless you can afford hammond or heathwood. the people are not nice they are more like the people that live in New york. the neighborhoods in forest acres have more crime (both reported and unreported) then i have ever known and the police force is more like Barney Miller. Forest acres is full of snobs and wannabes. as a former resident i know this as true. when you call for help or need assistance you won't get it or it will be slow in coming. the kids raised there are usually snobs and make the other kids feel inferior or bullied.
Painting with a broad stroke?

Old 02-25-2009, 05:35 AM

2 posts, read 5,091 times
listen if you had read my post i am a former resident i grew up there and it and the people weren't pleasant especially the ones that were grownups at the time....makes you wonder if getting older was worth it?? well it was in my case i treat children with the respect they deserve and don't treat people bad just because they happen to live in my neighborhood. the biggest snobs and child bashers live on the corner of north trenholm and reamer ave and i consider them the neighborhood snobs.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brhace View Post
listen if you had read my post i am a former resident i grew up there and it and the people weren't pleasant especially the ones that were grownups at the time....makes you wonder if getting older was worth it?? well it was in my case i treat children with the respect they deserve and don't treat people bad just because they happen to live in my neighborhood. the biggest snobs and child bashers live on the corner of north trenholm and reamer ave and i consider them the neighborhood snobs.
I grew up in Forest Acres, also, and yes there are some uppity people there, but certainly not the majority.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:23 PM

150 posts, read 389,463 times
Those are the old Camelot in the Hills apartments. I have a relative that lives a few streets over from them on Circle Dr. I stay with her when I visit Columbia. I would probably call the Forest Acres Police Dept. and ask if they have problems in that complex before I would consider moving there. I don't think that it is as decent a location as it used to be.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:40 AM

6,180 posts, read 9,405,231 times
When I was in high school... Forest Acres Police or FAP.... (which we used the an acronym for F*&kin A**whole Police) had a reputation as being a speed trap.. and used to stake out Cardinal Newman and AC Flora to catch high school students who may have been late for class and resulted on speeding through the backroad residential areas to make up time... They were VERY good at their jobs and some of my friends probably have rooms in City Hall named after them for all of their contributions to the City's taxbase for their driving forays through the city. I was stopped one time on my way to a football game at Cardinal Newman with several buddies in the car... you would have thought that we were on an episode of COPS.. Every officer in the city must have ventured by to see what was going on.. One of my friend joked about getting out of the car and running, but as the saying goes.. "we may have been crazy, but we aint fool" since it was simply a traffic violation. Some sergeant would have made captain if that had happened and we may have had to spend the night in a one room cell .Seriously... The City has always had a "tough" reputation when it comes to its approach to crime which has served it well. If I am not mistaken several rough apt complexes along percival were annexed into the City in order to get them cleaned up... which bodes well for the effectiveness of the Police Dept. The city seems to have come a long way since then..(I will retire my use of FAP)

Last edited by Woodlands; 03-03-2009 at 11:01 AM..

Old 03-08-2009, 06:08 PM

39 posts, read 133,730 times
For someone from away hoping to move to Columbia (if the job offer ever comes through) and liking the looks of houses in Forest Acres, can you say what the 'specific street' is that once you cross it, you're in a 'bad area'?

Old 03-08-2009, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmwm View Post
For someone from away hoping to move to Columbia (if the job offer ever comes through) and liking the looks of houses in Forest Acres, can you say what the 'specific street' is that once you cross it, you're in a 'bad area'?
There are no "bad areas" in Forest Acres. Some are not as nice as others (it will be obvious), but there aren't any bad areas.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:59 AM

39 posts, read 133,730 times
Quote:
There are no "bad areas" in Forest Acres. Some are not as nice as others (it will be obvious), but there aren't any bad areas.
Thanks. I had read here previously that some of Forest Acres wasn't so hot and wanted to check it out.

And, we got the job offer in Columbia! And another one from NH/VT. So we have to make some decisions. I appreciate all the help from this forum -- I've been reading many threads over the last couple of months and they have really been useful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or