U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-04-2016, 08:14 AM

6 posts, read 4,278 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

It is confirmed that we are moving to South Carolina in about 2 months. We will be getting a realtor but I want to hear some local opinions first about the area East of Columbia. My work is South of Florence, and I don't want to have to drive more than an hour to work. We are looking for safe communities with good public schools. Any help other than Columbia is also greatly appreciated. We have personally been to Aynor, Conway, and Myrtle Beach, but with some researching it's showing that Aynor has high crime. How can that be with such a small town, maybe the websites we have looked at are incorrect. Thank you for any help you can provide.

-Andrew
Wife and 2 Kids
Son- 7th grade
Daughter-2nd grade
1 hour from Florence
Good/ Safe Community
Great Schools
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2016, 09:50 AM

20,661 posts, read 21,644,398 times
I recall you were seeking to locate near Timmonsville. ("Possible move near Timmonsville.")

Are you considering Sumter or Florence?

Old 10-04-2016, 11:31 AM

That is correct. You want me to delete this post and repost there? As for the move. We are having a difficult time finding good schools and a safe area. We werent impressed with Florence. We liked Aynor but the research online shows they have high crime. Can you tell me anything about lugoff-elgin. Thanks

Old 10-04-2016, 11:50 AM

This thread is fine if you are considering Columbia and Richland County.

I do not know much about the Lugoff community and the town of Elgin, both in Kershaw County. I am familiar with Lugoff-Elgin High School, 1284 Highway 1 South, Lugoff, South Carolina 29078-8616. It is in Class AAAA in the South Carolina High School League, and it has one of the top wrestling programs in the state.

Old 10-04-2016, 12:23 PM

Do you consider this high school to be safe and a good education school. The middle and elementary schools in the lugoff elgin area are rated really high

Old 10-04-2016, 12:29 PM

Yes, I would consider Lugoff-Elgin High School safe and proactive in education. Positive high ratings among feeder schools should be convincing to consider locating in the attendance area.

Old 10-04-2016, 01:21 PM

1,514 posts, read 1,460,663 times
I'd also recommend lugoff-Elgin or Camden.

Old 10-04-2016, 04:56 PM

377 posts, read 630,194 times
Echoing the Lugoff-Elgin/Camden recs. My impression of Aynor any time I drive through it is that if there were a better way to get to Myrtle Beach, Aynor would have disincorporated as a town long ago.

As far as your concerns, Aynor's crime looks worse because most of those stats are calculated per 100,000 residents, and Aynor has less than a thousand. One guy breaking into a few homes is going to send that per-100,000 rate through the roof, particularly if the weighting is done incorrectly. Looking at the actual number of incidents, it's the usual small-town shenanigans: property crime, domestic disputes, that sort of thing. Violent crime is nearly nonexistent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area