Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-03-2018, 06:59 AM

8,130 posts, read 13,177,257 times

Advertisements

What about all that city owned property up along River Drive where the community garden is located ? I would have rather seen the school built there as part of a mixed use complex of residential and schools. Could have been an interesting concept and the Jom Moore site more retail residential and commercial
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2018, 09:41 AM

1,133 posts, read 931,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
What about all that city owned property up along River Drive where the community garden is located ? I would have rather seen the school built there as part of a mixed use complex of residential and schools. Could have been an interesting concept and the Jom Moore site more retail residential and commercial
Exactly. This area they are building in us a waste of space and opportunity

Old 10-08-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
Exactly. This area they are building in us a waste of space and opportunity

Two other North Main St sites that are screaming for redevelopment... The old Sonic Drive In on the eastside of North Main just under the RR trestle.. that is an ideal spot for some commercial development (it also includes a check casher and an old seafood restaurant). It may be too close to the tracks for residential/mixed use.. but who knows.. That parcel includes the entire area along the tracks, North Main, and along Sunset.. Since it is all under one ownership.. that is prime for development and its along a high traffic count intersection with Sunset.

The other site is the warehouse on the eastside of North Main just north of Sunset. I believe it is being used as a staging area for the streetscape.. I wouldn't want to see the warehouse torn down per se.. But it could be used as maker spaces an subdivided into a boutique indoor "flea market" with multiple craft vendors and small craft manufacturers. That would be the perfect shot in the arm that would connect the Eau Claire section of North Main with the booming Cottontown/Elmwood Park North Main.. The City or the Eau Claire Development Corporation could acquire and operate.

North Main at Sunset Site

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0298...7i13312!8i6656

North Main St Warehouse/ Craft Market

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0309...7i13312!8i6656

Old 10-10-2018, 10:27 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,822,466 times
https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...link=mainstage

Seems like some area residents and business owners aren't too happy about the school.

Old 10-11-2018, 10:20 AM

511 posts, read 423,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
https://www.thestate.com/news/local/...link=mainstage

Seems like some area residents and business owners aren't too happy about the school.
I can fully see the point. Great restrictions alcohol licenses within 300 ft (yards?) of a church/school? And even if they get grandfathered in, they would have a hard time selling, since new tenant wouldn't get the save waiver.

One micro-brewery was already forced to shrink the tasting room because of the silly blue-laws around here, too close to a church. I assume they are afraid the congregants would choose to take sacrement at the pub instead of the church. And that means reduce tithes...

And a great point was mentioning the horrific traffic during pickup/dropoff at the school.

Just move the school somewhere else.

Old 10-11-2018, 08:00 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,475,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
I can fully see the point. Great restrictions alcohol licenses within 300 ft (yards?) of a church/school? And even if they get grandfathered in, they would have a hard time selling, since new tenant wouldn't get the save waiver.

One micro-brewery was already forced to shrink the tasting room because of the silly blue-laws around here, too close to a church. I assume they are afraid the congregants would choose to take sacrement at the pub instead of the church. And that means reduce tithes...

And a great point was mentioning the horrific traffic during pickup/dropoff at the school.

Just move the school somewhere else.
Better yet, no charter school at all.

Old 10-12-2018, 05:46 AM

1,100 posts, read 1,323,042 times
Default They need to change that antiquated 300 ft law

In the long run that school brings a ton of feet on the ground to that area and deep pocketed landscaping both increasing the area’s vitality.

But yes the remnants of the blue laws that are still on the books need to go.
That 300 foot law creates wack real world consequences like cottontown brewery
Being forced to shrink their taproom cause a Church moved in over a year after they
Opened up shop, it’s ridiculous.

Monks made beer, Churches and breweries have been right next door to each others or centuries
In other places.

Old 10-15-2018, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
In the long run that school brings a ton of feet on the ground to that area and deep pocketed landscaping both increasing the area’s vitality.

But yes the remnants of the blue laws that are still on the books need to go.
That 300 foot law creates wack real world consequences like cottontown brewery
Being forced to shrink their taproom cause a Church moved in over a year after they
Opened up shop, it’s ridiculous.

Monks made beer, Churches and breweries have been right next door to each others or centuries
In other places.

Come on King... that makes too much sense we are in SC after all...The only reason why the Blue Laws changed was because of the money being lost in Charleston and Myrtle Beach tourists markets... forced the change... All the outlets and bars that were moving in the 80s and 90s wanting to open before noon and serve beer pressured the General Assembly and forced modest changes based on which counties could demonstrate a certain threshold of revenue.. Don't know if that has been further modified to allow more flexibility.... I guess money talks....

Old 11-02-2018, 04:04 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,822,466 times
https://www.free-times.com/news/loca...85e2e1f49.html

https://www.free-times.com/news/loca...730e3e456.html

This has to be the most hot button topic to hit the area since the apartments were proposed a few years back. I will have to agree this is the wrong spot for a school and it should be reconsidered somewhere else away from bars and restaurants.

Old 11-03-2018, 01:53 AM

1,133 posts, read 931,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSUfan View Post
https://www.free-times.com/news/loca...85e2e1f49.html

https://www.free-times.com/news/loca...730e3e456.html

This has to be the most hot button topic to hit the area since the apartments were proposed a few years back. I will have to agree this is the wrong spot for a school and it should be reconsidered somewhere else away from bars and restaurants.
A mixed use Mid rise apartment/Condo/Hotel with retail on the bottom floor facing Main Street with an alley way for extra spots for restaurants, Shops etc would be ideal. Not a non tax paying school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area