Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 01:48 PM

10 posts, read 16,954 times

Advertisements

Looking for suggestions on what the best grocery stores are in Lexington. There seem to be quite a few more options down there than I'm used to in Ohio:

BiLo, Food Lion, Publix, Kroger, Piggly Wiggly, Earthfare and Lowes. (which took me a minute to realize that this wasn't the hardware store with a grocery aisle thrown in, haha).

Looking for a upper mid-scale pick. Not quite Whole Foods/Earthfare, but more than say...an IGA.

We'll be in the Oak Grove area, which is a bit east of Lexington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 02:50 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
JL

I live in Oak Grove. My overall favorite grocery store is Publix on Sunset Blvd. Lowes has become my second favorite and it is also on Sunset Blvd. Mineral Springs Road to Sunset Blvd for both of them. KJ's IGA is my I need it quick and I need it now plus its convenience (Oak Drive and Rte 1) makes it handy. I was at KJ's today for OJ and bread. My 3rd favorite is Bi-Lo if one is convenient. There is a nice, new Kroger Store in Irmo but it is a bit far away unless I am in that area.

I shop convenience and selection, not price, so I cannot compare the prices.

Old 09-16-2017, 05:19 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,265,411 times
I have gotten to where I prefer the Lowe's Food over the other choices, mostly for the quality of the product and good selection. The only gripe I have is that at times they get too busy and you can't get through the checkout quickly. And don't poo-poo the IGAs, they are usually locally owned and the owner is often on site overseeing his operation. There is a lot to be said for that.

Old 09-16-2017, 06:10 AM

I shop at K&J's mainly for their for their convenience to me. Their product selection is lacking. I recently need some pearl onions for a stew. They did not have any. Their meat selections are more along the lines of good old, down home country cooking.

Old 09-18-2017, 01:14 PM

10 posts, read 16,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LexingtonDad View Post
And don't poo-poo the IGAs, they are usually locally owned and the owner is often on site overseeing his operation. There is a lot to be said for that.
Totally agree. I didn't mean to knock IGAs at all. It's just that at least in Ohio: they don't know have the selection or quality attributed to other stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post

JL

I live in Oak Grove. My overall favorite grocery store is Publix on Sunset Blvd. Lowes has become my second favorite and it is also on Sunset Blvd. Mineral Springs Road to Sunset Blvd for both of them. KJ's IGA is my I need it quick and I need it now plus its convenience (Oak Drive and Rte 1) makes it handy.

We're in the same boat. When I am keeping an eye on the budget, I'll just buy my produce and dry goods at Aldi's.

Looks like were are pretty close to KJ's, so I'm sure we'll run there for little things we need on the fly. I was a bit discouraged to see that Publix is a solid 15 minutes away. That seems far, especially considering
I currently live around the corner from my primary store.

Oh well. Win some, lose some.

Thank you both for your help!

Old 09-24-2017, 04:13 PM

1,124 posts, read 926,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
JL

I live in Oak Grove. My overall favorite grocery store is Publix on Sunset Blvd. Lowes has become my second favorite and it is also on Sunset Blvd. Mineral Springs Road to Sunset Blvd for both of them. KJ's IGA is my I need it quick and I need it now plus its convenience (Oak Drive and Rte 1) makes it handy. I was at KJ's today for OJ and bread. My 3rd favorite is Bi-Lo if one is convenient. There is a nice, new Kroger Store in Irmo but it is a bit far away unless I am in that area.

Don’t forget Aldi and Lidl.

Old 09-24-2017, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Been there. Done that. Do not like. Not going back.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:33 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,565,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
Has Lidl already opened?

Old 09-25-2017, 04:25 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Default Lidl #1120, 5215 Sunset Boulevard, Lexington, South Carolina 29072-9156

Lidl #1120 is not open yet.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:09 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Noticing activity from supermarkets BI-LO, IGA, and Lowe's Foods; limited assortment grocer Lidl; and specialty gourmet grocer The Fresh Market, I compiled a list of grocery retailers in varying grocery retail segments presently in Lexington County, South Carolina:

Supermarket
  • BI-LO (8 stores): Batesburg-Leesville, Cayce (2 stores), Columbia, Lexington (2 stores), West Columbia (2 stores)
  • Food Lion (10 stores): Ballentine, Chapin, Gaston, Irmo, Lexington (3 stores), South Congaree, West Columbia (2 stores)
  • IGA (6 stores): Batesburg-Leesville (KJ's Market), Coumbia (KJ's Market), Gaston (Gaston IGA Foodliner), Gilbert (Gilbert IGA), Lexington (KJ's Market), Pelion (Shumpert's IGA)
  • Kroger (1 store): Irmo
  • Lowe's Foods (2 stores): Lexington
  • Piggly Wiggly (1 store): Lexington
  • Publix (5 stores): Chapin, Columbia (2 stores), Lexington (2 stores)
  • Walmart Neighborhood Market (3 stores): Cayce, Columbia, Lexington
Hypermarket
  • Walmart Supercenter (7 stores): Batesburg-Leesville, Columbia (2 stores), Irmo, Lexington (2 stores), West Columbia
Wholesale club
  • Sam's Club (1 store): Columbia
Limited assortment/discount grocery
  • Aldi (3 stores): Columbia, Lexington, West Columbia
  • Save-A-Lot (1 store): West Columbia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area