Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 11:17 AM

2,132 posts, read 2,274,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinagarnet View Post
Right, I was asking for an update on the progress of the cap if anyone happened to know anything.
Ohh, I see. I really don't know if they've started anything. I know they've received public backlash and maybe that's stalled it. I'm sure if there's construction on it then it's visible. Does anyone that frequents the river know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 03:22 PM

8,239 posts, read 13,360,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaClemsonFan11 View Post
9 out of 10 times I tell someone in Greenville that I am originally from Columbia I hear "oh, I'm sorry." I feel like I could tell people I'm from Baghdad and get a more positive reaction and I honestly don't understand it at all. Sure there is the state rivalry thing whether its Clemson vs USC or just city vs city but there are sooo many worse off cities than Columbia to hate on and I don't understand why that happens so often up here.
I think its all about perception.. and their perception of Columbia is that there is a lot of crime. Columbia is a larger city, has quite a few colleges/university, a military base and I would venture to guess may have more poverty again due to size and economic structure. All of these items are mixed together create the opportunity for...well ... CRIME. The central city and many of the main roads leading into the downtown area go through a variety of neighborhoods.. some nice.. some not so nice.. I don't think there is anything unique about Columbia's situation from a national perspective.. All large and medium cities have challenges.. but in the SC context ...Columbia is the "big city" in the state which brings both positive and negative images for sandlappers and the preference in SC is "small town/small city". Columbia has been focused on becoming a "medium" sized city.. which doesn't fit that mold or the psyche of many in SC. The other issue that is downplayed but I think is very relevant is that Columbia is also the Capital of the State.. That alone brings up thoughts of taxes, inequity-take from my area and give to 'columbia' even though the City may not be the actual recipient of those state tax dollars, politics, and the big G word.. Government.. which is often the arch enemy of many in SC.

I worked for a small city in SC...Any time a General Assembly issue came up.. the comment from the town officials was.. "We don't need anybody in Columbia telling us what we can and cant do with our money!!!!" Sure he meant the State.. but simply summarizing it as "Columbia" brought scowls, howls and nods of agreement. Full disclosure.. the same can be said for "Washington" and many other Cap Cities.... which has nothing to do with the city itself only the institution the name represents....

Old 08-01-2017, 04:04 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I think its all about perception.. and their perception of Columbia is that there is a lot of crime. Columbia is a larger city, has quite a few colleges/university, a military base and I would venture to guess may have more poverty again due to size and economic structure. All of these items are mixed together create the opportunity for...well ... CRIME. The central city and many of the main roads leading into the downtown area go through a variety of neighborhoods.. some nice.. some not so nice.. I don't think there is anything unique about Columbia's situation from a national perspective.. All large and medium cities have challenges.. but in the SC context ...Columbia is the "big city" in the state which brings both positive and negative images for sandlappers and the preference in SC is "small town/small city". Columbia has been focused on becoming a "medium" sized city.. which doesn't fit that mold or the psyche of many in SC. The other issue that is downplayed but I think is very relevant is that Columbia is also the Capital of the State.. That alone brings up thoughts of taxes, inequity-take from my area and give to 'columbia' even though the City may not be the actual recipient of those state tax dollars, politics, and the big G word.. Government.. which is often the arch enemy of many in SC.

I worked for a small city in SC...Any time a General Assembly issue came up.. the comment from the town officials was.. "We don't need anybody in Columbia telling us what we can and cant do with our money!!!!" Sure he meant the State.. but simply summarizing it as "Columbia" brought scowls, howls and nods of agreement. Full disclosure.. the same can be said for "Washington" and many other Cap Cities.... which has nothing to do with the city itself only the institution the name represents....
The thing is the biggest 3 are actually similar in size. I've never thought of Columbia as the "big city" in SC. Just the capital.

Old 08-01-2017, 04:34 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
As it has often been said, Columbia tends to have a better reputation outside of SC than inside.

Old 08-01-2017, 08:06 PM

6,476 posts, read 6,448,365 times
I don't know why Columbia is looked at the way it is. I have a friend from Tennessee who didn't have that nice of things to say about Columbia, but thing is I don't know if she's ever actually spent time there.

But then again I've had friends from in and out of state who bolted out of Charleston and Greenville for Columbia.

I don't know where people get their views of Columbia. I myself used to not think so highly, but I was a kid and it just seemed boring. I would've chose Myrtle Beach instead because it "more fun stuff." Now I see Cola in a better light.

Old 08-05-2017, 09:53 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,402,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
The thing is the biggest 3 are actually similar in size. I've never thought of Columbia as the "big city" in SC. Just the capital.
Also, the preference in SC is for the more populated areas, not for small towns, going by where most people live. Most of the state population lives in the more populated areas.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 08-05-2017 at 10:04 AM..

Old 11-15-2017, 07:57 PM

15 posts, read 11,951 times
Columbia has a MUCH Better Skyline than Greenville by any objective measure. More and taller buidings plus better architecture. Greenville has a more walkable downtown and more people out walking around. Both seem to be doing well and getting better. I do think Columbia feels larger and i know its not as crazy conservative. Both are growing and changing for the better.

Old 11-15-2017, 11:32 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,274,047 times
If you want to be objective, I think it’s safe to say that Columbia does have a better skyline when it comes to height. When it comes to density, I think it’s fair to say Greenville edges Columbia. Columbia’s skyline is sprawled out. If you think about the Bank of America building all the way near Elmwood avenue and the Bates towers for USC at the south end of the city; that covers a fairly large distance.

Old 11-16-2017, 04:02 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,323,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gvanceatl View Post
Columbia has a MUCH Better Skyline than Greenville by any objective measure. More and taller buidings plus better architecture. Greenville has a more walkable downtown and more people out walking around. Both seem to be doing well and getting better. I do think Columbia feels larger and i know its not as crazy conservative. Both are growing and changing for the better.
I don't find Greenville to be this stereotypical crazy conservative. I'm of color, non religious, and have mixed children. Never had an issue. I love what's going on up here. Much better skyline is subjective. It's a slightly taller skyline, but nothing that I'm really wowed about. More cranes in Greenville currently from construction and it's growing a little faster.

Old 11-17-2017, 12:13 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
I think you just have to see who they vote for to see how many far right conservatives are in the Greenville area. Columbia is much more liberal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area