U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 05:35 PM

89 posts, read 70,518 times

Advertisements

I'd like to add to this post. I've been looking in Chapin but notice how close together the houses are. So, I've turned my attention to Elgin and Lugoff, not because I want a ton of land, but just to have some space. Local folks, what do you think?

Is it a pretty quiet area?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2017, 10:34 AM

127 posts, read 111,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Registrarln View Post
I'd like to add to this post. I've been looking in Chapin but notice how close together the houses are. So, I've turned my attention to Elgin and Lugoff, not because I want a ton of land, but just to have some space. Local folks, what do you think?

You should be able to easily find a house in Chapin that sits on a large lot of land if you don't want to live in a subdivision.

Like a previous poster said, I would recommend staying on the western side of Columbia in the Lexington, Ballentine, Chapin area. The schools are better.

Old 07-28-2017, 02:33 PM

227 posts, read 342,743 times
Where are you working?

While schools in Lexington have been highly regarded for a decade I feel there are good schools elsewhere. Lake Carolina (close to Elgin not sure about zoning) and roundtop are very good northeast elementary schools.

I personally didn't live in Chaplin because the commute was too far for my work and the traffic generally sucks on i26. Same can be said for Lexington but traffic is even worse. This only mattered because of where I work. I might've dealt with traffic if I could have a nice lake Murray lot.

Blythewood is a small town and Elgin is too. It's slightly away from the craziness that is the northeast. 200k can get you a big vinyl siding 4bd house almost anywhere.

Old 07-29-2017, 12:30 AM

862 posts, read 451,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2J3j View Post
I guess one thing I didn't consider until I was looking through some pictures is bridges. Are there a lot of high long bridges that would need to be crossed on a daily basis in these areas? I know it sounds silly, but I have a terrible fear of bridges.
There aren't any tall or extremely long bridges, but there are some quite beautiful ones. Particularly downtown.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:03 AM

606 posts, read 798,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Registrarln View Post

You really need to get down here and visit, there is a very different feel between the two sides of town due to the trees/terrain and Columbia's position along the fall line. North-east of town is flatter and sandier. The north-western side is hillier and the soil has a more clay-like consistency.

You can still find homes in your price point in Chapin that are not in new subdivisions (tiny lots), but you'll have to give up some of the updated features.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:06 AM

606 posts, read 798,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinceisvince View Post
Where are you working?

While schools in Lexington have been highly regarded for a decade I feel there are good schools elsewhere. Lake Carolina (close to Elgin not sure about zoning) and roundtop are very good northeast elementary schools.

I personally didn't live in Chaplin because the commute was too far for my work and the traffic generally sucks on i26. Same can be said for Lexington but traffic is even worse. This only mattered because of where I work. I might've dealt with traffic if I could have a nice lake Murray lot.

Blythewood is a small town and Elgin is too. It's slightly away from the craziness that is the northeast. 200k can get you a big vinyl siding 4bd house almost anywhere.
Good post. Almost all the Columbia suburbs have good schools.

Lexington traffic is absurd right now, and Chapin is not far behind. We live in the Chapin area, but I do not have to commute downtown. I don't know if I would have moved out here if I still had an 8-5 downtown, but many of my neighbors do that commute every day.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:38 PM

22,950 posts, read 34,130,530 times
I have heard good things about Blythewood, what is the commute like in/out of downtown Columbia during normal working hours?

Old 08-28-2017, 07:17 AM

2 posts, read 1,386 times
I am a Realtor in Columbia. I would be glad to help you decide on an area to live as well as find your new home.

Old 08-28-2017, 11:50 AM

16 posts, read 13,612 times
Lexington/Richland 5 is an award winning school district currently zoned for Irmo, Chapin and St. Andrews areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area