U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 11:55 AM

14,269 posts, read 15,902,440 times

Advertisements

Can someone offer an opinion of why Forest Acres is relatively more expensive than other areas. One real estate agent told me it was comparatively "overpriced" and that the people were very snooty. I looked at the Columbia MLS and there are some older brick homes for less than $150,000. I only need a small home and Forest Acres looks pretty to me, with all the trees and older homes. I need lots of trees! As long as a home has been updated and has a newer roof and HVAC, I think it will probably built as well, if not better, than many new homes.

Compared to Lexington and Irmo, the prices do seem a little high and there are few new home in Forest Acres, so I am assuming it's a well established, older community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2008, 12:20 PM

6,643 posts, read 14,168,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Can someone offer an opinion of why Forest Acres is relatively more expensive than other areas. One real estate agent told me it was comparatively "overpriced" and that the people were very snooty. I looked at the Columbia MLS and there are some older brick homes for less than $150,000. I only need a small home and Forest Acres looks pretty to me, with all the trees and older homes. I need lots of trees! As long as a home has been updated and has a newer roof and HVAC, I think it will probably built as well, if not better, than many new homes.

Compared to Lexington and Irmo, the prices do seem a little high and there are few new home in Forest Acres, so I am assuming it's a well established, older community.

I wouldn't call Forest Acres "snooty", but I would say it is a much nicer area than Irmo and Lexington, which are mainly populated by agglomerations of subdivisions. Forest Acres is more like an established town with most neighborhoods connected to one another and old, established trees. Forest Acres is also very close in and more convenient to Five Points and the Vista.

Old 02-12-2008, 01:54 PM

432 posts, read 1,357,976 times
Default Older, established, upper-middle class = more expensive

Quote:

Forest Acres is more expensive because it is an older, established upper-middle class town closer to the city (and thus more convenient to many jobs, shopping, Fort Jackson, etc. - you know, location, location, location). The local public schools are pretty good, too. There are a lot of solid houses of 1950s-1980s vintage, lots of trees, etc. Of course, you will get less square footage for your money compared to newer, further-out areas like Northeast Richland, Irmo, etc., but most people, particularly Forest Acres residents, would say the trade-offs are worth it.

Forest Acres "snooty"? Well, I will admit that I HAVE heard such stories and indeed I have run across some behavior in Forest Acres that could be construed as snooty. The best "spin" I can put on that is that Forest Acres has a somewhat "preppy" if not "old money" vibe to it, and unfortunately there are some individuals that become a bit neurotic in that environment (whether they are "wannabe" preppies/old money or actual ones, who knows, although I have a hunch it's the former). That being said, we know many wonderful, friendly, and fine folks in Forest Acres - on balance it is a very nice place. And as for the "preppy" part - well, there are some who can pull it off because it's who they are, and there are some who are trying to fit a mold they aren't cut out for and become touchy ("snooty"?) about it.

Old 02-13-2008, 10:49 PM

37 posts, read 101,087 times
Forest Acres has lots of older, beautiful homes. But at the meantime, once you across a specific street, it suddenly from paradise to a bad area. If you like personality, character of a home, that is a area to go. But it is hard to find cheaper than $150K. I showed to a client of $120K, it was sold in a month at full price.

But it does exist, you just need to be patient to wait for that price.

Old 02-14-2008, 08:37 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,639,673 times
Quote:

It is more expensive because it is far more desirable. In my opinion, a lot of the things that make Forest Acres desirable are the subtle (yet very important) things that transplants and newcomers overlook when moving to a new place.

-No (or few) gated neighborhoods and/or neighborhoods with pretentious faux-aristocratic names
-An established tree canopy for shade, birds, and aesthetics
-Close proximity to the Vista, 5 Points, and the CBD
-Close proximity to the University, but not too close
-Great public schools
-Great (sometimes overboard) police force
-Great traffic design and planning (wide, safe thorougfares, people commute in all directions)

Compare this to a hypothetical brand new subdivision in Irmo or Lexington County, where:
-they clear-cut all the trees that take 50-100 years to grow
-the roads weren't designed to handle your subdivision's traffic, or your neighbors', or their neighbors'
-everyone drives the same direction to work & back, which exacerbates traffic problems
-You're close to... what, exactly? Strip malls, big box stores, and more treeless subdivisions?

I'm sure some Lexingtonians or folks from Irmo will step up and give me a verbal lashing, but I'd choose forest acres any day of the week. If this qualifies as "snobbery," then I don't want to be humble

Last edited by anonymous; 02-14-2008 at 08:53 AM..

Old 02-14-2008, 09:25 AM

432 posts, read 1,357,976 times
Default There are always trade-offs, and there's something for everyone

Yes, Forest Acres does have many charms and unique characteristics vs. the newer subdivisions in the outer 'burbs. My wife and I really did consider Forest Acres at one point. For me, personally, I could have lived with a smaller house for the same price of a larger home. My wife was more attracted to the newer houses and new construction (she wanted a clean-slate design exactly to her liking). Also, there are many families, particularly ones with younger children, who may find the newer neighborhoods more desirable, not only for more square footage per dollar, but also there are more younger families in those areas, too. While Forest Acres is a wonderful community, the median age is considerably higher (closer to 45-50) than your newer neighborhoods in NE Richland, Irmo, etc. (closer to 35-40). Something for everyone - and I'm thankful that a relatively small metro like Columbia has that. I would hate to have a limited range of options (i.e., it's good to have more than just inner-city vs. gated McMansion-villes).

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonymous View Post
It is more expensive because it is far more desirable. In my opinion, a lot of the things that make Forest Acres desirable are the subtle (yet very important) things that transplants and newcomers overlook when moving to a new place.

-No (or few) gated neighborhoods and/or neighborhoods with pretentious faux-aristocratic names
-An established tree canopy for shade, birds, and aesthetics
-Close proximity to the Vista, 5 Points, and the CBD
-Close proximity to the University, but not too close
-Great public schools
-Great (sometimes overboard) police force
-Great traffic design and planning (wide, safe thorougfares, people commute in all directions)

Compare this to a hypothetical brand new subdivision in Irmo or Lexington County, where:
-they clear-cut all the trees that take 50-100 years to grow
-the roads weren't designed to handle your subdivision's traffic, or your neighbors', or their neighbors'
-everyone drives the same direction to work & back, which exacerbates traffic problems
-You're close to... what, exactly? Strip malls, big box stores, and more treeless subdivisions?

I'm sure some Lexingtonians or folks from Irmo will step up and give me a verbal lashing, but I'd choose forest acres any day of the week. If this qualifies as "snobbery," then I don't want to be humble

Old 02-15-2008, 01:06 PM

9,080 posts, read 18,073,874 times
What's overpriced? A property or neighborhood value is determined by how much a buyer is willing to pay. Buyers have over the years decided that is what they will pay for the location. The value is consistent, so again, what is "comparatively overpriced?"

The "snooty" comment is pretty baseless too. It's broad brushing an area, with something that isn't true to boot. Did you ask her to justify that?

Both comments sound like something that a new agent, agent that doesn't know the whole market, or part time agent would say.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:14 PM

14,269 posts, read 15,902,440 times
Thanks for all of your comments. I tried to be diplomatic by leaving out something else she said which was "You'll see what I mean. Those people think they are better than everyone. Just look at the last names."

Being from a Jewish family, I really thought that's what she was referring to, which is why I never called her back. I've been on this Earth for a long time and I've heard blatant anti-semitism (not just a subtle hint) many times, so I'm certainly not going to point my finger at SC. Maybe I took what she said the wrong way. However, my gut told me that's what she meant by "look at the last names" but legally couldn't say it.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:52 PM

9,080 posts, read 18,073,874 times
I don't think it has anything to do with Jews. I'm honestly not sure what she was getting at, but some of my nicest clients have come from or moved into the Forest Acres area. Great location, nice homes and neighborhoods, nice people. Forest Acres remains a very consistent area and it's popular for a reason.

Old 02-21-2008, 06:12 AM

2,356 posts, read 2,639,673 times
Quote:
Thanks for all of your comments. I tried to be diplomatic by leaving out something else she said which was "You'll see what I mean. Those people think they are better than everyone. Just look at the last names."

Being from a Jewish family, I really thought that's what she was referring to, which is why I never called her back. I've been on this Earth for a long time and I've heard blatant anti-semitism (not just a subtle hint) many times, so I'm certainly not going to point my finger at SC. Maybe I took what she said the wrong way. However, my gut told me that's what she meant by "look at the last names" but legally couldn't say it.
yes, although there are a few synagogues in that area, I'd be surprised if that's what she was referring to.

Certain areas of Forest Acres have some very nice homes, particularly near the water. I remember that many of the families who had kids at Hammond and Heathwood lived in Forest Acres, as well as members of the Forest Lake CC. If I had to guess, this is what I'd assume she was referring to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or