Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2017, 03:13 PM

10 posts, read 16,916 times

Advertisements

Hey Everyone!

So my boyfriend and I are relocating to Columbia, SC this October. I'm transferring for my job, with the office in Northeast Columbia (around Midlands Technical College: Northeast Campus). He'll be looking for a job as an Engineer.

We don't have kids, but have 2 pups. Considering this, we are looking to rent a house with a fenced in yard. Some space/acreage would be great, but it's been pretty hard to find.

Lexington keeps being recommended to us, while being cautioned against Irmo. We've heard Gilbert is a good option as well, with us getting a little more space for our money. We'll likely have questions going forward, but for starters:

1. Are there any real estate agents who specialize in rentals? They're fairly common in larger cities, but I wasn't sure about Columbia.

2. Is it common to find "For Rent" signs in yards, as opposed to online? Zillow, Realtor and Trulia haven't had much that has met our criteria. Neither have specific rental companies (Turner Properties, Conrex, American Homes for Rent, etc). Basically, we're not sure if taking a trip down (we're currently in Ohio) to drive around looking for rentals would be worth the time.

Neither of us are familiar with the area, so we are definitely open to any suggestions/advice you have.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2017, 04:03 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,507,637 times
If you're working in NE Columbia, live in NE Columbia. There are many nice neighborhoods in that part of town. The area would mostly be referred to as Columbia NE, NE Richland, NE Columbia, Blythewood, Killian, Wilson Blvd, Pontiac, Spring Valley, Wildewood and a few other neighborhoods.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:01 PM

That's a good point.

I should have mentioned that we are aiming for the western side of town, as my boyfriend is considering job opportunities in Aiken as well.

Old 08-09-2017, 05:11 PM

744 posts, read 741,152 times
Zillow is pretty common here, but not many real estate agents work in rentals. I agree with waccamatt, you really don't want to drive from Gilbert to NE Columbia every day. You are easily looking at a 45-1 hour commute, with up to 1.5 or 2 hours if there is an accident or accidents, which are quite common on I-20. If you want to be close to downtown, Forest Acres is also a good choice. Real Estate is fairly reasonable in the most parts of the Columbia Area. If you are looking towards the west side of town, Quail Hallow in West Columbia would be a good choice. Traffic is going to be way worse for you going from Gilbert to your job, than for him traveling to Aiken.

Old 08-10-2017, 09:28 AM

14,209 posts, read 14,607,922 times
I20 is not a bad commute road to and from Aiken especially if staying on it through malfunction junction. Just keep left.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:42 AM

10,916 posts, read 21,890,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JL0072 View Post
Considering this, we are looking to rent a house with a fenced in yard. Some space/acreage would be great, but it's been pretty hard to find.
You're not likely to find a house to rent with anything more than a pretty standard .25 acre lot. What price range? Rentals come and go fast, especially if they are unique like a home with some land.

Quote:
Lexington keeps being recommended to us, while being cautioned against Irmo. We've heard Gilbert is a good option as well, with us getting a little more space for our money.
You're working in NE Columbia so stay in NE Columbia, Blythewood, or Lugoff Elgin. The commute will be long with traffic from the other locations you mentioned even though they are all fine areas.

Quote:
1. Are there any real estate agents who specialize in rentals? They're fairly common in larger cities, but I wasn't sure about Columbia.
No, they don't pay anything here unless you're the agent managing the property. You'll have to go directly through the management company to see what they have available.

Quote:
2. Is it common to find "For Rent" signs in yards, as opposed to online? Zillow, Realtor and Trulia haven't had much that has met our criteria. Neither have specific rental companies (Turner Properties, Conrex, American Homes for Rent, etc).
Yes, it does happen. Many people try to save a few bucks and manage their own homes. It can be hard to find those as they don't do much advertising other than a sign in the yard.

Old 08-11-2017, 07:44 AM

10,916 posts, read 21,890,647 times
Quote:
That's a good point.

I should have mentioned that we are aiming for the western side of town, as my boyfriend is considering job opportunities in Aiken as well.
It would be good if you figured that out before you rented. In that case I'd say stay near the interstate in West Columbia or Lexington. If you can get a rental close to I-20 in Lex you'll both have 30-45 minute commute but at least it's sort of the middle. How much are you looking to pay?

Old 08-14-2017, 12:42 PM

Default Moving to Columbia

Thank you all for the advice! It's much appreciated.

We'll keep Forest Acres and Quail Hollow in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
It would be good if you figured that out before you rented. In that case I'd say stay near the interstate in West Columbia or Lexington. If you can get a rental close to I-20 in Lex you'll both have 30-45 minute commute but at least it's sort of the middle. How much are you looking to pay?
We're hoping to stay under $1200. I haven't researched Elgin or Blythewood much, aside from just generally hearing good things.

If old-school, "For Rent" Signs are in yards, I wonder if it's worth just taking a Hail Mary trip down there within the next few weekends and scoping out various neighborhoods.

Old 08-14-2017, 06:01 PM

14,209 posts, read 14,607,922 times
Quote:
Thank you all for the advice! It's much appreciated.

We'll keep Forest Acres and Quail Hollow in mind.

We're hoping to stay under $1200. I haven't researched Elgin or Blythewood much, aside from just generally hearing good things.

If old-school, "For Rent" Signs are in yards, I wonder if it's worth just taking a Hail Mary trip down there within the next few weekends and scoping out various neighborhoods.
I cannot say I have ever seen a yard sign for a rental. Most major apartment complexes have a rental office or a sign with a number to call.

You talked about one working in Columbia and one in Aiken. If so, Elgin or Blythewood should be out of the question. I still the same, check out West Columbia and Lexington. Split the commute in time.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:24 PM

730 posts, read 1,396,513 times
If one has to work in Aiken, you should live on the Lexington side of the Columbia area. Depending on where the job is in Aiken, it would be quite a haul from in-town Columbia and the Northeast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area