Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2022, 06:31 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,323,454 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Let us take a moment to appreciate that the I-20 widening in Lexington county has mercifully been completed. After starting in the spring of 2016 it was set to be finished in the fall of 2019. Nearly 3 years after the initial set completion date, SCDOT has finished this engineering feat of widening 11 miles of road and rebuilding 2 bridges.
6 years to widen 11 miles of road from 2 lanes to 3 lanes, , that contractor should be banned from all future SCDOT projects!

Well, I guess they didn't get that completion bonus for finishing the project early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2022, 05:27 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
I have always thought that the median of 77 and 277 could be used for rail.. The caveat for SC versus the Northeast Corridor would be.. that it could serve both passenger and freight with passenger being the priority. You wonder with this caveat if that would incentive a public private partnership with one of the existing railroads or even another operator..? The average speed of a freight train between Columbia and Charlotte is probably 40 to 50 mph if they could get up to 60 or 70 mph how does that improve their operating cost delivery time? It would be nuts to build a high speed rail network and no include freight.. since it could certainly use it late/overnight when most high speed passenger trains are not in service
Norfolk Southern already has a Columbia to Charlotte route that meanders from here up to Blythewood crossing 77 at Exit 19, I believe, then up to Ridgeway and crossing 77 at the 34 over to Winnsboro then Chester and Rock Hill crossing 77 near the Dave Lyle exit (82) and again in Charlotte in two spots to the Charlotte yard where Amtrak is also located. They only run maybe four trains daily as well as an as needed grain train to Monetta. Chester is a busy spot where they meet the Lancaster and Chester RR. Columbia to Charlotte is not a mail line for NS. Atlanta to Charlotte is.

In the 90s, they ran a train with Amtrak locomotives and passenger cars train to get South Carolina leaders interested in a daily Charlotte to Columbia route down the NS line to go along with the three times daily Charlotte to Raliegh train. This being South Carolina, that idea quickly derailed. I cannot imagine a scenario where a new track in built down the middle of 77 from Charlotte. The cost would be astronomical.

Old 07-01-2022, 07:55 AM

518 posts, read 435,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
Let us take a moment to appreciate that the I-20 widening in Lexington county has mercifully been completed. After starting in the spring of 2016 it was set to be finished in the fall of 2019. Nearly 3 years after the initial set completion date, SCDOT has finished this engineering feat of widening 11 miles of road and rebuilding 2 bridges.
Is it all cleared out now? No construction signs or Jersey Barricades?

Old 07-01-2022, 01:03 PM

1,555 posts, read 1,843,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
Is it all cleared out now? No construction signs or Jersey Barricades?
They’re just working on the US1 interchange which for some odd reason started construction after the lanes and center barrier were put in.

Old 07-02-2022, 05:06 AM

542 posts, read 1,106,236 times
I don't know how it works, but how did the contractor make any money on this project? Anyway, thank God they're done. Now we get to struggle on 26 for the next ten years plus, if I live that long. Happy birthday America.

Old 07-06-2022, 03:01 PM

8,226 posts, read 13,338,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe the Photog View Post
Norfolk Southern already has a Columbia to Charlotte route that meanders from here up to Blythewood crossing 77 at Exit 19, I believe, then up to Ridgeway and crossing 77 at the 34 over to Winnsboro then Chester and Rock Hill crossing 77 near the Dave Lyle exit (82) and again in Charlotte in two spots to the Charlotte yard where Amtrak is also located. They only run maybe four trains daily as well as an as needed grain train to Monetta. Chester is a busy spot where they meet the Lancaster and Chester RR. Columbia to Charlotte is not a mail line for NS. Atlanta to Charlotte is.

In the 90s, they ran a train with Amtrak locomotives and passenger cars train to get South Carolina leaders interested in a daily Charlotte to Columbia route down the NS line to go along with the three times daily Charlotte to Raliegh train. This being South Carolina, that idea quickly derailed. I cannot imagine a scenario where a new track in built down the middle of 77 from Charlotte. The cost would be astronomical.
Yeah it couldnt be done just to connect Columbia to Charlotte.. It would have to be done as part of a highspeed rail network along the East Coast.. Unfortunately that train has left the station that route will be connecting Charlotte with Atlanta to the NE Corridor. The only benefit is they wouldnt have to acquire much rights of way as the median is already owned by SCDOT so property acquisition would be minimal at least that stretch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area