Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2008, 08:41 PM

80 posts, read 326,655 times

Advertisements

I would like to move to the Carolinas for the great warm weather. I was originally looking in North Carolina near Raleigh, but did not feel too safe being so close to the big nuclear plant near Apex. I know there are some in South Carolina too----one near Fort Mill. Is there one near Columbia as well? I realize these are important to meet energy needs, but I would like to keep my distance if possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2008, 12:31 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxxy View Post
I would like to move to the Carolinas for the great warm weather. I was originally looking in North Carolina near Raleigh, but did not feel too safe being so close to the big nuclear plant near Apex. I know there are some in South Carolina too----one near Fort Mill. Is there one near Columbia as well? I realize these are important to meet energy needs, but I would like to keep my distance if possible.
There is one in Jenkinsville, which is probably about 35 miles north of downtown Columbia in Fairfield County. After that, the Savannah River Plant would be the closest, but that's probably 60 miles away.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:36 PM

293 posts, read 826,808 times
Roxxy....let me see if i remember my nuclear info..... First things first...it's so many safety test and checks so frequently in nuclear plants that it's very unlikely to have a meltdown now a days. Unlike with Chernobyl...all U.S. plants are required to have containment building [a steel reinforced air-tight structure designed to trap all containments during a meltdown] But i can understand the fear and your reason for wanting to be away from them...the plant you are thinking of in Apex is Shearon-Harris and it is a pretty large plant and is fairly close to Raleigh. That place has had a few fires and stuff but nothing nuclear related...One thing you don't have to worry about from a nuclear plant is "nuclear explosions" like a bomb...the make up of nuclear energy doesn't allow for it to explode.

Their are 4 Nuclear plants in SC....1 in Seneca [near Greenville], 1 in York [near Ft. Mill/Rock Hill/Charlotte], 1 in Hartsville and 1 in Jenkinsville near Columbia

So with that said...The closest nuclear reactor to Columbia is a county over in Fairfield county via Jenkinsville, SC. This plant isn't close to the city as the one in Apex is to the Triangle area, but it's still roughly 30 or so miles away but the funny thing is...not to many people know that plant exist because it's so out of sight and in a rural setting on the Monticello reservoir. The plant is called V.C. Summer and it currently only puts about 15% [3rd out of the 4 plants] of the states nuclear energy and only has 1 reactor. I can't say if they ever got approved for their 2nd reactor or not, but with nuclear plants...they always want to expand. But trust me when i say that you have nothing to fear....each worker can't even leave the plant if they or their closes are contaminated...so don't let nuclear plants close by dictate your decision... best wishes....

Old 02-10-2008, 02:46 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Wink I don't glow in the dark...

and I worked in a nuclear Shipyard for many years. Seriously, the previous poster is correct, don't worry about nuclear. What you MIGHT want to worry about is the humongous coal-fired plant that Santee-Cooper wants to buiild in Florence County. You can count on lots of carbon dioxide and mercury being expelled into the air from it unless they spend big bucks on polltion control. I'm personally against building more nuclear plants but only because of the enormous expense required for safety and disposing of those darn fuel rods, not because I would worry about living near one. Good luck with your move!Please let us know where you end up.

Old 02-10-2008, 05:56 PM

80 posts, read 326,655 times
Thanks for the replies. That does put me more at ease. I'm looking forward to visiting the Carolinas. Everyone on this forum has been so helpful.

Old 02-10-2008, 06:16 PM

293 posts, read 826,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
and I worked in a nuclear Shipyard for many years. Seriously, the previous poster is correct, don't worry about nuclear. What you MIGHT want to worry about is the humongous coal-fired plant that Santee-Cooper wants to buiild in Florence County. You can count on lots of carbon dioxide and mercury being expelled into the air from it unless they spend big bucks on polltion control. I'm personally against building more nuclear plants but only because of the enormous expense required for safety and disposing of those darn fuel rods, not because I would worry about living near one. Good luck with your move!Please let us know where you end up.
Eureka....i use to work at Westinghouse [only briefly b/c i moved] in Columbia in the area inspecting, separating and checking fuel pellets for the fuel rods. I use to handle fuel rods too...just carrying them around to other parts of the plant....and i remember something about the rods being expensive to dispose of....lol..

Old 02-11-2008, 07:31 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,745,974 times
Default Letting sleeping rods lie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaSouth803 View Post
Eureka....i use to work at Westinghouse [only briefly b/c i moved] in Columbia in the area inspecting, separating and checking fuel pellets for the fuel rods. I use to handle fuel rods too...just carrying them around to other parts of the plant....and i remember something about the rods being expensive to dispose of....lol..
Carolina, we have a number of rods IN EUREKA that have been sitting in a concrete tank for 20 years because since our nuke plant was decomissioned (they built it on a fault line) no one has come up with an acceptable way of transporting them. They'll probably be there forever.

Old 01-12-2010, 11:59 AM

1 posts, read 4,267 times
I was driving down from greenville,sc on interstate 26 and passed a semitruck hauling nuclear wast heading to wards columbia,sc. were was it going ? and what about the big dump site over on the savannah river ? I all so saw on tv. while i was in san diego,calif. other states would be sending there wast there also. so whats up with all that wast coming to south carolina ????
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area