Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2017, 06:09 AM

8,222 posts, read 13,338,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
The indoor skiing things was an idea I had in my head for years but abandoned that idea after I figure it would work here. But now I believe it would work now.
Maybe an former NFL star turned running back coach from Columbia would build a indoor sports complex in the old Belks at Columbia Place or better yet Dutch Square.......Duce Staley ...Im counting on you.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 10:24 AM

8,793 posts, read 8,157,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Maybe an former NFL star turned running back coach from Columbia would build a indoor sports complex in the old Belks at Columbia Place or better yet Dutch Square.......Duce Staley ...Im counting on you.......
Duce lives here? As an Eagles fan, I would love to meet him.

Old 02-01-2017, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Duce lives here? As an Eagles fan, I would love to meet him.

He's from here and I believe he still has family and a home here.. He went to Airport HS and USC

Old 02-02-2017, 01:01 PM

I noticed the Mayor didn't mention anything about Transit or Transportation as it relates to business development. I would have thought that improving transit in and round the city, especially downtown, parking structures, and the even loftier goal of having Regional Rail would have been woven into the "support business" mantra especially given the study effort surrounding the Intermodal. Transit helps bring customers and employees to business.. but maybe we have already gotten as good as we are going to get? Also, no mention of attracting airlines to CAE.. though that was a big deal when Southwest was in play several years ago.. Again just an observation..

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/ne...ernment/71440/

Old 02-02-2017, 01:54 PM

37,875 posts, read 41,896,305 times
Quote:
I noticed the Mayor didn't mention anything about Transit or Transportation as it relates to business development. I would have thought that improving transit in and round the city, especially downtown, parking structures, and the even loftier goal of having Regional Rail would have been woven into the "support business" mantra especially given the study effort surrounding the Intermodal. Transit helps bring customers and employees to business.. but maybe we have already gotten as good as we are going to get? Also, no mention of attracting airlines to CAE.. though that was a big deal when Southwest was in play several years ago.. Again just an observation..

Benjamin focuses on nurturing city
Benjamin rattled off his facts and figures with the help of the Virtual Inter-Columbia Intelligence expert, or VICI (pronounced Vicky). The computer would answer questions and present slides during the address. Benjamin said it was part of the new partnership between USC and IBM.

Old 02-02-2017, 04:26 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,029,916 times
Quote:

Benjamin focuses on nurturing city
Southwest hasn't been a resounding success at GSP. Not sure if this has changed, but I know they dropped flights and destinations a while ago to adjust for demand. For whatever reason, no-frills airlines have not been successful in Columbia with the strong exception of Independence Air. I'd love to see Southwest at CAE, but I don't think it ended up being the catastrophic miss we thought it was at the time. CAE's fare are on par or a bit better than GSP's based on the numbers released by Columbia Business Report.

What I wish CAE would do is work on getting the existing legacy airlines to add service to additional hubs, especially JFK followed by Miami. Columbia used to have service to Detroit as well but that was dropped. These hubs would greatly expand the number of one-stop flights available from Columbia, particularly to international destinations.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:53 PM

751 posts, read 565,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
Southwest hasn't been a resounding success at GSP. Not sure if this has changed, but I know they dropped flights and destinations a while ago to adjust for demand. For whatever reason, no-frills airlines have not been successful in Columbia with the strong exception of Independence Air. I'd love to see Southwest at CAE, but I don't think it ended up being the catastrophic miss we thought it was at the time. CAE's fare are on par or a bit better than GSP's based on the numbers released by Columbia Business Report.

What I wish CAE would do is work on getting the existing legacy airlines to add service to additional hubs, especially JFK followed by Miami. Columbia used to have service to Detroit as well but that was dropped. These hubs would greatly expand the number of one-stop flights available from Columbia, particularly to international destinations.
A lot of flight routing in smaller, non-tourist markets is driven by business travelers. This may not be the best example, but Charlotte got a direct flight to Germany in large part because I believe Michelin essentially guaranteed a certain number of weekly seats. Columbia is unfortunately not well-positioned since most business in the city is legal (not a ton of national travel), government (mainly to DC), and military (non-commercial).

I know this is a bit of a tangent, but how do y'all think McMaster will approach economic development? He wasn't elected on jobs as Haley was, so he might not face the same pressure to deliver. He's also from Forest Acres, so he may not have the same feelings about Columbia that Haley did.

Old 02-03-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post

Agreed.. I am surprised that CAE doesn't have direct flights to JFK at a minimum. Miami or FLL would be good seasonally maybe. I know there used to be seasonal flights to Orlando from CAE but maybe Florida is falling out of favor for other warm destinations accessible via ATL or CLT. I am not surprised that Detroit was discontinued though....

Old 02-03-2017, 09:43 AM

Regarding Rail Travel.

There has been a lot of interest in connecting Columbia with Charlotte and the high speed rail network being developed from NYC to Atlanta. I am surprised that there has been little interest in connecting Charleston with Atlanta via Columbia? You would pick up Columbia and Augusta not to mention the sprawling suburbs outside Atlanta such as Covington and Conyers Georgia. Again we are talking about Regional Rail not commuter rail. You would also get other places like Lexington, Orangeburg, Aiken, North Charleston and Summerville to name a few if using existing track. If demand stays constant then you could upgrade the tracks. This is what they did in NC.. the route was popular so now they are upgrading them. NCDOT may also own the tracks. I know the freight carriers would resist any effort to share tracks with even a handful of passengers trains on routes not already shared with Amtrak... but... President Trump may be able to convince them otherwise.........

Old 02-03-2017, 11:05 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,029,916 times
Quote:
Agreed.. I am surprised that CAE doesn't have direct flights to JFK at a minimum. Miami or FLL would be good seasonally maybe. I know there used to be seasonal flights to Orlando from CAE but maybe Florida is falling out of favor for other warm destinations accessible via ATL or CLT. I am not surprised that Detroit was discontinued though....
I'd prefer MIA over FLL because it's a hub and a primary connection point to Latin America. Same for Detroit - not because Columbians love to travel to Michigan, but because Detroit is a major hub for the US and a major connection point for Delta to Asia.

I, too, remember the CAE flights to both Orlando and Tampa. I'm not sure Orlando makes a lot of sense for a direct flight from Columbia. It's about a six hour drive from here to International Boulevard and I would imagine most people going there are families with children. After paying for airfare, getting kids through security, mollifying them during flight, and renting a car, is it worth it to fly? Certainly debatable.

As Columbia grows and more Columbians use CAE instead of CLT, we should see more point-to-point air service. But for now, my strategy for CAE would be to have frequent daily service to most, if not all, East Coast and Midwestern hub. This would open up more connections, better scheduling, and increase competition, thereby driving demand and lowering fares.

Are you reading this, Dan Mann?? Lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area