Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2017, 10:27 PM

21 posts, read 65,174 times

Advertisements

Hi all. Well, I really would like to get some input here. We have a 2 bedroom apartment here in Columbia. It is only 10 years old. Ok, so its not even summer and our average electric bill seems to be around $120 a month. We Have the AC/heat off alot of the time because I just open the windows. So, no clue why its that high. Additionally, our water bill was $52 for the past month. Yes, we have a washer/dryer, though we do not use it more than once a week, maybe less. Use dishwasher probably once a day. Do not normally take long showers. So, I am trying to figure this out. Is anyone else dealing with these high bills in a small apartment here in Columbia? Really need to know. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2017, 08:40 AM

518 posts, read 436,324 times
I am in the NE, hooked up to Columbia water supply. I live in a house with 2 kids. Washer/Dryer and Daily showers. We don't use $52 worth of water a month.

Power bill is probably not outragous, our is much higher. Modem, Router, Computers, and TVs all have some level of draw even 'off'.

Good Luck

Old 02-03-2017, 09:26 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,031,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen78sc View Post
Hi all. Well, I really would like to get some input here. We have a 2 bedroom apartment here in Columbia. It is only 10 years old. Ok, so its not even summer and our average electric bill seems to be around $120 a month. We Have the AC/heat off alot of the time because I just open the windows. So, no clue why its that high. Additionally, our water bill was $52 for the past month. Yes, we have a washer/dryer, though we do not use it more than once a week, maybe less. Use dishwasher probably once a day. Do not normally take long showers. So, I am trying to figure this out. Is anyone else dealing with these high bills in a small apartment here in Columbia? Really need to know. Thank you
Water bill is definitely high. You may have a leak? Worth checking into.

Power bill seems high as well. I used to live in an 1100 sq ft detached home and $120 would have been the highest my bill would be in the height of summer. Even with a ten year old apartment, it's possible it was constructed with minimally efficient insulation, windows, etc. Your water heater may be an efficient model. I'm not sure what you can do about that in an apartment other than ask the property management company.

Old 02-03-2017, 10:21 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,563,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen78sc View Post
My electric and gas bills are higher in the winter than the summer. If you're outside the city limits your water bills will be higher. Running a dishwasher every day is a lot, so that's likely raising your bill.

Old 02-03-2017, 01:42 PM

21 posts, read 65,174 times
Thank you all for the information. It is very frustrating

Old 02-08-2017, 10:53 AM

40 posts, read 51,791 times
Hey! We just moved in from Greenville into the Cayce area and were in a 1bdrm 820sq ft apt. We don't have laundry equipment nor use the dishwasher. Mine and my boyfriend's baths only take 5-7 mins each because we are rushing to work. The house is alone for 10hrs of the day with all the lights off. We wear layers to sleep because we NEVER touch the central AC/Heat. As far as non-essential electronics we connect is a TV set, an iMac, router and Roku device. All of these are on a surge protector that gets unplugged off the wall when we are not home. We don't leave anything plugged because of fire hazards and because even when devices are off, if they are still plugged to the wall they can still drain energy. The ONLY thing that runs 24/7 on a medium setting is the refrigerator and the stove. Yet our bill from SE&G arrived at $112 last month. In Greenville with Duke Energy we had an 800sq ft apt, just slightly smaller, and our bill never went above $60. The natural gas made up most of the SE&G bill, despite our short baths. It can't be the stove since it is electric. I can't think of anything else in the house that uses natural gas besides the water. We called them and they told us there's nothing wrong with our meter. It's just what it is. The 3 times I've called they have been extremely rude. The other day I just called to ask a simple question about the next billing cycle and the lady was talking to me like she'd wish I didn't exist!

Old 02-08-2017, 12:38 PM

5 posts, read 9,959 times
My wife and I have been equally puzzled by our electric and water bills. Moved here from nc about 18 months ago, where our water bills were always around $35 per month. Here in Lexington they are $57 per month, exactly the same, to the penny. I don't believe they read the meter. Our electric is also much higher than it was in nc, even though we're in a 2200 sf house vs a 3000. But overall for us we're still happy and better off because our taxes are much lower, more than offsetting the higher utilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area