U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2008, 05:37 PM

2 posts, read 3,548 times

Advertisements

Hi!

Just joined the forum and I'm excited and a little scared at the same time.. The only place Iv'e ever lived, is Pennsylvania. I come from a family of 9, all but two live in PA. It's a difficult decision for me, but the dentist I've worked with, side by side for the past 16 years will be retiring in two years. This is a large practice.. 4 dentist total, but the bottom line is, my best friend will be gone.. The others would freak if they knew I was thinking of leaving.., but I think this is a time in my life I too need to explore and find happiness. So, I've been checking out South Carolina.. The Columbia area. I feel like I'm having a secret love affair with the south.. I've been looking for a dental practice that would keep me happy and paid well. I make 40 a year, so I wouldn't want to make less than that. Is that unreasonable? As to where to live..
Found the Waterford charming. Is the apartment complex a nice neighborhood to live in for a single lady of 43? Safe? Clean? Is it easy to make friends in the south? Will I be accepted? I am from the North East ya know.. Is this crazy? Think I could make it? Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2008, 07:44 PM

6,636 posts, read 14,144,789 times
The Waterford isn't a bad complex as far as I know, but if you don't like it, there are plenty of other places to live. I'm not sure what dental hygienists make here, but 40 a year doesn't seem unreasonable. You won't have any problem being accepted, there are plenty of people living here from all over. I'd wait to settle on an apartment, though, until you see what part of town you'll be working in. I'd rather live in-town than in a suburban apartment complex, but it's whereever you're comfortable.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:21 AM

432 posts, read 1,356,145 times
Default We have a large PA "diaspora"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly117 View Post
Hi!

Just joined the forum and I'm excited and a little scared at the same time.. The only place Iv'e ever lived, is Pennsylvania. I come from a family of 9, all but two live in PA. It's a difficult decision for me, but the dentist I've worked with, side by side for the past 16 years will be retiring in two years. This is a large practice.. 4 dentist total, but the bottom line is, my best friend will be gone.. The others would freak if they knew I was thinking of leaving.., but I think this is a time in my life I too need to explore and find happiness. So, I've been checking out South Carolina.. The Columbia area. I feel like I'm having a secret love affair with the south.. I've been looking for a dental practice that would keep me happy and paid well. I make 40 a year, so I wouldn't want to make less than that. Is that unreasonable? As to where to live..
Found the Waterford charming. Is the apartment complex a nice neighborhood to live in for a single lady of 43? Safe? Clean? Is it easy to make friends in the south? Will I be accepted? I am from the North East ya know.. Is this crazy? Think I could make it? Help
Holly - I think you will find Columbia a very pleasant place to live. We are growing at a steady, moderate pace so that you shouldn't have too much trouble finding a dental practice looking to hire folks. Can't vouch for salary levels, but do look around. Can't speak specifically for the Waterford (other than it is a good location in terms of highways, but you would have to check it out for yourself for how it "feels"). I would second waccamat's suggestion of looking more into a broad range of apartment options, keeping in mind where you might work should also be a factor. For example, if you're working on the Northeast side of town, then the Waterford may not be the best option.

Columbia is a very accepting place - it is cosmopolitan enough to welcome "outsiders". Moreover, there is a HUGE population of native Pennsylvanians around here - don't know if you're from eastern or western PA, but it is very easy to find Steelers fans here (there are at least two on my street). The Carolinas have so many folks from PA that the NFL tries to regularly schedule a pre-season football game between the Panthers and Steelers in Charlotte (about 100 miles north of here). I myself am originally from Chicago and of Asian-Indian descent - I have had no issues being "accepted" at all. A little bit of cultural adjustment, perhaps, but very little.

Good luck on your potential move!

Old 02-27-2008, 06:19 PM

2 posts, read 3,548 times
Thanks so much for your reply. Hoping to get to Columbia some time in the fall maybe. To take a look around and visit some dental offices. I did find one 10 minutes away from Waterford! The office looks great online and the Dentist has the same kind of dental backround that I have and the guys I work for! Do you think he'd think I was pushy if I showed up some day? By the way? How's the food? How about the grocery stores? I'm a great cook and love to try and duplicate restaurant dishes. Thanks again for the encouraging replies!

Old 02-27-2008, 08:24 PM

6,636 posts, read 14,144,789 times
Holly, I don't think it would be a good idea to just show up there one day. Perhaps if you send a resume and follow it up with a phone call a few days later that would make a good impression. You could then let the dentist know that you'll be visiting Columbia and would be happy to stop by. As far as grocery stores, they run the gamut from discount to gourmet and whole foods/organic stores. There are a number of ethnic restaurants in town so you can probably find almost anything that you like.

Old 02-28-2008, 09:56 AM

432 posts, read 1,356,145 times
Default May want to try a recruiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly117 View Post
Thanks so much for your reply. Hoping to get to Columbia some time in the fall maybe. To take a look around and visit some dental offices. I did find one 10 minutes away from Waterford! The office looks great online and the Dentist has the same kind of dental backround that I have and the guys I work for! Do you think he'd think I was pushy if I showed up some day? By the way? How's the food? How about the grocery stores? I'm a great cook and love to try and duplicate restaurant dishes. Thanks again for the encouraging replies!
Holly - as Waccamatt said, I would try sending resumes out first. I know a recruiter who may be of help if you want - you can private-message me if you want to try that route.

We have a good amount of ethnic and other interesting restaurants, but I will say that it is good advice to not expect a Manhattan or even Philly/Pittsburgh type restaurant scene. As a southern college town we do have a good core of good places to eat. However, there are many folks (though by no means all) who would rather have a Chik-fil-a on their street corner rather than something more "daring". So, don't be surprised if you see Pizza Hut being ranked as the best pizza in town by a local survey, and don't be surprised if many Mexican restaurants are a bit on the "safe, bland" side of the ledger. That being said, we have some wonderful eateries, and grocery stores run from discount supercenters to mainstream supermarkets to more upscale natural/organic stores. You will find good Indian, Thai, Mexican, Chinese, Italian, etc., along with more sophisticated American/European places as well. We also some good farmers' markets around the area.

Old 05-01-2008, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 1,681 times
Default New Children's Dental Clinic Columbia South Carolina

We are currently looking to employ an Associate Dentist for a new clinic in Columbia South Carolina the clinic will be open May 12, 2008 any interested parties please fax your resume and salary requirement to 1-636-794-7575 and are welcome to contact me directly with any questions you may have at 803-750-2131
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area