U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 11:23 PM

43 posts, read 150,246 times

Advertisements

I am relocating from Southern California to Columbia, still having a hard time adjusting to the thought of moving to SC from SC, hehe LOL

Anyhow, I need to be within 15-20 minutes from CAE Airport as I am a Commercial Pilot, therefore knowing my wife and kids are safe while I'm away would be a great feeling. Also, I have been to CAE at least five times and recently to watch my 2nd oldest Son graduate from Ft. Jackson, so Columbia is very special to me in a sort of way...

Thank you all for being so kind in sharing

Sincerely,

Your Neighbor Richard
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 02:07 PM

16 posts, read 78,566 times
Default where to move in Columbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by eegm View Post
My family is looking to relocate to the Columbia South Carolina Area. I have two children so schools are my most important criteria. My husband is interested in having a least one to two acres of land. Can anyone point me in the right direction I am not all that familiar with the area and trying to determine where to go is difficult when you do not live there. Thanks so much.
I can tell you that if you choose Lake Carolina as your new home you will not be disappointed. I do not know the ages of your children, but I will tell you that within Lake Carolina, there is Lake Carolina Elementary School and Kelly Mill Middle School. Lk. Carolina Elem. is an award winning school and just great! Both schools are under 10 years old. The housing in Lake Carolina ranges from modest, moderate to up to 3 milliion! This is a community of neighborhoods and are just fabulous. It has been named best neighborhood in Columbia for the past 8 years. The landscaping is beautiful and there is a town center. For 9 months out of the year, once a week there is a Farmer's market on the square. There are all kinds of activiites - Oh! And a new YMCA at Lk. Carolina! The homes are lovely, the schools are very, very good and it is clean, safe, beautiful and wonderful. We have leased a home here for 1 1/2 years and it has all been good. There is security here that covers the neighborhoods. A number of weeks ago, we had quite a storm that downed big limbs and some trees. The next day, it was being cleared and trees were removed that had been downed by the storm. There are all kinds of events. There are restaurants, doctors and even a children's theatre and dance studio at Town Center! There is a wine shop, a salon, print shop... it just goes on and on! Tons of families and of course kids! Many walk, bike and scooter to and from school on the exta wide walkways to the school. Lots of moms and dads walk with their kids to school. Crossing guard provided of course! It is like it used to be...go to school and walk or ride the bus to school in your neighborhood! It is over 3 miles wide from one end of the community to the other. We are about 6 or 7 minutes from The Village at Sandhills - a large, new, multi purpose shopping center. Incidentally, it is one of a small number of multi use shoppping complexes in a international competition! Just google Village at Sandhills and you'll see what I mean. Anyway, it is great at the Lake!

Last edited by waccamatt; 08-18-2008 at 05:16 PM.. Reason: Advertising is not allowed

Old 04-15-2008, 05:31 PM

6,629 posts, read 14,130,958 times
Lake Carolina is quite a distance from the airport. It is a very popular area, but it would probably be a 35-40 minute drive from the airport and worse if there is a lot of traffic.

Old 04-16-2008, 10:33 AM

432 posts, read 1,354,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Lake Carolina is quite a distance from the airport. It is a very popular area, but it would probably be a 35-40 minute drive from the airport and worse if there is a lot of traffic.
Waccamatt's right - I live in Lake Carolina and am familiar with the drive to Columbia Metropolitan Airport - my typical travel times to the airport are in line with what he says - and closer to 45-50 minutes in traffic. Lake Carolina and many parts of Northeast Richland County are only about 75 minutes from Charlotte's airport, and with the often lower advance-purchase fares there, leisure/family travelers usually drive there to fly out instead of Columbia.

If you're a pilot who's working out of Columbia Metro (CAE), or otherwise needs to be close to CAE, then I would recommend looking in the West Columbia/Cayce/Springdale/Lexington areas (i.e., the most desirable Lexington County areas near CAE). If by chance you like a Lake Carolina-like master planned development, the same developer of Lake Carolina does have smaller subdivisions on the Lexington County side of town - for example there's a subdivision called Lake Frances about 3 miles southwest of CAE.

Old 08-18-2008, 03:10 AM

9 posts, read 27,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi2Midlands View Post
Waccamatt's right - I live in Lake Carolina ........... for example there's a subdivision called Lake Frances about 3 miles southwest of CAE.
I live in Lake Frances, Churchill Park and I work in Columbia. I drive by CAE every day.

Dave

Old 08-19-2008, 09:15 AM

39 posts, read 107,441 times
If anyone could help me with another school question I'd really appreciate it. We may be moving to the area. My husband had a job interview today and we will really have to make a decsion without the time to do alot of research on the area. Can anyone tell me which Lexington high schools offer orchestra? My daughter plays viola, and it's been a pretty bad year, so I don't want her to lose that because we made a wrong choice. Thanks for your help!
I'm looking up the high schools, not all of them have curriculum guides on their sites.

Old 08-29-2008, 11:13 AM

3 posts, read 5,123 times
I have three kids and live in Lexington. Schools are great. Commute downtown would be good too. You could get a new house for under $200,000 in Lexington with 4 bedrooms.

Last edited by lakemomof3; 08-29-2008 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: mis-spelled a word

Old 04-14-2009, 05:26 PM

10 posts, read 14,262 times
I have three kids as well. We live in NE Cola and they go to Bookman Rd. Elem. and CFI magnet. I love them both. We live near the Village of Sandhills and any other amenity you could think of. Our house sits on over 1/2 acre with a wooded lot in the back and a cul-de-sac for the kids in the front. Our neighborhood is a nice mix of families, both young and old. Many are here since the development was built almost 15 years ago! The Lansdowne community has a pool, tennis courts and basketball court. Homes in the subdivision range. We actually are moving ourselves, we have been transfered north (DC) and I'm trying to get over the shock of having to leave! Our house is perfect for kids. 3+ bed, 2.5 bath. plus it is on the market right now! Good luck with your move! We have loved the NE area!

Old 04-15-2009, 06:14 PM

20 posts, read 77,933 times
hi everyone, im also from north jersey looking to move to sc.- lexington, wherer my sisters live. i was looking at a development shadowbrooke (the original section) can anyone tell me about that development or area? in terms of safety, breakins, etc. i had actually started originally looking into florida until i saw the crime reports....yikes. can anyone enlighten me? my sisters just arent helpful in this matter........................................
thanks
msatxaclli
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area