U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 04:40 PM

6,647 posts, read 14,172,897 times

Advertisements

^ Congratulations on the job offer and good luck in making your decision.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2009, 09:20 PM

55 posts, read 118,038 times
Default Irmo "cleared of trees"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
It is more expensive because it is far more desirable. In my opinion, a lot of the things that make Forest Acres desirable are the subtle (yet very important) things that transplants and newcomers overlook when moving to a new place.

-No (or few) gated neighborhoods and/or neighborhoods with pretentious faux-aristocratic names
-An established tree canopy for shade, birds, and aesthetics
-Close proximity to the Vista, 5 Points, and the CBD
-Close proximity to the University, but not too close
-Great public schools
-Great (sometimes overboard) police force
-Great traffic design and planning (wide, safe thorougfares, people commute in all directions)

Compare this to a hypothetical brand new subdivision in Irmo or Lexington County, where:
-they clear-cut all the trees that take 50-100 years to grow
-the roads weren't designed to handle your subdivision's traffic, or your neighbors', or their neighbors'
-everyone drives the same direction to work & back, which exacerbates traffic problems
-You're close to... what, exactly? Strip malls, big box stores, and more treeless subdivisions?

I'm sure some Lexingtonians or folks from Irmo will step up and give me a verbal lashing, but I'd choose forest acres any day of the week. If this qualifies as "snobbery," then I don't want to be humble
I have to say the only area I've really spent time in in the Columbia area was Irmo, or near there (Country Suites?). I found the trails near the mall, along the roads, and around the lake in Harbison was quite nice, and certainly full of trees. So, I guess there are "nice" areas to be found about anywhere, although I'd prefer to be closer in, as I hear traffic is a bear from that area into Columbia.

Old 03-21-2009, 09:56 PM

6,647 posts, read 14,172,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melskybell View Post
I have to say the only area I've really spent time in in the Columbia area was Irmo, or near there (Country Suites?). I found the trails near the mall, along the roads, and around the lake in Harbison was quite nice, and certainly full of trees. So, I guess there are "nice" areas to be found about anywhere, although I'd prefer to be closer in, as I hear traffic is a bear from that area into Columbia.
Traffic is all relative, lol. I have co-workers that live in Irmo and get downtown during rush hour in about a half hour. The traffic on 26 is the worst in town, but the traffic isn't really that bad in comparison with larger cities.

Old 03-29-2009, 07:50 AM

39 posts, read 133,774 times
Quote:
^ Congratulations on the job offer and good luck in making your decision.
Sadly, the spouse chose the NH job. I do appreciate all the Columbia help here and am sorry I can't make use of it (yet!).

Old 03-30-2009, 12:02 AM

14,269 posts, read 15,908,825 times
Wow, I came back to this forum and saw this thread that I started over a year ago still active. It's hard to believe I'm still in Florida. I feel as if I've been in a dense fog for a long time and need to move forward. I was going to buy a house in SW Florida, since there are so many bank owned properties, but I still want to live further north. I just read that the unemployment rate in SC is the 2nd highest in the nation which frightens me since it's very bad here too, over 12% in Lee County. Everywhere I look there's another store going out of business.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:38 AM

18,176 posts, read 10,143,657 times
What sort of work are you looking for?

Old 03-31-2009, 02:18 AM

14,269 posts, read 15,908,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
What sort of work are you looking for?
Thanks for asking, but it would be difficult to be specific on a board without getting too personal. In general, I've worked in sales and customer service for many years. I also hold an active Life & Health insurance license. One problem I've run into since I moved to FL is the lack of integrity & basic moral principles in the workforce. Maybe it's because I never worked in retail before or competed with others for commission. Although it's always nice to make a lot of money, that wouldn't be my first priority. I'm 58 and would mainly be looking for a pleasant work environment and benefits. Good individual health insurance for someone my age is very expensive and difficult to get.

Old 04-14-2009, 04:19 PM

2 posts, read 4,933 times
Default House in Forest Acres?

Hi ~

On this note, I found a house that I absolutely love in Forest Acres. (Reminder: I'm an incoming grad student at USC). Schools are Bradley, Sanders, Keenan. Though my husband and I won't have school aged kids by the time we leave Columbia, I'm concerned about reselling a house in that area. There are a number of private schools near the house, but I also don't want to lose potential buyers on the sole basis of the public schools.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Old 04-14-2009, 04:55 PM

316 posts, read 869,008 times
Forest Acres typically resales pretty well depending on the home and it's condition. A bad home in good location is still sometimes a tough sell.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:09 AM

324 posts, read 899,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Thanks for all of your comments. I tried to be diplomatic by leaving out something else she said which was "You'll see what I mean. Those people think they are better than everyone. Just look at the last names."

Being from a Jewish family, I really thought that's what she was referring to, which is why I never called her back. I've been on this Earth for a long time and I've heard blatant anti-semitism (not just a subtle hint) many times, so I'm certainly not going to point my finger at SC. Maybe I took what she said the wrong way. However, my gut told me that's what she meant by "look at the last names" but legally couldn't say it.
Stop being so paranoid and overly sensitive. She was obviously talking about "old money." It's common in aristocratic southern towns.

At any rate, we looked in Forest Acres for houses. There are some beautiful ones, unfortunately none of them were for sale! Nice area though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or