Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2016, 09:03 AM

91 posts, read 154,567 times

Advertisements

I've been offered a great job in Columbia SC. We currently live in upstate NY, but did live in NC for a few years, so I get the whole north/South change. I don't think I'm going to have time to visit before we move. The only time we will be down is probably when we are getting a rental. Have you ever moved without visiting, and how did it turn out? I've been doing extensive research, and have read nothing but great things. Just have a few reserves about moving without checking it out first...

-Mj

Old 10-03-2016, 09:28 AM

4 posts, read 6,637 times
nice to see your post, I moved to Charlotte without visiting from upstate any and have quite recently moved to Columbia.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:05 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
I haven't done this but I think it is a great question. Not everyone has $$ or time to travel back and forth to check out new areas. I think wherever you go if you don't like the certain area you move to you can always move to a different area in that town/city.

Old 10-03-2016, 10:33 AM

2,682 posts, read 2,180,607 times
FYI -- you may have come across this is your research already, but a good way to become acquainted with the appearance of cities is on Youtube, where there's usually a few videos of people who drive thru the city and film thru the windshield.

Old 10-03-2016, 11:11 AM

I am coming from the Binghamton area. I lived near Fort Bragg in NC, and I'm going to work at Fort Jackson in SC. How are you liking it?

Old 10-03-2016, 11:14 AM

Brava4, exactly. I just don't have the time to take a 4-5 day trip down there. I started a nice list of things here, and there that are similar, and different, and it seems like we are moving for all the right reasons!

CapnTrips, I have done this already, so thank you for that suggestion! It looks beautiful by picture, and video, but sometimes its the feel of the new place that will really pull you in. I hated where we lived in NC, which was near Fort Bragg. It was an ugly area, with not much to do, and high crime.

Old 10-03-2016, 01:23 PM

2,648 posts, read 2,316,455 times
Since you'll be renting.. look for a rental thats month to month. Don't get locked into a year long lease just in case you don't like where you're living.

Once you find a decent rental you'll have more time to look around and be under less pressure to find the right area for you and your family.

Old 10-03-2016, 03:14 PM

18,530 posts, read 1,428,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomWifeNurse23 View Post
I've been offered a great job in Columbia SC. We currently live in upstate NY, but did live in NC for a few years, so I get the whole north/South change. I don't think I'm going to have time to visit before we move. The only time we will be down is probably when we are getting a rental. Have you ever moved without visiting, and how did it turn out? I've been doing extensive research, and have read nothing but great things. Just have a few reserves about moving without checking it out first...

-Mj
A rental would truly be a good option to consider. Unless you are young and don't mind moving a second time in the same area, a rental would allow you plenty of time to get a feel for the area. Btw, I used to live 1 hour south of Binghamton!

Old 10-03-2016, 03:20 PM

388 posts, read 307,499 times
I think it depends on your attitude going in. My husband and I moved to Alaska without ever visiting or knowing anyone here, and we love it. We went into it viewing it as a big adventure, and had minimal family ties holding us back east. We also decided in advance to give it a full year and then evaluate what we wanted to do next. Turns out that was to stay here, and we're celebrating our four-year "Alaska Anniversary" this week. Your situation may or may not allow you to cultivate that sort of attitude, but I think it could be a fantastic experience if you can!

Old 10-03-2016, 03:34 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,623,485 times
Would I ever move without visiting at least once? Hell no! Would I ever move without looking at my rental first? Hell no!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area