Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2017, 12:36 PM

40 posts, read 50,981 times

Advertisements

My friend from Greenville was from Puerto Rico and introduced me to a great variety of produce in Hispanic supermarkets while I was living there over 10yrs. Taro, yautia, yuca, plantains, cheap fruits and vegetables... My health improved so much eating cleaner and closer to the plant. I shopped at these supermarkets all the time time and saved so much money, especially at La Unica on White Horse Road. They were a large Mexican supermarket, but carried a wide selection of Carribbean products. I also read that recently Compare foods opened in Greenville as well. So far, no such luck finding these sources in Columbia. All I find with a quick Google search is a bunch of small obscure Mexican "grocery" stores. They call them grocery stores, but in fact they look like and operate more like family restaurants. In my experience, small businesses like these have extremely limited produce and are usually only selective to Mexico. Can't imagine how could Columbia that is much larger than Greenville not have a sizable Hispanic supermarket somewhere..!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2017, 01:32 PM

511 posts, read 423,991 times
There are a couple Hispanic Grocery Stores on Decker near I-77/Percival.

Old 02-08-2017, 03:44 PM

743 posts, read 736,901 times
Pretty sure Compare foods closed several years ago in Greenville. But El Mariachi has two stores, one in West Columbia on Sunset Blvd between Jarvis Clapman and 12th street, and One on Decker near 77. They are not as big as a Kroger, but both stores are fairly sizable. The Hispanic communities are pretty split between West Columbia and the Decker Blvd area.

Old 02-08-2017, 04:26 PM

I guess Compare Foods reopened again because they are now on

3220 W Blue Ridge Dr
Greenville, South Carolina

Check it out if you are ever around. While I'm not looking straight up Krogers or BiLo size, I'm just looking for substantial variety. I will give El Mariachi a shot. Their Google profile made it look like a restaurant more than a grocer. Thanks.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:30 PM

36 posts, read 62,761 times
Publix at Two Notch has a nice selection of taro, yuca, plantains...

Old 02-09-2017, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldhead View Post
Hey! Far from me, but that's good info!

Old 02-09-2017, 08:31 AM

21,003 posts, read 26,983,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baldhead View Post
I would like to see Publix open Publix Sabor stores in Columbia and elsewhere in South Carolina.

Old 02-09-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordo06 View Post
Pretty sure Compare foods closed several years ago in Greenville.
Quote:
Originally Posted by amieb View Post
I guess Compare Foods reopened again because they are now on

3220 W Blue Ridge Dr
Greenville, South Carolina

Check it out if you are ever around.
Compare Foods opened its initial Greenville, South Carolina, store in 2005. It was the former Winn-Dixie #1297, 642 Sulphur Springs Road, Greenville, South Carolina 29617-1622. The store was an instant failure. It was open briefly for several weeks.

Compare Foods recently returned to Greenville. Its sole store is the former BI-LO #5581, Shops at Stanford Court, 3220 West Blue Ridge Drive Greenville, South Carolina 29611-3939.

Old 02-09-2017, 09:10 AM

Compare Foods recently updated its website and its store locations. Its Greenville, South Carolina, store is not listed. If the store closed immediately after opening, someone made bad business decisions.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Compare Foods recently updated its website and its store locations. Its Greenville, South Carolina, store is not listed. If the store closed immediately after opening, someone made bad business decisions.
They're still there. I visit Greenville every 3-4 weeks because I left my parents there after moving to Columbia. I just went shopping with them about 1wk ago at Compare. They are getting people rushing in, both Hispanics and non-Hispanic. Hope they keep expanding, they're prices are definitely better than conventional supermarkets on produce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area