Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 03:04 PM

2 posts, read 11,816 times

Advertisements

I lived in a Mungo Home for 3-1/2 years. Mungo's warranty department never came to my home. There was no reason. It was a quality built home. I would certainly recommend Mungo Homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2010, 02:24 PM

5 posts, read 37,806 times
Yes dont buy one i will never buy a mungo home ever again my recent purchase in 2008 was a nightmare

Old 09-21-2010, 06:33 PM

18 posts, read 75,720 times
Some would say that the Home Warranty is worse than no warranty at all. You will have to ask your attorney for a better explanation, but the post above gives a pretty good idea of at least part of the explanation. Almost all new home builders use the Home Warranty. Think: Do they offer that because it helps YOU or because it helps THEM? Why did the homeowners have to sue if they had Home Warranties?

Old 09-21-2010, 06:37 PM

18 posts, read 75,720 times
I will only add this: Read the Home Warranty you are offered very, very closely and carefully. Most have a comprehensive list of exclusions from coverage. The Devil is ALWAYS in the details.

And, just TRY this: Ask how much they will knock off the price if you waive the Home Warranty. THAT will lead to a very interesting discussion.

Old 04-06-2011, 10:31 AM

Realtors will tell you that they are wonderful builder because they want to sell you a house and what a great chance you will buy one especially if you’re a first time home buyer who knows nothing about buying a home like myself. Mungo Homes are everywhere and have a low appealing price, great floor plans, but there is a reason to all this great hype. Realtors are pampered by Mungo with prizes, catered food, etc. kind of like doctors are catered by drug reps to sale their drugs. Also, the media is paid big bucks for ads as well as the local governments for the million permits, donations, perks, etc. so if you were to make a complaint automatically you will have no one on your side. I bought my Mungo Home in 2008 and it was a nightmare. Lot drainage problems, cracking foundation, HVAC unit to small to cool the house, nail pops, poor shingle installation, unlevel slab/foundation to name a few, of course all these small issues go unnoticed until the warranty expires. Everything is built as cheap as possible to get as much profit as possible. Not to mention the walls are thin and you will hear your neighbors. This was my first time buying a home and I learned all the wonderful tricks that I fell victim too. Please do yourself a favor don’t buy a Mungo Home. If you do get one make sure you have a excellent home inspector(not the one they recommend), your own lawyer (not the one they recommend), and your own lender(not the one they recommend). Yes I was stupid when I got sucked into getting this home but not next time. Thanks Mungo now I have to try and sell it.
[SIZE=2][/SIZE]

Old 04-06-2011, 03:16 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,980,652 times
dman, sorry you had a bad experience. I hope you contacted their customer service department because you have a 10 year structural warranty on a Mungo home. I hope you had a buyer agent represent you. If so call your agent also. If not, this can be a good example to buyers on why they should hire a good agent. Buyers should also get a good home inspector. If you had done that someone should have caught the HVAC unit, the roof installation, the slab and grading issues. I'm curious, did you have an agent and an inspector and if so where are they at now?

The lender has nothing to do with the quality of the home, and the attorney has limited representation to the parties in the transaction so if you ever get sideways with the builder they likely can't represent you in a lawsuit anyway. No builder recommends any particular inspector.

As far as incentives most of the other builders do the same thing so it's not like Mungo gives agents more than they do or special incentives over other homes. What I'm trying to say is there is no benefit for me to sell a Mungo home over an Essex, or DR Horton, or any other builder. I just didn't want the public thinking they are being mislead over money.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:22 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
dman, sorry you had a bad experience. I hope you contacted their customer service department because you have a 10 year structural warranty on a Mungo home. I hope you had a buyer agent represent you. If so call your agent also. If not, this can be a good example to buyers on why they should hire a good agent. Buyers should also get a good home inspector. If you had done that someone should have caught the HVAC unit, the roof installation, the slab and grading issues. I'm curious, did you have an agent and an inspector and if so where are they at now?

The lender has nothing to do with the quality of the home, and the attorney has limited representation to the parties in the transaction so if you ever get sideways with the builder they likely can't represent you in a lawsuit anyway. No builder recommends any particular inspector.

As far as incentives most of the other builders do the same thing so it's not like Mungo gives agents more than they do or special incentives over other homes. What I'm trying to say is there is no benefit for me to sell a Mungo home over an Essex, or DR Horton, or any other builder. I just didn't want the public thinking they are being mislead over money.

A realtor misleading people over money.....wow.....never heard of that before.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:14 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,980,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
A realtor misleading people over money.....wow.....never heard of that before.
Did you even actually read my post? I make the same whether I help someone by a Mungo home, Essex, resale, a foreclosure, whatever. Doesn't make any difference what my client buys so long as they are happy.

As for your actual post, every field has their good and bad professionals. Real estate is no different. And the poster never actually stated if they were represented or not by an agent, but it sounds as if they were not.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:50 AM

343 posts, read 1,045,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newmom2B_08 View Post
I know this is almost a year later in the thread, but we are looking for a house and I just read some negatives comments about MUNGO...are those true?? Tomorrow we have to take a decisition about one of their houses...For me, to first sight looks good...but I don't know...please someone give some advice... (0_o)

The stamped-out "pod houses" always do look good at first. Then you start to take a closer look at the craftsmanship and materials used and you realize they are just slapped together junk. This isn't just "Mungo," it's pretty much all companies who build this subdivisions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnolia256 View Post
Both my husband and myself have become very knowledgeable about homes and the home buying process because of all of this...we are now looking to trade up and we are currently working with a custom home builder to build our next home.
This is basically the only way to go. If you want quality materials and all that, you have to have a hand in it yourself. Of course, that comes with a hefty price tag.

Old 06-29-2011, 02:28 PM

My agent was a Mungo sales agent, who told me i really didn't need a home inspector since it was a new home plus it was being inspected by mungo and state inspectors anyway. Yes i was very stupid. Warranty department was contacted they said cracks in the foundation was considered normal, they said HVAC system was working fine and met the lowest standards to heat and cool the house even if it runs all day. They came up with every excuse to do nothing about my problems. 10 Year structural only covers if the structure falls down or has cracks larger than 3/4 inch. Grading issues i fixed myself which they said they cant do anything about. Just a bunch of issues that i dont want to deal with again. If i had to do it all over again it wouldn't be a mungo home, i would have an inspector, my own independent agent and my own closing lawyer. The lender was another story i don't feel like getting into, yes i know mungo had nothing to do with the lender but it added to the wonderful experience i had. Brandon thanks for your interest and knowledge on this topic, we all know your in this line of work and i hope none of your clients had to go through the warranty issues i had to go through with MUNGO. And yes this is a good example to hire a great agent that is not blinded by the perks they offer and who is not on any side but the buyers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area