Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2016, 06:38 PM

513 posts, read 576,083 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonofaque86 View Post
Columbia city officials approve design plans for proposed 15-sto - wistv.com - Columbia, South Carolina

The Edge got approval and they should start next spring....what ever happened to the proposed 29 story tower?
This won't win any design awards in my opinion. While it's not a shoebox (it does have the "U" shape) it is otherwise very boxy with a flat roof-line. It actually looks a lot like the kind of stuff that gets built in Greenville (only a little taller). I am just not a fan of this type of architecture. While I am sure it is cheaper to build, it just does not have much imagination or character. Greenville designers are masters at this. Good height though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 09:36 PM

25 posts, read 43,560 times
I went to emporis Columbia, that's where I got my guesstimation for a 15 story building from,......the Sheraton hotel 😉

Old 08-12-2016, 09:47 PM

5,487 posts, read 8,318,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
Don't know for sure, but I don't think it will be nearly that height. It is 12 stories, but for residential it is usually little more than 10 feet per floor. Even if it is 12 ft/floor it would only be 144 ft. The footprint of the building is very long. As I mentioned before I would have liked it to be half as long and twice as tall. This would have given us a true addition to the skyline while also leaving room for further density on the site. But you know how we go out instead of up...

In the site plan, there is supposed to be an office or mixed use building that looks like it could be a little taller, but I don't think we have any concrete plans on that one yet.
Isn't the tallest building at One 170ft? I think it's supposed to be a little taller than One.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:49 PM

159 posts, read 125,133 times
A12 story residential/hotel building will be in the 150' range.

Old 08-12-2016, 09:54 PM

5,487 posts, read 8,318,595 times
172 actually. But that's counting the elevator area.
One North Tower, Greenville | 1217931 | EMPORIS

Old 08-12-2016, 10:00 PM

159 posts, read 125,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSMRE View Post
172 actually. But that's counting the elevator area.
One North Tower, Greenville | 1217931 | EMPORIS
You can't compare office heights with residential/hotel. Unless the developer is trying to make a statement with above average floor heights......doubtful considering this project is marginal financially, 12 floors will not exceed 170'.

Old 08-13-2016, 01:38 AM

2,130 posts, read 2,271,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by distortedlogic View Post
This won't win any design awards in my opinion. While it's not a shoebox (it does have the "U" shape) it is otherwise very boxy with a flat roof-line. It actually looks a lot like the kind of stuff that gets built in Greenville (only a little taller). I am just not a fan of this type of architecture. While I am sure it is cheaper to build, it just does not have much imagination or character. Greenville designers are masters at this. Good height though!
I'm not an architect and I know very little about it, even in the simplest of forms, but I agree with you. Greenville seems to be the master at making 10 story buildings "sexy". At the least, I'm hoping that the colors and window design will have some sort of pizaz to it, since the shape of the building isn't all that. This building at the most will blend in with the rest of the skyline, creating density and hopefully framing a much taller building one day across the street.

Old 08-13-2016, 06:02 AM

12,889 posts, read 18,744,346 times
The Edge's renderings look like a hospital.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:27 AM

293 posts, read 826,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlestondata View Post
The Edge's renderings look like a hospital.
I was thinking the same thing! It looks like a mental hospital...aka "The Edge" of insanity

Old 08-13-2016, 12:33 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,030,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaSouth803 View Post
I was thinking the same thing! It looks like a mental hospital...aka "The Edge" of insanity
It's not Haussmann's Paris, but it's decidedly urban looking and with make a nice addition to Assembly. I support it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area