Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2016, 02:14 PM

5 posts, read 8,442 times

Advertisements

My husband is getting a job transfer to Columbia. I have never been to South Carolina, but my husband has many times and he loves the state. However, we are both unfamiliar with Columbia. We are trying to find a safe neighborhood that is close to his job, which is located in the southeast part of the city near the University of South Carolina School of Medicine. I will be looking for work when we move there. Is the Veterans Rd area safe? How about the Pine Belt Rd area in the north part of Forest Acres? I really appreciate any information I can get and thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2016, 04:39 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kt226 View Post
My husband is getting a job transfer to Columbia. I have never been to South Carolina, but my husband has many times and he loves the state. However, we are both unfamiliar with Columbia. We are trying to find a safe neighborhood that is close to his job, which is located in the southeast part of the city near the University of South Carolina School of Medicine. I will be looking for work when we move there. Is the Veterans Rd area safe? How about the Pine Belt Rd area in the north part of Forest Acres? I really appreciate any information I can get and thank you in advance!
Veterans Road is fine; Pine Belt is much further away and is hit or miss. Are you looking to rent a house, an apartment, what is your price range and what you want to be close to?

Old 08-02-2016, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Veterans Road is fine; Pine Belt is much further away and is hit or miss. Are you looking to rent a house, an apartment, what is your price range and what you want to be close to?
We are looking to rent a house for no more than $1200/month. We want to live in a quiet and safe neighborhood that is close to shopping and restaurants.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:38 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,720,946 times
KT

Overall, with few exceptions, the traffic in Columbia is sissy traffic so commuting here is not as bad as in many metropolitan areas. One of the newest, still developing, nicer, safest, good schools area is off of I77 in the Blythewood area. Also Forest Acres (closer to Columbia) is nice.

If no kids then schools are not an issue and renting for a year will allow you to check the whole area out before deciding if it all works for you.

The Columbia area has everything one could want. You will love it here.

Old 08-04-2016, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
KT

Overall, with few exceptions, the traffic in Columbia is sissy traffic so commuting here is not as bad as in many metropolitan areas. One of the newest, still developing, nicer, safest, good schools area is off of I77 in the Blythewood area. Also Forest Acres (closer to Columbia) is nice.

If no kids then schools are not an issue and renting for a year will allow you to check the whole area out before deciding if it all works for you.

The Columbia area has everything one could want. You will love it here.

Thank you for responding! We just got a place to rent in SE Columbia. How is traffic in this area? I've been doing a lot of research and Columbia seems like a great city. I'm excited to explore the area!

Old 08-04-2016, 07:46 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,557,106 times
Quote:
Thank you for responding! We just got a place to rent in SE Columbia. How is traffic in this area? I've been doing a lot of research and Columbia seems like a great city. I'm excited to explore the area!
Traffic isn't too bad on that side of town; you'll be convenient to shopping - Whole Foods, Earthfare, Trader Joe's, Target, etc. and lots of bars and restaurants in the Devine Street Corridor, Five Points and not far from Main Street and the Vista, either.

Old 08-04-2016, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Traffic isn't too bad on that side of town; you'll be convenient to shopping - Whole Foods, Earthfare, Trader Joe's, Target, etc. and lots of bars and restaurants in the Devine Street Corridor, Five Points and not far from Main Street and the Vista, either.
Oh wow! That sounds great!

Old 08-10-2016, 01:25 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,445,176 times
Check out the Rosewood neighborhood.

Old 08-21-2016, 09:27 AM

57 posts, read 95,755 times
Thumbs down Don't buy

Quote:
If you unsure if you are staying in SC, do not buy property. When you move and can't sell, you will pay 4x the property tax. Most people are not aware. Foreclosure continue because even the military are subject to this tax increase, when relocated. People find they must let property go, because who can afford mortgage and 4x tax, and paying to live where they have been relocated?

Just sharing as we wish someone had shared with us. . .

Old 08-21-2016, 10:45 AM

135 posts, read 166,872 times
Its not 4 times the tax. Primary residence is taxed at 4% and secondary is taxed at 6%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
View detailed profiles of: