U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 12:13 PM

10 posts, read 14,900 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
I cannot say I have ever seen a yard sign for a rental. Most major apartment complexes have a rental office or a sign with a number to call.

You talked about one working in Columbia and one in Aiken. If so, Elgin or Blythewood should be out of the question. I still the same, check out West Columbia and Lexington. Split the commute in time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger17 View Post
If one has to work in Aiken, you should live on the Lexington side of the Columbia area. Depending on where the job is in Aiken, it would be quite a haul from in-town Columbia and the Northeast.
Well, we weren't sure if my boyfriend would land in Aiken or Columbia, so we wanted to keep our options open.

As of today, it looks like he will end up in Aiken. So we've pretty much decided on Lexington (the fact that they have an annual Oyster Roast every St Patrick's Day doesn't hurt either! )

That still leaves us looking for a rental house with a fenced in backyard, that allow dogs. We originally wanted space due to kind of a bad experience with our current condo association. Being told our grill has to be in *this* spot, instead of *that* spot and how we have "non-conforming patio furniture": (a baby gate I used with our dog when she was a puppy and we were training her on understanding boundaries). We weren't looking for a lot of land per say, just a little breathing room.

So we'll be constantly refreshing Zillow, Realtor and Trulia. If you see any "local" listings, please send them our way. (Along with any Lexington-specific advice, now that we're finally decided on that much)

Thank you!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2017, 12:38 PM

Actually, we've found a listing in Oak Grove, specifically. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

Old 08-21-2017, 11:55 PM

9,830 posts, read 19,334,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL0072 View Post
Actually, we've found a listing in Oak Grove, specifically. Anyone have any thoughts on that?
Probably a bit late but it's a good area.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:12 AM

2 posts, read 1,391 times
Would you be interested in buying. There are down payment assistance programs for first time home buyers available. In this area, you can usually buy cheaper than renting. I would be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Old 08-28-2017, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Probably a bit late but it's a good area.
Thanks for the head's up! We ended up taking a Hail Mary trip down there the weekend of the eclipse to check it out. We really liked the area. Checked out a few places in Lexington (Old Mill Brewhouse, Private Practice) and Columbia (Blue Marlin, Vista).

Kinda wish there was a place to grab a beer on the Southside of Lake Murray, without having to go all the way to Chapin. If I'm missing something there, please let me know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelia Smith View Post
Would you be interested in buying. There are down payment assistance programs for first time home buyers available. In this area, you can usually buy cheaper than renting. I would be glad to answer any questions you may have.
We're were't interested in buying just yet. It's not a financial thing as much as the fact that we wanted to get more familiar with the area first.

Old 09-19-2017, 03:40 PM

3 posts, read 2,410 times
Good luck with the move! I am also relocating to Columbia towards the end of October, to Irmo. Best of luck!

Old 09-20-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazy_epic View Post
Good luck with the move! I am also relocating to Columbia towards the end of October, to Irmo. Best of luck!
Thank you!

Best of luck to you as well!

Old 09-24-2017, 05:18 PM

878 posts, read 465,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL0072 View Post
Thanks for the head's up! We ended up taking a Hail Mary trip down there the weekend of the eclipse to check it out. We really liked the area. Checked out a few places in Lexington (Old Mill Brewhouse, Private Practice) and Columbia (Blue Marlin, Vista).

Kinda wish there was a place to grab a beer on the Southside of Lake Murray, without having to go all the way to Chapin. If I'm missing something there, please let me know!

We're were't interested in buying just yet. It's not a financial thing as much as the fact that we wanted to get more familiar with the area first.
A place you should check out for beer on the Eastern Shore of the lake in Irmo is Liberty on the Lake. And on the Lexington side of Lake Murray is Levi’s Lakehouse. Though only Liberty is actually on the lake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area